A2A Spitfire Installation Problems

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
the_nazarene
Airman Basic

A2A Spitfire Installation Problems

Post by the_nazarene »

Hi All

Just managed to recover my pc after installing or trying to install the new spitfire model. Upon installation the program told me that p3dv4 was already running and to stop it; it wasn't running and after repeated reboots etc without running the p3dv4 software the same message appeared upon trying to install; namely that p3dv4 was running and that the A2A software install would not continue and that no files were changed.

I went to msconfig and booted in diagnostic mode which allowed the install to take place but the Direct X install failed, then upon reboot i had no network or sound, so i went back to msconfig and couldnt run in normal mode or any other mode with networking as it stated msconfig had stopped working. I tried many fixes including safe boot, disabling windows defender and couldnt even reset my pc (saving files etc) as an error occured.

At the same time i had issues with seeing my monitor except through an HDMI cable and my keyboard stopped working - yes this has been a total wind up, checking forums on my phone as i had no internet on my pc etc

Finally decided to uninstall the A2A spitfire and that allowed me to boot in normal mode thought msconfig etc but my A2A software will not install and I'm loathed to try again lest it waste another 3 hours on fixing my pc.

I only just bought the model Spitfire 2 days ago - ant thoughts on the original install problem?

Thanks for reading - Naz

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: A2A Spitfire Installation Problems

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Naz,

Sorry to hear you've had some problems installing the Spit. Yours is the first report of this issue so it's a very unusual one.

Upon installation a couple of checks are made:

1. That Prepar3D is installed (its registry entry is checked); and
2. That the Prepar3D process isn't already running.

In your case #2 has been flagged for some reason. I'll have to do a bit more investigation into what's going on here. To help with this, please can you navigate to the following (hidden) directory...

C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Local\Temp

...Where you should find a MSI????.log file corresponding to the failed installations, where ???? are randomly-generated characters. If you can upload a copy of this log file to a file sharing service and post the link here I'll take a look.

However, it's unlikely that the installation process has caused the various problems with the keyboard and monitor which you describe. Do you have any other applications installed such as antivirus software (other than Windows Defender) which may be contributing to this issue?

Thanks,
Nick

the_nazarene
Airman Basic

Post by the_nazarene »

Hi Nick

Thanks for your attention. I attach the log requested here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/521w358aos174 ... e.txt?dl=0

Just to clarify, it my my inspired idea to attempt to install the spitfire having booted into diagnostic mode which caused all my problems as the install failed to install / update direct x.

It was only upon uninstalling the spitfire that I could use the computer again.

Thanks again - Naz

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Naz,

Thanks for that. I'll be in touch again once I've had a proper look through the log. I may have to forward this issue to the installer software vendors as it's the first time it's been reported and it's difficult to understand why the software is reporting a process running when it isn't.

In them meantime, please can you let me know if you have any antivirus software running during installation, and if so which supplier it's from. AV software is one possible culprit for odd behaviour.

Thanks,
Nick

the_nazarene
Airman Basic

Post by the_nazarene »

Hi Nick

I run malwarebytes and I’ve disabled windows defender.

I could try to disable malwarebytes...

Naz

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Naz,

Yes please - could you give that a try? I tested the installers with 6-7 different AV engines to try and check for any problems but Malwarebytes is one I didn't check with.

The contents of the installer log doesn't give too many clues as far as I can see. However, the installer actually launches the Prepar3D executable using a command line argument as part of the installation process. (This is the method by which various add-ons.cfg files are updated.) I'm wondering if in your case this is related to the issue.

Also, are you installing using a full admin account?

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. Windows Defender shouldn't cause any issues: this is the only AV software I use personally, and I have it running for all my installations.

the_nazarene
Airman Basic

Post by the_nazarene »

I'll try this w/e - my account is full admin and running as Admin makes no difference.

I'll let you know about Malwarebytes.

All the best- Naz

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks Naz - interested to hear how you get on.

If running the installer with Malwarebytes disabled doesn't help, please can you list any other utilities which you have running in the system tray? It seems to me that there must be something unusual present on your system which is causing this issue.

Cheers,
Nick

the_nazarene
Airman Basic

Post by the_nazarene »

Quitting Malwarebytes didn't fix it but exiting process lassos did! Nicely done - now it's time to crash a Spit!

Thanks fella!

Naz

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Naz,

That's great news and thanks for posting back with the identity of the software which was the culprit. Process Lasso - I'll have to remember that in case the issue crops-up again. :)

Cheers,
Nick

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”