Help with fast climb - can't break 15 minutes to 20,000 ft

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: Help with fast climb - can't break 15 minutes to 20,000

Post by Killratio »

The Trolly Acc is for the Spitfire I...to help start. The Spitfire IIa and IIb have a "shotgun starter" Coffman Cartridge, so no need for ground power.

I may be biased but yes, I have always thought that the A2A Spitfire cockpit is the best rendering of ANY FSX aircraft.

Difficult to fly? No. The whole myth of the A2A Spitfire bursting into flames at the slightest excuse came from 3 groups...

1. What I affectionately refer to as the "13 year old Doom player" set. ("I can taxi the default Cessna all over the airport and IT doesn't catch fire, you must be wrong" )

2. Gollums for whom the Spitfire is their "Precious" and couldn't possibly have any faults. ("it won the Battle of Britain and couldn't have done that if it was so hard to keep cool")

3. (Apparently) whole squadrons of (apparently) Greek F16 pilots who (apparently) voted it the worst modelling of any aircraft they had ever seen as (apparently) if they couldn't fly it, nobody could (apparently).

I should probably update "Doom" players to SpaceQuest or Wing Commander or Packman, or something else more modern...I'm showing my age!

Treat the Spitfire like an RAF Pilot, trained to operate a Merlin and you can easily get RAF results...as you have seen on the Scramble challenge.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

Killratio wrote:The Trolly Acc is for the Spitfire I...to help start. The Spitfire IIa and IIb have a "shotgun starter" Coffman Cartridge, so no need for ground power.

I may be biased but yes, I have always thought that the A2A Spitfire cockpit is the best rendering of ANY FSX aircraft.

Difficult to fly? No. The whole myth of the A2A Spitfire bursting into flames at the slightest excuse came from 3 groups...

1. What I affectionately refer to as the "13 year old Doom player" set. ("I can taxi the default Cessna all over the airport and IT doesn't catch fire, you must be wrong" )

2. Gollums for whom the Spitfire is their "Precious" and couldn't possibly have any faults. ("it won the Battle of Britain and couldn't have done that if it was so hard to keep cool")

3. (Apparently) whole squadrons of (apparently) Greek F16 pilots who (apparently) voted it the worst modelling of any aircraft they had ever seen as (apparently) if they couldn't fly it, nobody could (apparently).

I should probably update "Doom" players to SpaceQuest or Wing Commander or Packman, or something else more modern...I'm showing my age!

Treat the Spitfire like an RAF Pilot, trained to operate a Merlin and you can easily get RAF results...as you have seen on the Scramble challenge.
And lets not forget the operating regime in a modern environment is the very opposite of how the aircraft was operated in WWII - they were called AirFIELDS for a reason - they were just fields. Tarmac or concrete runways were not only rare, but dangerous and reserved for heavily loaded bombers!
Fighter aircraft were parked facing into wind if required for a quick sortie, or dispersed in rebutments for safety if not, from where they would be towed and manhandled to a take off position - only rarely would they be required to actually taxi anywhere, except after landing. The pilots job could be as simply as `switches off, vacate aircraft` after landing - the priority being to allow the service crews access to the aircraft as soon as possible - everything came to the aircraft, not the other way round as is more common today.

There were copious ground crew to move aircraft so the pilot didn't have to, and if the Spit was required to taxi then it could always be towed/pushed.

Things were just completely different. It wasn't until much later in the War that the diminishing threat allowed for concrete to be more widely used, and that was long after the MkI/II's had been supplanted by later models which `cooked` a little less through better and more efficient cooling.

Our Spit is designed as a point defence interceptor: "When you hear the bell, Run like hell!" Get in and go as fast as possible meant positioning was someone elses job.

One of the most effective upgrades for the A2A Spitfire would be addition of the more complex towing function from later models. Or better still, ground crew, fussing!
Last edited by mallcott on 29 Nov 2016, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

So true!
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Killratio wrote:The Trolly Acc is for the Spitfire I...to help start. The Spitfire IIa and IIb have a "shotgun starter" Coffman Cartridge, so no need for ground power.

Agreed 100%. This is not only the BEST cockpit render I have EVER seen, but A2A's finest and NO other model on FSX comes close.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

Digging up some old threads.

After long time being absent from the Spit I took the challenge.

MkIa DeH variable airscrew 15°C OAT: from cold start to 20.000ft in 10 min 51 sec:

In the MkII with the Rotol CSU at 15°C: 7 min 38 sec with the warm engine parked near the end of the runway from runup check to 20.000ft.
Radiator peaked at 126°C.

Great thing to do.
Jens
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Currently doing all of these sorts of test climbs again myself Jens (I could tell you why, but then I'd have to kill you :P :P :P )
They are great fun and really freshen up your skills in managing the Merlin!

regards

Darryl

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

Getting the Spitfire ready for P3D I guess... I'm still on FSX:SE and think I will stay there, hope that it'll still be supported for a while.

edit: fixed typo
Last edited by gulredrel on 09 Feb 2018, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

I can't speak for A2A but I would be surprised if any developers abandoned FSX wholesale. (even if I have!!!)

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

gulredrel wrote:Getting the Spitfire ready for P3D I guess... I'm still on FSX:SE and thin will stay there, hope that it'll still be supported for a while.
Same here’s and I hope so too. I just have to much invested to make the switch...
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

They can bury me with FSX. I'm not moving. EVER.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”