No real sound from Spit wheels on runway....?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
BILL1949
Airman First Class

No real sound from Spit wheels on runway....?

Post by BILL1949 »

I'm finding that I no longer hear wheels rolling on the runway in my Spit IIB. I used to, but this change might be since I ran the 2015 Accu-sim update. I miss that sound because the sound of the engine seems to accentuate when the sound of the wheels disappears. The sound does occur on my vid(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-6sR83Ocmg), recorded before the update (just to show some guys at ex-work).

I also find that the sound settings in FSX make no difference to this - even if I mute all of them they are still there, exactly as before. Do the FSX sound sliders only affect the FSX aircraft?

How can I get that sound back? The gear makes a sound as I touch down, but no wheel sound :( . Is there a config file that I need to look at?

BTW - I also find I have no need to use rudder at take-off - once again maybe since the update. Related...?
BTW 2 - If you find time to view my vid & to let me know where I'm going particularly wrong I'd be happy to hear (.....if there's enough pixels on the screen to cover such a list.. :oops: )
A2A Spitfire, A2A Cherokee
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: No real sound from Spit wheels on runway....?

Post by Piper_EEWL »

First of all I have to admit that I only watched the takeoff and landing of the video so far (I'll get back to it later :wink: ). And I don't think I've ver had that tire noise. It's clearly audible in your video but I've never noticed it in my installation. It seems to be fairly loud for the noise the tires would make. Keep in mind that that Merlin didn't have mufflers :D

Did you try to move the Accusim sound slider in the Shift+3 menu? That slider controls the volume of the Accusim sounds.

One thing I've noticed during your final approach is that you're pretty slow. It seems like you're entering a stall before you're at the numbers. I would add maybe twenty mph to your final approach speed. The runway seems sufficiently long enough and the added speed also brings the Jose down a bit more.

Nice video!

Thanks for sharing
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

Many thanks Piper for your info, observations & advice on my flying (much appreciated, really, I WILL take note) - and for the kind words :D .

So maybe the update actually corrected an inappropriate level of tyre noise then? That possibility hadn't occurred to me - probably because I like the accent that's given to the engine sound as the tyre sound is lost - but if that level of tyre sound is inaccurate, then such a change is only right.

Yep, my SHIFT+3 volume slider is always at max. It also now makes sense of course that there's only 1 slider for Accu-sim sounds and that the FSX sliders won't affect Accu-sim aircraft - this maintains the correct balance between the various sounds as heard from within the aircraft.

Approach - yep - don't know if you'll have noticed since you watched previously, but there is a speech-bubble commenting on the slight shudder of the Spit and that I was too slow (I think this is because I park outside the Southend Flying Club, so I want to turn off the runway at 1st opportunity & get to parking ASAP, to avoid overheating :) ). But yes, as above, I take note and will increase my approach speed.

Any thoughts on why, with no rudder trim set, I don't need any rudder at take-off....? Do you find that you need to use rudder in the IIB?

Many thanks again.
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

BILL1949 wrote:Many thanks Piper for your info, observations & advice on my flying (much appreciated, really, I WILL take note) - and for the kind words :D .

So maybe the update actually corrected an inappropriate level of tyre noise then? That possibility hadn't occurred to me - probably because I like the accent that's given to the engine sound as the tyre sound is lost - but if that level of tyre sound is inaccurate, then such a change is only right.
You're very welcome. Thank you for posting the video. I always enjoy watching those.

I don't know if the sound is accurate or not because I unfortunately have never flown a Spitfire in RL :wink: but I assume it's incorrect because you can't really hear the tires in RL. The only planes where the tires are noticeable that I've flown is a glider. Especially with the warbirds and the loud engines (as mentioned above) the noise seems unlikely for me. When's the last time you've run an updater before the most recent one?
BILL1949 wrote: Yep, my SHIFT+3 volume slider is always at max. It also now makes sense of course that there's only 1 slider for Accu-sim sounds and that the FSX sliders won't affect Accu-sim aircraft - this maintains the correct balance between the various sounds as heard from within the aircraft.
The Accusim sounds are only the internal sounds though. So if you turn the sounds way down with the FSX sliders in the external views the plane should be quite.
BILL1949 wrote: Approach - yep - don't know if you'll have noticed since you watched previously, but there is a speech-bubble commenting on the slight shudder of the Spit and that I was too slow (I think this is because I park outside the Southend Flying Club, so I want to turn off the runway at 1st opportunity & get to parking ASAP, to avoid overheating :) ). But yes, as above, I take note and will increase my approach speed.
I haven't seen the bubble :oops: But I will pay more attention the next time :wink:
BILL1949 wrote: Any thoughts on why, with no rudder trim set, I don't need any rudder at take-off....? Do you find that you need to use rudder in the IIB?

Many thanks again.
I think the Spitfire doesn't require a lot of rudder. The Mustang on the other hand is a totally different deal!

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

OFF TOPIC - just maybe of interest.
It might not be your bag, but on my channel I've put up a few vids of my combat in War Thunder (obviously not as 'real', but the combat is really fun, and certainly gets the adrenalin up!! :) ). This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trd8kyRVYAU is a live recording of a battle (ie - not of a replay, so only 1st-person views) - mainly just flying to battle to start with, but kicks off at about the 9-10 minute mark. Tho' I didn't survive to the end of the battle, I did pick up a couple of accolades.

Yes. All considered, no tyre noise in Spit makes perfect sense.
Gliders...
When I was a cadet in the Air Training Corps (er.. about 50+ years ago.... :oops: ) I had 2 glider flights on the 1 day that I went.
1st flight - while ascending - cable break - quick turn & land.
RAF Instructor: (In accent of stereotype handle-barred RAF officer) "Blast! Cable break."

2nd flight - while ascending - cable break - land as before.
RAF Instructor: "Blast! Cable break."
Me: "I know sir - had one this morning."
RAF Instructor: (Gently, same accent) "...Oh... Bad luck."
Usually, average of 2 breaks per week - 2 that day - I got 'em both!!

Started in FSX in Oct last year - got my Spit as Xmas pressie. I'm sure my only Accu-sim update has been that suggested, of 2015.

Yes, I believe 3rd person view does go quiet via the FSX sound sliders.

If I can force myself out of my Spit (briefly), I must re-try the FSX Mustang (don't have A2A version).

Hope I haven't broken too many forum 'off-topic' rules here.... :|

Many thanks Piper
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hehe don't worry about going off topic. I do it all the time :wink: You started the thread anyways so I'm sure no one will care.

Yes gliding. I did my glider license when I was 14 and we had one season where we had quite a lot of cable breaks. It was good practice. Thrilling at times.

The Spitfire is an excellent Christmas present. I got the B-17 (or at least part of it) as a present.

I don't know if the stock Mustang has that strong of a pull to the left. Ever since I got my first Accusim plane I hardly fly any other stuff :wink:

Happy flying

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

G'day,

A couple of things that might help..

1. Add a "controls full and free" check before engine start (no good firing up only to find the ailerons are jammed and then having to shut down again.)

2. Add a check of the trim positions..someone may have played with them...also, set one mark nose down trim for takeoff..will make things easier.

3. Don't forget minima .. everybody gets obsessed with maximum temps for the Spit.. but your takeoff run started with the radiator temp just below the 60C minimum limit for opening up, as far as I could see.... The real skill with the Spit is to start up, get in a FULL set of real pre-takeoff checks and get airbourne before the radiator boils. It IS possible but takes a lot of practice.

4. You should do an airscrew pitch check before takeoff.

5. Don't use "Auto Lean" below 50% throttle... ie don't lean to taxi. The mixture is actually a setting of where the automatic mixture system starts and its range, not a mixture in the pure sense. So you are telling it to use a lean range or a rich range, not to actually "run lean". In the real aircraft the lever is interconnected with the throttle to prevent autolean below 50%.

6 Approach. You will find it easier to start much closer in. Your temps only just stayed within maximum radiator even with a short ground run and a fairly low temp to start ... this is because you started way out on approach and had the flaps down for a long way. The flaps are more speed brake than "lift assistance" on the Spitfire. One look at them in the down position shows you why!! Previous advice on speed is spot on!

I would suggest, if you are interested, on you going back to the Checklists in the manual and following those. (either wartime or "modern"., I use Wartime but Mitchell worked very hard on getting them just right enough to shut up a pedant helper. )

Nice video and you have the Spit covered very well, better than many I have seen fly it!!

regards

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

BILL1949 wrote:Any thoughts on why, with no rudder trim set, I don't need any rudder at take-off....? Do you find that you need to use rudder in the IIB?
Hello Bill,

One thing worth checking is that you've made certain the sliders in the FSX 'realism settings' dialog are all the way to the right? If they're not, you may experience some issues with the flight model. Even if you normally run with them at fully realistic, I'd suggest double-checking just in case they've been reset to the default 'easy' values at some point.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

Piper - Wow! Licence at an age when I was only getting cable breaks!! Well done. What do you pilot nowadays? I can't see me affording to get PPL (& then affording to keep up the hours). But I really enjoy the P1 seat when I get a b/day 'fun' lesson :D.
I just tried the Mustang. I do, quite definitely, have to use rudder in that - but I can take feet off pedals when taking off in the Spit....(?)

Darryl - Many, many thanks for watching & giving some analysis & advice.
Nowadays, for Spit:
Rudder trim zero
Nose down 1 division (nose down might have been zero at time of the vid).
Since the vid I've been getting a little more into using prop pitch - but still don't fully understand when/how best to set it. I try to remember to take-off fine go to about 70% in flight, & fine again for landing.
If normal flight is long enough, I do get to set rad to 'Normal' until landing, & I'm now more aware of reaching operational temps before take-off.
I will re-visit all of your points & try very hard to follow. Thx.

Nick - Many thanks for that, a really good point. All realism setting sliders are currently fully maxed (& they have been ever since I first started with FSX). If all else seems OK - would you suspect the FM? If so, what then? (WATCH THIS SPACE - BRB)

As ever, many thanks to you guys :D .
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

OK. New post for this.
When I went back to re-re-check realism settings (all maxed, as stated) I noticed that AUTO-RUDDER was TICKED!!! DOH!!! :roll:

I really don't know how this'll have come about, I definitely wouldn't have done it intentionally - maybe an accidental careless click at some point. (I'm sure the coincidental Accu-sim update wouldn't have set this, would it?)

So - Now I DO need rudder to take-off in Spit - AND the rudder now has significant effect in flight :D :D (it did almost nothing before).

Beloved Spit - love it even more now.
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Ah..good to hear problem solved!!

I have the same trouble with E-Bay "buy it now" buttons activating "automatically" :) :) :)
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Killratio wrote: 6 Approach. You will find it easier to start much closer in. Your temps only just stayed within maximum radiator even with a short ground run and a fairly low temp to start ... this is because you started way out on approach and had the flaps down for a long way. The flaps are more speed brake than "lift assistance" on the Spitfire. One look at them in the down position shows you why!! Previous advice on speed is spot on!
Also if you want to do a curved final approach instead of a straight final approach it'll be easier to see the runway over the nose. Of course this will require some practice but that's how they do it in the real world with those warbirds. I'll check and see if I can find a video later that shows what I mean.

Take care

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

That'd be great - cheers Piper.

Darryl - Hope E-Bay don't sell planes...... :lol:
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Glad you fixed the rudder issue Bill. :) I'm not sure if there's anything (other than reselecting default settings) which would cause the "auto-rudder" settings to be selected automatically. Deleting a hardware rudder axis assignment perhaps? It could be as you say just a stray mouse click at some point.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

OK. MANY THANKS ALL.

Now firing on all cylinders (well, the plane is anyway :wink: ).
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”