kbfi 90deg crosswind 8 gusting 21 t/o and landing

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

kbfi 90deg crosswind 8 gusting 21 t/o and landing

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Just did a quick takeoff/circuit/landing in the mk2a spit , i was expecting the aircraft to be tipped up on t/o as the wind was almost 90deg at 8 gusting 21 , but was pleasantly surprised , when the aircraft performed without a hitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/95327932
regards alan. 8)

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: kbfi 90deg crosswind 8 gusting 21 t/o and landing

Post by Jacques »

I've enjoyed watching these videos, Alan. It doesn't seem to matter how long I've been virtually flying, I always find something that I can do better by watching someone else. It's our virtual, more visual form of "hanger flying"!

Interesting weather we've had in the PNW this last week!

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Glad you liked the vid , i have about 1hrs flying on the clock in this spit , not the best weather to get to learn about the aircraft , but keeps you on your toes , thats for sure.
regards alan. 8)

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Very nice Video....and very well handled in such awful conditions. I suspect the gusts were kind to you but great job!

Re the "watch temps"...a couple of times you say that you had flaps and gear down for the "minimum" amount of time.
Actually, you dropped flaps at 5.13, gear at 5.21 and touched down at 8.21. Over 3 minutes with gear and flaps down before touch down is
much too long. The outside temp and taxi distance at a reasonable speed helped you.

I would never have the gear down on the Spitfire II for anymore than the last 1/4 of a circuit. 90 - 100 seconds at most and flaps only as straightened
out on short final..so less than 30 seconds before touchdown. The Spit I needs a little extra time to pump down the gear...about 10 seconds extra.

People obsess about boiling the Spitfire but it really doesn't do any harm at all unless the temps are left well above the 120C for an extended period.
Steam just means the valve is doing exactly what it is designed to do vis: stop over-pressure in the coolant system. Temps below 130 can be dealt with on a progressive basis.
Temps above 135 need to be stomped on quickly. (remembering that the gauge does LAG actual temperature.)

Looking forward to more videos...

regards

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Darryl.
Yes you are correct gear/flaps where down to long , this was due to the lack of time on this aircraft , i am now leaveing flaps/gear a bit later now , so last flight , the temps where well down , and at no time did i get steam out of the vent , an improvement , this is due to getting used to the time it takes to slow to 160knts for gear / flaps , and also getting more used to the time aircraft needs to lower gear/flaps.
regards alan. 8)

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Yes Alan,

She can be a bit slippery!. A break and run circuit helps a lot with that.

regards

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”