Learn to fly a real Spitfire

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
HansR
Airman Basic

Learn to fly a real Spitfire

Post by HansR »

I dream of flying one of Boultbee's Spitfire in the future: http://www.boultbeeflightacademy.co.uk/#!spitfire/c1iyg Which of A2A's Spitfire model should I choose in the settings? Thank you!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Learn to fly a real Spitfire

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello and welcome to the forums, I am not sure I follow. What is it you are wanting to do?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

HansR
Airman Basic

Post by HansR »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Hello and welcome to the forums, I am not sure I follow. What is it you are wanting to do?

thanks,
Lewis
There is different models of real Spitfires at Boultit and at A2A. Eg there is different propellers. Which f A2A models are similar to the real Spitfires at Boultit? Sorry for my English.....

FlipS
Senior Airman

Post by FlipS »

The Boultbee's Spitfire is a Mk IX Trainer; the A2A Spitfires are Mk I and Mk II. There are many differences between a Mk I or II and a Mk IX; not the least the difference in power.
There are many differences between Mk I's and there are many differences between Mk II's and so there are differences between Mk I's and Mk II's. The most important difference is that the Mk I's were built in the Supermarine factories in Southampton and the Mk II's were built in Castle Bromwich near Birmingham but of course that is no technical difference.
The Mk I and II have a one stage supercharger, the Mk IX has a two stage supercharger. Therefor the Mk IX has a longer nose than the Mk I or II and together with this difference the tail is modified; so the Mk IX won't fly the same as a Mk I or II. The Mk II has a two position propeller, the Mk IX has a constant speed prop.
You could try the Mk IX of RealAir but that one is not as detailed as the A2A Spitfires and RealAir doesn't have Accu-Sim. You could add Gunther Teson's RealEngine to the RealAir Spitfire and you could add A2A's Accu-Feel but still it won't be A2A quality. If you start learning to fly a Spitfire in the A2A Mk I or Mk II, you will make a good start. Mind the p-factor on yaw which is larger in the Mk IX.

HansR
Airman Basic

Post by HansR »

FlipS wrote:The Boultbee's Spitfire is a Mk IX Trainer; the A2A Spitfires are Mk I and Mk II. There are many differences between a Mk I or II and a Mk IX; not the least the difference in power.
There are many differences between Mk I's and there are many differences between Mk II's and so there are differences between Mk I's and Mk II's. The most important difference is that the Mk I's were built in the Supermarine factories in Southampton and the Mk II's were built in Castle Bromwich near Birmingham but of course that is no technical difference.
The Mk I and II have a one stage supercharger, the Mk IX has a two stage supercharger. Therefor the Mk IX has a longer nose than the Mk I or II and together with this difference the tail is modified; so the Mk IX won't fly the same as a Mk I or II. The Mk II has a two position propeller, the Mk IX has a constant speed prop.
You could try the Mk IX of RealAir but that one is not as detailed as the A2A Spitfires and RealAir doesn't have Accu-Sim. You could add Gunther Teson's RealEngine to the RealAir Spitfire and you could add A2A's Accu-Feel but still it won't be A2A quality. If you start learning to fly a Spitfire in the A2A Mk I or Mk II, you will make a good start. Mind the p-factor on yaw which is larger in the Mk IX.
Thank you!

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

HansR wrote:
FlipS wrote:The Boultbee's Spitfire is a Mk IX Trainer; the A2A Spitfires are Mk I and Mk II. There are many differences between a Mk I or II and a Mk IX; not the least the difference in power.
Thank you!
Hans;

The way they will handle your flight is most likely the way we handle this kind of flight here in the US.
If the rear pit has fully functioning controls you will be given a bit of stick and rudder time while in flight where you have plenty of air between you and the ground. I doubt seriously if you will have to be worrying about takeoff and landing and dealing with things like P Factor :-)
For all intent and purposes if you can handle a Mk2 Spit in the air you can handle a Mk 9. For your purpose I wouldn't hesitate to practice up using the A2A Mk2 as your platform. As people say there are differences between the 2 and 9 but for your purpose the A2A Spit will do just fine to familiarize yourself with the basic Spit cockpit.
Just relax and enjoy your flight. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”