A2A Spit roll

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: A2A Spit roll

Post by Killratio »

Bill,

I presume you do not use FSUIPC with your controllers? (VERY common 3rd party programme).

If not, that takes out some potential causes. Next, I would go through your config and make sure that you only have ONE control assigned to rudder trim. Where controls are duplicated (either in FSUIPC or A2A Configurator AND FSX.... or twice in FSX) I found a constant winding of the rudder trim full left, which would explain your symptoms somewhat.

So if I have Joystick button 1 and 2 (say) set as rudder trim left right and also Joystick hat switch then more often that not, on my system, I get full left trim deflection, leading to your symptom...WITHOUT actually touching anything....you can load up and immediately look left at the Rudder Trim wheel and watch it spin rearwards.

Just a thought.

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

OK. So here’s where it’s at.

(Darryl – no, not using FSUIPC, & without setting rudder trim myself it doesn’t move off zero as you’ve mentioned.)

However….
Piper. Jacques, Robert - The recommendation to set the microlight as the default seems to have done the trick! Many thanks. Oh, I wish I’d known that before – should I have been aware of this from documentation? (I confess I’m a typical bloke – read the instructions AFTER encountering a problem…..).

Last night I did precisely as Piper’s recommendation. After exiting & re-starting FSX I went to that default flight & swapped to the Spit IIB – NO ROLL :D . Previously, it was always rolling if I went straight to the IIB.

Once again, this led to a 3:00am finish (tired....), so I didn’t get as far as a complete PC shutdown & re-check. I hope to do this soon, but I use TrackIR and when the sun is out (as it is today, thankfully) it plays havoc with the head-tracking – I have to go to ‘special measures’ with hardboard when the sun is out, as the drawn blind still allows through enough IR to mess things up.

Piper – Mmm – just leaving Spit flying & bailing out is not best practice, I know, but the testing is so time-consuming - & I wasn’t aware that doing this would cause such ‘hangovers’.
On a similar (hangover) note, I’m finding that whatever I do after swapping from Microlight to Spit (saving flight) the Spit always re-spawns in a ‘non-cold‘ state (eg - with fuel cocks still open, generator on - even tho’ I closed cocks & set generator to off before saving the flight.
Any thoughts on that? On the ‘File’ menu, what does ‘Re-set’ do? (It doesn't seem to actually re-set.) Would re-installing the Spit cure these 'hangovers'? (Hope this is not too ‘off topic’ – I’m a bit useless with forums).
(BTW - I’ve had only 1.5hrs RL experience - a couple of ‘fun’ lessons in Cherokee - b/day pressies - still 1hr to book for another ‘landmark’ b/day.... – absolutely LOVED it & got to just 20ft above runway (at landing) before instructor re-took control).

Again, many thanks to all for helping me with this.
A2A Spitfire, A2A Cherokee
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

First, I'm happy to hear you may have solved the roll problem!

Second, what you can do to prevent the FSX default aircraft "hangover" is set the trike or the default Cessna on the ground, make sure the aircraft is off and all switches are off, then use the option to save this as your default flight.

When you next load FSX, you will start in this position, with the aircraft "cold and dark", then move to the airport you wish to fly from, then load in the Spit of yoir choice and they should be in a cold and dark status.

You can also achieve this by using the shift+3 (I think) 2d menu and click the box that says "Cold and Dark". Pretty useful tools to be found in those 2d pop-ups!

Congratulations on your B-Day flights! My wife did the same for me a few years back...probably the best present ever!

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I'm glad that worked. I hope it stays this way this time :wink:

As Jacques has already explained the only way to work around this issue is to have the standard flight saved with a default aircraft. You could set the default aircraft on the airport and then switch everything off as suggested and save that as the standard flight.

The 2D pop up window (shift+3) will also give you the option to select Cold&Dark and I'm sure there's also the option to select "Auto Cold&Dark" which means that every time you load the aircraft it will be in the Cold&Dark state. That would probably be useful to select if you don't want to shut it down correctly after every flight.

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

A2A Spit roll

Post by Jacques »

I would like to also add that you have met some really useful and helpful people already!

Piper is execellent at diagnosing problems with the sim as well as add-on aircraft of all sorts.

Robert is an amazing resource for classic aviation knowledge and navigation.

Darryl knows simply everything about the Spitfire (among other aircraft), real and simulated!

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Jacques wrote:I would like to also add that you have met some really useful and helpful people already!

Piper is execellent at diagnosing problems with the sim as well as add-on aircraft of all sorts.

Robert is an amazing resource for classic aviation knowledge and navigation.

Darryl knows simply everything about the Spitfire (among other aircraft), real and simulated!
Well thank you Jacques. But theres a lot of members here that know a lot more about the sim and aviation than I do. I have learned most of the stuff I know about the troubleshooting here in the amazing community that A2A has following their excellent products. There is a lot of knowledge on those forums for simulation as well as real world aviation related issues. I'm glad to be a part of this community.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

Absolutely Jacques – the help I’ve received here has been absolutely great. What a great bunch you all are.

And folks, I think the looney bird has landed :D.

I did try the trike as the default but couldn’t see how to set to ‘C&D’, or even just to switch it all off. The FSX aircraft don’t seem to have a C&D facility. No worries, I’ve saved the FSX Cessna Skyhawk as the default, after switching everything off that I could see.

Since then, I’ve gone to the default flight each time and then swapped to the Spit IIB – and I haven’t had the roll issue since :D :D !

I kept having the problem where there were ‘hangovers’ (fuel cocks still on etc), even doing exactly as recommended (well, I thought so anyway), so I figured I’d just have to auto-C&D – but when I went the ‘load default & swap to IIB’ route a little while ago, it was ALL SWITCHED OFF!!
And since the earlier Accu-sim update I’m not ‘Experimental…’ any more – I’m 'Supermarine P8385’ – BONUS!

Also, I’ve since done a re-start of my PC & gone thru’ it all again just to make sure – & ALL FINE!!

Piper, now it’s even Happier Flying!!
Many, many thanks to all.
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

You're right. The default airplanes don't have a C&D button. You'll have to put them into C&D manually but switching everything off. Avionics, lights, battery, masterswitch, magnetos and fuel basically. But that won't put the A2A planes into C&D. If you want those in C&D you'll have to do so through the Shift+3 menu. But I guess you got that already! :wink:

Anyways I'm glad we could help. If you need any more help just holler on the forums. Someone will be able to assist you I'm sure.

Happy (or happier :) ) flying

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

Will do. T.A.
:D :D :D :D :D :D
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Glad it has worked for you Bill!!
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”