Things that make me go "Hmmmmmmm" :)

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Things that make me go "Hmmmmmmm" :)

Post by Killratio »

I've heard it said, often, that the Spitfire is hard to handle, gets damaged easily, wears out quickly or overheats too quickly. As anyone who tracks their Spitfire's health AND handles her properly will tell you, none of the above is actually true. I operate my Spitfires to wartime tolerances and still get very reasonable "milage". No names no pack drill...but I saw a video today where the aircraft was in "fair" condition after 0.6 (yes POINT 6) since last overhaul and the guy was proud of that. It is a hard one to find (mistitled) on youtube but worth a giggle. There are some GREAT instructional videos on youtube but there are also some "others". If you are trying to learn from youtube, bear that in mind.

So, because I am an irritable old bar stool, (and to add to the Distilled Figures post), I'll list my top ten "pet peeves" so that those who know can laugh or nod knowingly, those who don't but care, can learn and those who are anything else can swear smugly at me in private...and go on wearing out their Spitfires accordingly....... Any resemblance to any person living or dead is absolutely intentional. You know who you are :) :) :)

In order of face-palm-ability and/or potential to do damage/cause undue wear:

10. Not doing preflight checks. OK..a lot of people fly for fun, I get it...but this kind of defeats the purpose of Accusim! Number 10 because it is more a choice than a mistake. And it won't actually damage you unless you miss something that is broken/worn/empty/clogged.

9. Turning on everything electrical before starting! Bad for the items, bad for the Accumulator. U/C Down light switches on with throttle range of motion check..Mags on..everything else OFF until after start.

8. Leaning mixture for ground operations ... the mixture is automatic and does this by itself, all that varies is the starting point. Auto Lean is ONLY used for relatively low power cruising.

7. DH 2 position Airscrew, starting OR cruising OR shutting down in Fine Pitch, taking off in Coarse Pitch.

6. Rotol Airscrew, busting 3000rpm on takeoff. This can happen easily as speed builds..the Rotol is NOT constant speeding at full forward on the lever, (that is why it is set to that for engine checks).

5. Power off steep descents...airflow driving the airscrew / shock cooling of engine metal.

4. Busting gear and flap lowering speeds.

3. The "Moscow Approach"..that is, lowering gear and lining up somewhere near Moscow for landing at Duxford. Bad for cooling, serves no purpose and just wrong. Fly at least a downwind at 800-1000 feet and with the strip on your left wingtip. Gear down mid downwind. Curved base/final.
See 4 above!

2. Flaps down as you pass Berlin...see 3 above (flaps SHOULD be put down AS you straighten onto short final).

But the number one that usually has me throwing anything from soft toys to screwdrivers to small children at my monitor:

1. Opening up, taxiing, testing, taking off before minimum radiator/oil temperatures are reached.

So if you WANT to keep your Spitfire healthy I hope the above helps. If you are happy to do whatever and take whatever result...have fun. It's only a simulator.......

...and just to show I CAN take a joke :

https://youtu.be/f4mvWzQWtgM

I watch this at least once a month!!!!!

best regards

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Things that make me go "Hmmmmmmm" :)

Post by Ron Attwood »

If we had 'likes' and 'ups' on here I'd give you a couple of each.

(Guilty of a few of those, not saying which. :oops: )
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Ron Attwood wrote: (Guilty of a few of those, not saying which. :oops: )

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Ron!
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

I just tried to watch that video. Aaaagh! I so wanted to smack him! :twisted:
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Oh, Darryl, I just watched that video. Thank you - I think. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Ron Attwood wrote:I just tried to watch that video. Aaaagh! I so wanted to smack him! :twisted:
I'll be right behind you in that queue :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Priceless isn't it?

I love it simply BECAUSE he doesn't take it seriously.

D

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”