navigating with the Spitfire no VOR / no NDB

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: navigating with the Spitfire no VOR / no NDB

Post by Killratio »

Styggron wrote:
none of that helps when it is snowy and foggy and you have to fly. Really need at least an NDB :(
Ah... but that is exactly why we have minima.

During wartime there was a much more liberal application but there were still times when you just DIDN'T take off.
It is always better to be "down here wishing you were up there" than the alternative!

D
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Styggron wrote:none of that helps when it is snowy and foggy and you have to fly. Really need at least an NDB :(
You are of course correct. Fortunately it's the 21st Century now, so all my aircraft have GPS fitted. If I feel like a challenge I can dial up some awful weather and still go out on a sortie.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Very true.

Well, I guess the best I can do is to try to know the area a little and REALLY keep careful track of headings. It's when I need to keep track of time as well or more accurately, I need to calcuate time based on speed to know where the next heading should roughly be.

Still when it is foggy and snowing, it can still be extremely hard to tell where you are.

Of course we have the pilot map but I'm trying not to use it. During WWII of course airfields were also camoflaged. In BoBII I have a stack of problems playing as I can never find the airports. It is a game I have tried many times to really get into but just never could. Coupled with the lack of youtube vids of people playing it, it sits there. I jump in get frustrated with it and give it up again for a few more months. :(
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Styggron wrote:Very true.

Well, I guess the best I can do is to try to know the area a little and REALLY keep careful track of headings. It's when I need to keep track of time as well or more accurately, I need to calcuate time based on speed to know where the next heading should roughly be.

Still when it is foggy and snowing, it can still be extremely hard to tell where you are.

Of course we have the pilot map but I'm trying not to use it. During WWII of course airfields were also camoflaged. In BoBII I have a stack of problems playing as I can never find the airports. It is a game I have tried many times to really get into but just never could. Coupled with the lack of youtube vids of people playing it, it sits there. I jump in get frustrated with it and give it up again for a few more months. :(
Familiarity with the area does help. Once you settle for some scenery files and fly with them often enough you get to know it. I just kept going further and further out but I do use GPS for a long haul, or if I get lost.

Ha! Speaking of camouflaged airfields, reminds me of what my father told me once, when I asked him as a kid "what did you do in the war dad". He said he painted runways green and grass black. I thought he was kidding then but found out much later that it was true. Before he was called up and became a Royal Marine, he did help camouflage RAF Pembrey including the runway. Now it's just EGFP Pembrey. Strange times. Stranger still was when a Focke-Wulf 190, flown by Oberstleutnant Armin Faber landed there by mistake.

I have BOB II as well but could never get it to run properly. I did have (still do somewhere I suppose) Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3 though. Used to tweak the cfg files to give my Spitfire 88 mm guns. :lol: Hmm. :|

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

bladerunner900 wrote:
Styggron wrote:Very true.

Familiarity with the area does help. Once you settle for some scenery files and fly with them often enough you get to know it. I just kept going further and further out but I do use GPS for a long haul, or if I get lost.

Ha! Speaking of camouflaged airfields, reminds me of what my father told me once, when I asked him as a kid "what did you do in the war dad". He said he painted runways green and grass black. I thought he was kidding then but found out much later that it was true. Before he was called up and became a Royal Marine, he did help camouflage RAF Pembrey including the runway. Now it's just EGFP Pembrey. Strange times. Stranger still was when a Focke-Wulf 190, flown by Oberstleutnant Armin Faber landed there by mistake.

I have BOB II as well but could never get it to run properly. I did have (still do somewhere I suppose) Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3 though. Used to tweak the cfg files to give my Spitfire 88 mm guns. :lol: Hmm. :|
Hello Bladerunner,
Wow, amazing story of what your Dad did, fantastic.
Yes I tried to play BoBII lots of times I just can't get into it. Really disappointing for me. I need some detailed step by step tutorials but no one really plays it on youtube, certainly not whilst explaining things.

I might modify the config file so I can bring up my standard GPS to make things a little easier.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”