No real sound from Spit wheels on runway....?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: No real sound from Spit wheels on runway....?

Post by Piper_EEWL »

BILL1949 wrote:Reckon I'd only get such a chance in a Spit if I was to sell my soul to the devil.....:twisted: hmmmm... wonder if that's worth a try..... :roll: :lol:
Hehe tempting :mrgreen: :wink:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

No real sound from Spit wheels on runway....?

Post by Jacques »

Brakes.... do you have CH pedals by chance? My right brake is almost always active unless I press firmly on the bottom of that pedal. I also have set a significant null zone which doesn't seem to matter. And, I have calibrated and re-calibrated in all about ten times this week.

Somehow, I had successfully configured that brake with no fancy process in my last installation of FSX. Sadly, that installation became unstable, so now I'm wrestling with the problem again in FSX:SE!

I think I might purchase a license for FSUIPC, which I hope will help tame the brake issue but I still have some research to do first. In addition, FSUIPC will help fix the ground friction problem you mentioned in your post.

There used to be a fix for ground friction in the unregistered version, but I currently have it applied and it doesn't appear to help much-- still seems to take quite a bit of power to get the warbirds moving whereas before a gentle nudge of the throttle was enough to get rolling.

edit-- I see I've come in quite late on this one...the perils of writing, letting it sit for a while and then not refreshing the browser before posting!!

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

Jacques - exactly the same as me!!
- CH pedals
- Have to press firmly on 'heel' of rudder pedals (seems to help)
- Multiple calibrations
- Null zones applied seemed ineffective

I did check for conflicts. There were a few keys (keyboard) mapped to brakes, but I never really touch the keyboard while flying - & certainly not those keys . Un-mapped them anyway.

On my very recent check (today), I did find that the brake null zones were re-set back to zero :? (I certainly don't remember doing that - but I guess I must have.....). I've now set them back to about 25% null & I'll re-try it later.

I'm still thinking that there might be an issue with the potentiometers, but I'd be very interested to know how you get on with your pedals.

Many thanks for contributing here Jacques.
A2A Spitfire, A2A Cherokee
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I tried this just a few minutes ago and it is showing promise. Put something like a CD case under the front of each pedal to rock it a bit back (as though you are lightly pressing the brakes). Go through the FSX calibration regime with your pedals (take the objects out while doing the rudder calibration, then put them back when you are set to apply the settings). I read this in a post somewhere as a suggestion from the CH help desk. I put my null zone back up a bit off zero.

Anyway, once done I loaded the P-47, did an auto start and put my feet on the pedal and started rolling. With my feet resting on the pedals to steer, I had no brake issues. When I took my feet off the pedals and reduced to idle, the P-47 rolled down the runway straight as an arrow....and I could turn the plane slightly and take my feet off the pedals without having the right brake coming on again. More tests, but it seems promising.

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

Jacques - I take it that you mean 'CD case under the HEELs of the pedals', then calibrate...?

I've actually done similar to this in the past - less precise, I just held off bringing pedals right back to the stop when calibrating - but I've just tried the 'CD backstop' method using even thicker than a CD.

My issue is also on the right pedal (at least, predominantly the right one), and this method of recalibration hasn't cured it - so I still think I must have a potentiometer issue.

I figure that although I had set large nulls for the brakes, I must have failed to SAVE that change - however, I just set the null for the right brake to 100% and I still have the issue of it erroneously moving the brake lever to about the 12:00 position on the stick.

Having now re-adjusted sensitivities (& nulls, for what that's worth) I'm currently finding that just a little pressure on my right heel seems to work around the problem (at the moment...).

Later, I'll try some taxiing to see if the plane moves off with less revs.....
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Yes, the heel of the pedal!

I think I have always had this issue with the right pedal....it kind of seems most people do, as well. One brake or the other.

I tried doing this with the CH control manager and it didn't take. So I used the calibration within FSX and it works fine. Lifting the heel, for me, built in a null zone so that when I place my foot on the pedal normally (instead of cramming my heel down) the brake is being sensed as "off". But it still took me a few tries with the calibration to get it to stick. As you mentioned, sometimes the settings get reset, usually due to our own error...which can be pretty frustrating!!

Regardless, I hope you get that sorted out soon, one way or another.

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

Well I just managed to get a short flight in.

With the sensitivity changes I made, I now find that (provided I keep my right heel down) my Spit will roll off easily on tarmac (bit more resistance on grass, as I imagine would be expected). In fact, I now NEED to use pedal-brakes/Parking-brake to prevent it from rolling when revs are slightly high.
The sensitivities were at about 50%, probably in some attempt to overcome the braking issue - I've now set them to 100% sensitive.
So - a worth-while exercise, even if I do still need to apply a little pressure with right heel (must look into that possible issue with the pot...., which to me looks like a manufacturing issue).

Of course, I now have to be more careful not to nose-over due to braking.... but that's fine.

Many thanks for your input Jacques (hope yours stays good).
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

OK. Update.

Got back into FSX. Spit IIB.
Found my rudder was randomly 'flicking'...
Unplugged pedals & re-plugged - same.
Finally, went to 'Calibrate' & did a 'Restore Defaults' - brakes & rudder fine since then..... :?

We'll see..... :|
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Mine is still good--hope yours will be, too!!

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”