A2A Ruined "Dunkirk" For Me (SPOILER ALERT)

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Yoda
Airman First Class

A2A Ruined "Dunkirk" For Me (SPOILER ALERT)

Post by Yoda »

I loved most of the film...the flying scenes were mostly believable and exciting. The cockpit was familiar (felt like home after so many hours in the A2A Spit), and I loved the plot device with the fuel gauge being shot out. How that's handled ramps up the tension and also made me think, "Yeah! That's pretty smart!" I cringed a little at the leader's instructions to the flight, "Stay at 500 feet to conserve fuel." Uh...no, but okay. I forgave that because SPITFIRES, y'all! SPITFIRES!

Until the last ten minutes. Tom Hardy seems to have gotten his hands on JK Rowling's personal Spit.

Also? Longest finals EVER. :shock:
Respectfully,

Kurt

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: A2A Ruined "Dunkirk" For Me (SPOILER ALERT)

Post by Killratio »

At least you didn't tell people that the Brits had to be evacuated from the beaches.. THAT would have been unforgivable!!!

(Oh...er...damn......)
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Killratio wrote:At least you didn't tell people that the Brits had to be evacuated from the beaches.. THAT would have been unforgivable!!!

(Oh...er...damn......)
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Paul

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

At least they used two actual Mk.1 Spitfires in the making of the movie, as well as a disguised early Mk.V - no CGI at all. The views of the actors in the cockpit, going through maneuvers, was all captured actually in-flight, not using a green screen, by using a highly modified Yak-52TW, flying side-by-side with the real Spitfires. The forward cockpit section of the Yak was modified to look like a Spitfire, and an Imax camera was mounted, on various flights, on the left wing looking toward/through the cockpit, at the actor - behind the forward cockpit, over the should of the actor - and on the right wing, viewing the nose and tail which had been modified and painted to resemble a Spitfire.

https://www.aironline.nl/weblog/2016/07 ... her-nolan/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/supasmokey/28629521065/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/supasmokey/28079338584/

All of the Stukas and He-111's seen in the movie are all RC models:
http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... &p=1041563
John Terrell

Scotters
Airman First Class

Post by Scotters »

Were the ME 109s models too like the Stukas?

Btw it was an awesome intense movie!

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

No, they used one of the UK-based Hispano Buchons, dressed as a Bf-109.

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/dunkirk.html
John Terrell

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Cheers for the pics John. Interesting that they took the trouble to simulate the sutton harness...obviously using a modern belt (lap?)in the aircraft itself for safety.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

I went to see this film on Thursday and enjoyed it. The director clearly choose not to try to tell the entire tale of Dunkirk, rather a few slices of the action. It didn't depict the vastness you'd expect given that about 350,000 soldiers packed the beaches at Dunkirk. It is a good tribute to the bravery of all who took part in the evacuation, so should be viewed in that light. My criticism of it related to the lack of planes - it would have been good to see more. I suspect that the lack of planes and lack of scale were largely budgetary. The film would never have made a cracker if the director had chosen to film a blockbuster. There has been some criticism on social media along the lines of the movie just being about a "bunch of white guys", but obviously these people are only displaying their ignorance, thinking they can compare the world of today with 1940. I won't mention the obvious historical significance lost on most of today's audience, which is a great pity.

Anyway, if you love the A2A Spitfire, go along and see it for yourself. I think it's worth it but please excuse the never ending glide at the end of the movie. We'll call that "artistic licence" :lol:

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Dogsbody55 wrote:My criticism of it related to the lack of planes - it would have been good to see more.
Mike
I think the Infantry thought very much the same at the time Mike :) :) :)

Mr.Mugel
Airman First Class

Post by Mr.Mugel »

Thanks for the Trivia supplied in this thread. I wondered why the shots from the side of the plane showed the fuselage so round. Being shot on a Yak-52 explains it, though. As well as the white wooden throttle handle.

I really liked the atmosphere and the concept of the movie. Well worth watching in my opinion.

When I was younger I didn´t like the Bouchons being used in the Battle of Britain movie, as they weren´t accurate. But after seing the CGI alternatives in movies like Red Tails, I was really happy to see real flight scenes in a movie. It felt so much more authentic.

Had to see the german synchronized edition as I was with friends, but I might go ahead and see it with the original soundtrack again.
Kinda' like Accusim....

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I saw it today with my wife. It was, IMHO, totally worth it.

My wife's mom was a war bride. Her dad was in England from before the USA entered the war, working on the electronic warfare equipment. In 1946 her mom flew back to the USA on a TWA Connie, which I suspect was a L049 type. In 1994 we walked through the remnants of the Coventry Cathedral with Carolyn's mom, who was there when it got bombed. Heavy duty.

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”