ENGINE STEAM

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
BLomas
Airman

ENGINE STEAM

Post by BLomas »

When flying my A2A Spitfire even when the temperatures are within limits or below there are often large puffs of steam emanating from the engine which strangely have the ability to travel at 200 knts! The A2A Spitfire is so well modelled it is quite photogenic and these high speed clouds of steam rather spoil the effect aesthetically. Is there any way to eliminate them?

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: ENGINE STEAM

Post by Scott - A2A »

Are you starting in the air by chance?
A2A Simulations Inc.

BLomas
Airman

Post by BLomas »

Scott - A2A wrote:Are you starting in the air by chance?
You will have to explain that question. I am a lifetime pilot experienced in flying and mending broken aeroplanes both engines and airframes, I fly these sim models as I would a real aeroplane. I have yet to see in the real world vapour travelling at 200 knts.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

What altitude are you starting at?
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

BLomas,

We simulate water condensation in the engine / exhaust, so when you start the engine, you can see white steam coming out of the exhaust as the water is burned off. This only lasts for a minute or so. If you start the simulation in the air, this can sometimes be seen in flight. The effect is designed / optimized when on the ground. Sometimes compromises must be made with the visual effects system, and this is one of them.

However, once warmed up, you should not have any white steam coming off the engine.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

BLomas
Airman

Post by BLomas »

Scott - A2A wrote:BLomas,

We simulate water condensation in the engine / exhaust, so when you start the engine, you can see white steam coming out of the exhaust as the water is burned off. This only lasts for a minute or so. If you start the simulation in the air, this can sometimes be seen in flight. The effect is designed / optimized when on the ground. Sometimes compromises must be made with the visual effects system, and this is one of them.

However, once warmed up, you should not have any white steam coming off the engine.

Scott.
Take off at 200 QFE. Even after a half hour flight there are still big puffs of steam coming out, I would have though these should be lost in the exhaust fumes. I have noticed in outside view they disappear and return according to angle of view. On the ground they are of course acceptable albeit a little too excessive with an engine at normal temperatures, running or just shut down. I fully appreciate that compromises have to be made and over-all the skill of the A2A modellers astounds me, there were no computers when I was growing up so I don't take them for granted I see them as magic! The trouble is the modellers are now so good we expect perfection.

BLomas
Airman

Post by BLomas »

BLomas wrote:
Scott - A2A wrote:BLomas,

Scott.
Take off at 200 QNH. Even after a half hour flight there are still big puffs of steam coming out, I would have though these should be lost in the exhaust fumes. I have noticed in outside view they disappear and return according to angle of view. On the ground they are of course acceptable albeit a little too excessive with an engine at normal temperatures, running or just shut down. I fully appreciate that compromises have to be made and over-all the skill of the A2A modellers astounds me, there were no computers when I was growing up so I don't take them for granted I see them as magic! The trouble is the modellers are now so good we expect perfection.

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”