Basic IFR add-on?

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Redglyph
Senior Airman

Basic IFR add-on?

Post by Redglyph »

It's always a pleasure to take the Spit up in the air, but sometimes I wish it had some basic IFR like an ADF/VOR receiver and indicator, does anyone know if such an add-on exists for FSX/P3D? Preferably something that can be added somewhere in the cockpit (not an Android app or something evil like that :wink: ).

I do own the GTN 750 but somehow it would feel out of place, and wouldn't fit - besides, it's funnier to use the beacon technology.
Accu-Sim: B-17G, C172, C182, Cherokee 180, Comanche 250, Civilian P-51, Spitfire MkI/II, T-6, CotS Constellation, CotS B377
System specs: Win10 x64 | CPU: i7-10770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: RTX 3070 | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: Basic IFR add-on?

Post by Killratio »

Redglyph wrote:It's always a pleasure to take the Spit up in the air, but sometimes I wish it had some basic IFR like an ADF/VOR receiver and indicator, does anyone know if such an add-on exists for FSX/P3D? Preferably something that can be added somewhere in the cockpit (not an Android app or something evil like that :wink: ).

I do own the GTN 750 but somehow it would feel out of place, and wouldn't fit - besides, it's funnier to use the beacon technology.

I hardly ever use it but added it to the cockpit, hidden, mostly for flying other aircraft... I got a hardware ADF and appropriate radio and amended the cfg to "1" for ADF. An expensive solution though. Don't know of any software ones.

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

Yeah I saw a few hardware devices but I'm only looking for software at the moment. Not too optimistic though, since almost all aircraft have those receivers in their default configuration. But if anyone knows of such thing, I figured they must be around this place ;)
Accu-Sim: B-17G, C172, C182, Cherokee 180, Comanche 250, Civilian P-51, Spitfire MkI/II, T-6, CotS Constellation, CotS B377
System specs: Win10 x64 | CPU: i7-10770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: RTX 3070 | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Redglyph - if you're just wanted to add a pop-up ADF or VOR gauge (or RMI), it should be possible with a few edits to the aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg file that would allow one of the default FSX/P3D gauges to be used.

If you're using FSX and are prepared to spend a few quid, the RealityXP 'Flightline N' gauges are a nice option. They model phenomenon such as ADF 'dip' and the gauge animation is very smooth. I used them in FS9 but never bothered to get the FSX version as all the add-ons I used tended to have 3-D animated gauges. There's no support from RXP any more however, and I'm not sure if they'd work with FSX-SE.

I don't think you'll be able to integrate any extra gauges (default or RXP) into the VC itself though. At least not without them looking a bit odd.

Nick

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

Nick M wrote:Redglyph - if you're just wanted to add a pop-up ADF or VOR gauge (or RMI), it should be possible with a few edits to the aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg file that would allow one of the default FSX/P3D gauges to be used.

If you're using FSX and are prepared to spend a few quid, the RealityXP 'Flightline N' gauges are a nice option. They model phenomenon such as ADF 'dip' and the gauge animation is very smooth. I used them in FS9 but never bothered to get the FSX version as all the add-ons I used tended to have 3-D animated gauges. There's no support from RXP any more however, and I'm not sure if they'd work with FSX-SE.

I don't think you'll be able to integrate any extra gauges (default or RXP) into the VC itself though. At least not without them looking a bit odd.

Nick
Thanks Nick!

I'll have to experiment a little bit, though I was hoping to get this somehow in the VC, attached somewhere ... yes, I know, it's already a bit cramped :D

FLN's is tempting, but I'm currently using P3D, this seems a long shot. I'll have to grab FSX one day anyway, because it seems the Spit and P3D v3.3 aren't best friends anymore.

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”