A2A Development Update 4/8/18

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Buffy Foster

Re: A2A Development Update 4/8/18

Post by Buffy Foster »

I like the steam guages better anyway; they're easier to read for me. :)

Doofer911
Airman Basic

Post by Doofer911 »

Oooh that's intriguing! As a younger simmer I actually prefer steam gauges over the more modern glass suite avionics. I do appreciate the benefits but there's something more satisfying about steam gauges that I can't put my finger on.

Will you be talking more about this new tech closer to release?
https://www.youtube.com/user/Doofer911/
My Hangar = C172, C182, Comanche 250 + Constellation

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

To me, the biggest issue in the simulation of glass cockpits in particular on the FSX/P3D platform is the simulation of the screen itself. Most screen on screen simulations of cockpit displays simply don't look too realistic, and the graphics engine don't deal too well with tone mapping these displays which act both as light sources and reflectors. Readability in direct light and even with unavoidable reflections over the screen glass are issues that are targeted in the development of serious avionics. We lose all that on FSX/P3D, where these screens are not properly treated as emitting and reflecting surfaces.

Nowadays, however, there is capability to simulate classic gauges in accurate 3D models having depth, internal shadows and glass reflections over them. If this latest delay ( :mrgreen: ) gives some good value added to the actual function of these gauges, then oh my how good it will be - both in function and looks.

-Esa

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

AKar wrote:.... these screens are not properly treated as emitting and reflecting surfaces....
This is one of my biggest gripes with glass panels. I don't like having to play around with brightness, sunglasses, visors and head angle to be able to read the damn things under various light conditions.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Oracle427 wrote:
AKar wrote:.... these screens are not properly treated as emitting and reflecting surfaces....
This is one of my biggest gripes with glass panels. I don't like having to play around with brightness, sunglasses, visors and head angle to be able to read the damn things under various light conditions.
Stuff found in higher-end avionics is not all that bad, even if they give up some of that iPhone color and resolution. Also the good old CRTs are not too bad with good phosphors. But these (like the other screens developed for good readability in both bright and low light conditions) have this certain characteristic look on them, being very sharp and bright but of modestly low resolution. Hard to put into words. It is simply not there in the simulator.

-Esa

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I think I know what you mean. The Primus 1000 on the CJII Bravo might be an example of this better readability yet lower resolution?
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Oracle427 wrote:I think I know what you mean. The Primus 1000 on the CJII Bravo might be an example of this better readability yet lower resolution?
Yes, I think it is (not familiar with the particular suite, but looks familiar).

-Esa

hangarrat101
Airman

Post by hangarrat101 »

Krycekuk wrote:
caleb1 wrote:
Krycekuk wrote:Don't forget to give the B-17 some P3D love. I really miss flying her since moving from FSX to P3D.

Ooooo and 303 posts, I'm sure there is some connection there with the Spitfire ;)
I agree, I would like to see the B-17 in P3D. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how is the number 303 related to the spitfire? :)

Caleb

Well now I have to post and it becomes 304 its lost the significance ;)

The Spitfire had browning .303 machine guns. That was my tenuous connection with my amount of posts and the discussion of the A2A Spitfire making its way over to P3D
Further tenuous link, 303 (Polish) Squadron was the highest scoring RAF squadron in the Battle of Britain (although flying Hurricanes at the time.) They re-equipped with Spitfires in 1941.

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

Thanks Scott for the avionics update.

My feeling on Glass is they are amazing complicated systems. The new G1000NXI series is awesome with many many features. However unless a developer is prepared to simulate ALL of these features, then I don't think it is worth it. I remember having a good chat with Rob from Realair about this. He agreed that it wasn't worth it to model fancy glass cockpit unless those features/benefits of said glass cockpit could be properly simulated. Certainly not when the standard 'six' + GPS unit are already very capable and can do everything required for modern IFR flight, there is no need for a fancy G1000 or whatever. That being said, it is important to have options. As 'glass' is becoming the future, we pilots do need to learn how to use it. Perhaps an option involving F1's G600 and associated GNS/GTN unit would provide a nice intro into glass flying without requiring extensive modifications. I suppose it would depend on F1's G600 being able to handle accusim inputs.

I prefer steam myself too, the only 'glass' being the GPS unit. I think 'Steam' gauges teach you basic concepts much better than glass too. I still remember having to fly NDB approaches for my IFR checkride. Even though NDBs are on their way out, I believe the skills learned having to navigate NDBs are very important for developing good navigation 'instinct'....heads fall - tails rise!

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

So maybe the new gauge technology is that the gauge sticks and when you walk on your display screen the gauge unsticks?...
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

sniper31
Airman

Post by sniper31 »

I definitely favor steam gauges over glass cockpit setups. Heck, most of the time, if there is an option, I turn off the GPS option as well. I am a map and compass guy when it comes down to it....must be the Light Infantryman in me :lol:

fedemalfu
Airman

Post by fedemalfu »

I'm glad you're developing the Bonanza V35, such a great aircraft (2nd place after the good-old Comanche, of course). I'd like to know if it's going to be available both for FSX and P3D. Would you please make it for FSX too?

Cheers

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

fedemalfu wrote:I'm glad you're developing the Bonanza V35, such a great aircraft (2nd place after the good-old Comanche, of course). I'd like to know if it's going to be available both for FSX and P3D. Would you please make it for FSX too?

Cheers
They are making it for FSX too. 8)

fedemalfu
Airman

Post by fedemalfu »

Sounds awesome! Thanks! Let's sit back and wait, then :)

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

So my take on this is that the gauges in the BO will be better for IFR work. A competition to Xplane gauges which are smoother compared to fsx gauges. I could be totally wrong can’t wait for the promo video explaining things in better detail. Also can’t wait for the release duh
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”