engine volume question WOP3

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
ripvan
Airman

engine volume question WOP3

Post by ripvan »

Hi everyone !

When I move the throttle (boost) thru its range, the engine volume gets too loud (high boost) and then way too soft (low boost)

The volume differences are choppy, not smooth as it transitions throughout the boost range, as well.

Just installed accusim 2016 update which helped a lot of things but not this issue.

(My A2A WW2 Spit did not do this. I could bring throttle down like for landing and idle sounded like it did on the ground with the exception of wind noise.)

Thanks for any help

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: engine volume question WOP3

Post by Scott - A2A »

I take it you have the Accu-Sim pack installed before running the update? Do you have any other Accu-Sim airplanes and do they sound OK to your ears?

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

ripvan
Airman

Post by ripvan »

I installed the WOP3 Spit first then the Accu-sim expansion pack and had no problems with install.

Then after some flying, I installed the 5-9-16 update I found in the sticky. It really helped some things like the vibration effect, etc. (engine sounded like I described before 5-9-16 update as well)

BTW, is there a difference between the 'core' update I've seen posted and the 5-9-16 update?
Do I need the core update?

This is the only Accu-sim plane I have and just purchased it this weekend from A2A.

Thanks so much for your help! Engine sounds are very important to me, especially when landing.

Windows 7 64bit
Realtech high definition audio

BTW Scott, my Spit throttle is SUPER sensitive with accu-sim, via the slider on Logitech 3D,
but when I calibrate stick everything shows fine
(as with ANY other plane I fly without Acc-usim. the slider/throttle/sound responds normally.)
I can barely touch the throttle and if I move slider fast, the boost gauge and sound goes crazy.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

G'day,

The throttle travel on the Spitfire is only 15cm / 6" . That means, in the Baby, about the horsepower of a small car per 1/2" !!! So yes, it is sensitive.

With the sound... Can you check that the red tab on the front of the throttle body is vertical not laying forward. If it is forward, the boost control is overridden and opening the throttle will release all the Hounds of Hell, making you feel like the whole thing is about to shake itself apart, that is realistic.

Oh, and yes, the newly purchased aircraft must be updated and yes, these days the one you found is the only update required... It is the core update, just the way that is achieved is different to what it was when the Spitfire first came out. Now the updater is run once for ALL of the A2A Accusim aircraft instead of once for each one.

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

ripvan
Airman

Post by ripvan »

Thanks for the info on the update thing. I was really wondering about that.

Like I posted previously after the 5-9-16 update every thing came alive.

But this volume thing still doesn't act right.

When I come in for landing I open canopy just to hear engine because its really low volume

when I take off at high boost the engine is suddenly really loud even with canopy closed

Oddly, the VC cockpit RPM filenames are not even mentioned in the sound folder config,
just the 1xwop viewpoint 2 are initiated in config not the 1wop viewpoint 1 filenames

And yes the supercharger lever is vertical.

(my first spit was the justflight model and I used to fly around with sup charger and throttle wide open lol)

THANKS AGAIN MATE

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Ok, that certainly doesn't sound right about the engine noise!

Do you use a separate sound card or on board? Do you run through an amp etc?

Just a note, the sound is external to FSX/P3D, in Accusim Module, so no, you won't see the sound files in the FSX files.

(And don't get me started on the Justflight Spitfire 262 :) :) :)
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

ripvan
Airman

Post by ripvan »

Man that thing is a screamin' demon with the outside views !

HDMI out to a stereo most of the time and loud where I can feel it.

I'll keep checking back on the OP

Appreciate it

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Scott is heavily into sound, so I am sure he'll get you sorted!

BTW, I run a full scale throttle built from factory drawings in "Moody Blue" and using it really gives a sense of the small amount needed. Heaven only knows how a Griffon with 150hp per 1/2" would feel!

Cheers

Darryl

ripvan
Airman

Post by ripvan »

Hey this is what I did...
Dropped my WW2fighters sound folder into wop3 Spit folder and wow it mixes the accusim stuff with my old favorite engine sounds.

I had noticed that the sound config for the Spit did not use a lot of the filenames in sound folder so I assume accusim took over a lot of the sound including engine of course.

This way it kinda mixes the two

I couldn't be happier.

I did have to disable my old flap sound because it went crazy after I swapped sound folders and I probably will have a few tweaks yet

Cool ! I love the Accusim part of things now

Thanks I'll be back and back and back :D

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Well, not what I would have done....but glad you are enjoying her.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Keep in kind on our Accusim birds that, internal sounds are from our accusim engine and external sounds are from FSX. Are you speaking of the external or internal sounds?

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

ripvan
Airman

Post by ripvan »

Oh yes VC only.
BTW, regarding my previous post, I switched sound folder back to the original. It only seemed to help because the WW2fighter engine sound was layered beneath the wop sound.
It would'nt shut down at same time, two start ups, etc.
It was like having two motors.

This is as plain as I can describe it...
As I increase boost, it suddenly jumps in volume to the next stage of boost and so on,
decrease boost, vice versa
On approach as I decrease boost, motor volume seems to fade away.

PLANE sound config tweaks did nothing for this and seems to be an accu sim thing
but I can find no Accu sim config (or folder)

Thanks for the help guys

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

OK I'm starting to think you maybe don't have an issue. The engine sound would indeed fade as you come in to land the big noice in such circumstance is actually the sound of the wind and prop rather than engine. I wonder if you are expecting the old FSX traditional less realistic sounds over whats actually happening and we have programmed into the Accu-sim simulation engine.

Also shift + 3 has the volume slider for your Accu-sim sounds.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

ripvan
Airman

Post by ripvan »

You may be right. I just flew it and am trying to convince myself I'll have to get used to what is probably the realism of it.

Open canopy for approach helps a little

My old sounds, like I said, when I pulled back throttle the motor sounded basically the same as if I was idling on ground.

I need to remind myself Im not flying a stock car lol

Thanks for the help

Overall Accu sim is still a blast !

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

ripvan wrote: My old sounds, like I said, when I pulled back throttle the motor sounded basically the same as if I was idling on ground.
Yes that's 100% not realistic, just as how if your in a car doing 70mph and come off the throttle the car doesn't sound like its sat at idle not moving because of all the other noise taking over and what not, after all your still doing just under 70 :)

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”