Video - Cranfield to IWM Duxford in the Spit

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Video - Cranfield to IWM Duxford in the Spit

Post by Dreamsofwings »

I didn't get to go to Flying Legends this year so I thought I would go there virtually! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDieSnEU4II

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: Video - Cranfield to IWM Duxford in the Spit

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Nice video, the Spitfire looks great in this version of P3D!
(Note aren't the rpm little high? I noticed Accu-Sim giving you a warning about engine temperature.) :roll:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

LZ-WIL wrote:Hi,

Nice video, the Spitfire looks great in this version of P3D!
(Note aren't the rpm little high? I noticed Accu-Sim giving you a warning about engine temperature.) :roll:

Cheerz,
Will
Thanks Will, yes I was pushing it a little hard on this one whereas normally I am more gentle. All good learning experience and shows how good the accusim system is. One of the things that makes this aircraft so immersive.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Yep...nice video... You did bust the temp limit (before 60C Radiator) on the warm up tests :) And you might notice that the high oil temp and high revs earned you a hint black smoke in the cruise.
It would be interesting to see the change in cylinder health from one end to the other. (and a bit of a Moscow Approach, but whose counting :) :) :) )

But nice job...thoroughly enjoyed the video, thank you!

best regards

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Killratio wrote:Yep...nice video... You did bust the temp limit (before 60C Radiator) on the warm up tests :) And you might notice that the high oil temp and high revs earned you a hint black smoke in the cruise.
It would be interesting to see the change in cylinder health from one end to the other. (and a bit of a Moscow Approach, but whose counting :) :) :) )

But nice job...thoroughly enjoyed the video, thank you!

best regards

Darryl
Thanks Darryl! That hint of black smoke was the pilot having a cigar....ahem.
Yes I went a bit overboard with the revs on this one. I got the relaxed and enjoying the view:flying by the numbers ratio wrong on this one I freely admit.
My engine health went to fair shape after this flight so it is clear it didn’t help much. Every flight is always a learning experience.
Now I know you are a man who knows his stuff (I have your radiator and key numbers notes printed off though clearly did not use on this occasion!) but unless I have gotten something very wrong I started the run up tests when the radiator was over 60? Did I bust the rpm beforehand?

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Mea Culpa!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: I misread the gauge as the 80 mark being 60! I'd convinced myself you'd glanced at the gauge as reading 40 and perhaps confused it with the 40 oil temp "in the moment". My apologies, you were spot on. (Climbs back in to box :) :) :) ) 5:47 you are definitely right on the money! The idle is a little high during warm up but only fractionally.. two good needle widths of allowance below 1600rpm mark will give you about the 1200 warmup revs.

I have a few cigars myself whilst flying, so I know what you mean about the smoke :) .

As I said though, thoroughly entertaining video and a pleasure to see such faithful attention to (most) of the checks and numbers.

best regards

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Thanks Darryl, thats a good tip on needle position for 1200. Useful to know.
What I think is fascinating about accusim is that you really do have to be on your numbers. I nearly didn’t add this video to my channel because of the oil smoke and the steamy ending but then that’s what it is all about, learning and remembering that this is accusim and you can’t lark about with it. Had a sticky experience with carb icing a couple of years ago after larking about in the Comanche. Just goes to show, like in the real aviation world, you have to respect the aircraft. The mild aero’s shown in the video are about 50% of the full bore chucking the spit around like a goggle eyed idiot, doing low passes etc but didn’t include. RPMs way to high and that poor Merlin never stood a chance, it was bound to end in vapour twisting towards the heavens.
Robert Shaw would be walking out onto the dispersal with service revolver cocked and ready for that one!
Thanks for the work you put into those notes by the way. It’s really useful and one of the things I love about this community is people like you who put so much knowledge and extra detail into it. :)

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

My pleasure!

She is very close to "real".

When we originally did her, P9374 was not quite finished and I made educated guesses for a few things. When Andy's book came out I was worried that several things would be proven wrong. Luckily, almost all the numbers matched perfectly, as did testing alongside the aerobatics settings used by John Romain.

D

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Its’s also testament to the fidelity of this aircraft that the new sim at the Boultbee Flight Academy has it’s roots in it I believe.

I have that book on order :)

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

It has.... and the model is a blast to fly being Mk IX and more powerful. That model will be finished in the near future, all the better after yesterday's sad incident.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Nice video mate. Great fun to fly isn't she.

About ACG Duxford. If you want to get rid of the black taxiway line, copy the file taxiway_marks.dds from out of the main P3D Texture folder and paste it into the Texture folder for ACG IWM Duxford. On my system that would be...

Copy from G:\Prepar3D v4\Texture and paste into F:\P3D_addons\Addon Scenery\ACG IWM Duxford FSX\texture

If you change the default runway markings with a third party program, like REX 4 - Texture Direct for instance, you will have to repeat the copy process again.

Cheers
Steve.

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Killratio wrote:It has.... and the model is a blast to fly being Mk IX and more powerful. That model will be finished in the near future, all the better after yesterday's sad incident.
What happened?

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

bladerunner900 wrote:Nice video mate. Great fun to fly isn't she.

About ACG Duxford. If you want to get rid of the black taxiway line, copy the file taxiway_marks.dds from out of the main P3D Texture folder and paste it into the Texture folder for ACG IWM Duxford. On my system that would be...

Copy from G:\Prepar3D v4\Texture and paste into F:\P3D_addons\Addon Scenery\ACG IWM Duxford FSX\texture

If you change the default runway markings with a third party program, like REX 4 - Texture Direct for instance, you will have to repeat the copy process again.

Cheers
Steve.
Cheers Steve, thats a great tip!

Great little piece of scenery that, and free too! Even has the little wooden hut opposite ARC where you get your preflight briefing and brew!

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

robkr1208 wrote:
Killratio wrote:It has.... and the model is a blast to fly being Mk IX and more powerful. That model will be finished in the near future, all the better after yesterday's sad incident.
What happened?
SM520 was ground looped. Significant damage to the undercarriage and port wing. Prop strike as well. Being assessed but one estimate says 12 months out of commission.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Killratio wrote:
robkr1208 wrote:
What happened?
SM520 was ground looped. Significant damage to the undercarriage and port wing. Prop strike as well. Being assessed but one estimate says 12 months out of commission.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Oh no! Flew in her last year. Thats bad news for Matt and the team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”