My goodness ! It's not that hard to fly at all !

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
Styggron
Master Sergeant

Re: My goodness ! It's not that hard to fly at all !

Post by Styggron »

Jacques wrote:That's fine, it was only an observation. Since I have no non-accusim aircraft from A2A, I don't necessarily recognize their features. Looks like you're having fun and that is really the main point.
Hello Jacques,
Yep that's my point. No one tends to even consider non accu-sim they just buy it. Others want to see more. I'm one of those. Hence I am testing base model only, base model with accu-feel and maybe lastly accu-sim. It is important I so I can determine whether I feel the add on is worth it for future planes that can still be bought separately. :)

The Spitfire is a JOY to fly. I just love looking at the cockpit.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Spitfire was...mmm...I want to say the second to last I purchased. Following the 377 COTS, B-17 and Cessna 172. P-51 was last, but has more hours than the Spitfire, which I'm trying to rectify. I don't fault you for being cautious because I was, as well. Can't imagine flying something that isn't full on (or nearly so) Accu-Sim! So, I guess that makes me a bit spoiled. Give a shout next time you stream!

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Ok,

i have been Twitching for the last couple of hours. Not sure whether it is because I found the right page or because I haven't had a drink since 0200 :) :)

Nice work. Your landing technique is interesting. It certainly avoids running into those nasty "slow speed/add too much power" problems. I must confess, as Crew Chief, I had chewed most of the way through my cheek by about the third one I watched! ;) But at least you are providing plenty of career oportunities for groung crew :) :) :)

(Note, there is absolutely no way I am going to try some landings like that, just for fun, no chance. Almost no chance at all, definitely only thinking about trying it, not decided yet, by hades they ARE fun aren't they??)

Alright, serious advice now. As I am sure Dudley has stressed and will stress to anyone, over and over again, the single most important thing in flying a high performance aircraft and particularly complex fighters, is "flow". You need to follow a flow of processes. Each time you enter a different phase of flight...engine start, warm up, takeoff, climb, cruise, descent, landing or whatever, there is a checklist of tasks that must be followed. You can vary the Official order where it doesn't really matter BUT you have to know where that is AND develop a flow that YOU can follow. Best, initially, to follow the checklists in the manual..either Wartime ( probably for you) or Battle of Britain Memorial Flight checklists (if flying as a modern restoration).

That will eliminate a lot of the "now, what have I forgotten this time" moments (and thank you again for giving me the chance to relive my childhood... It was like being at a Panto... "Now where IS that canopy latch to close??" And my wife chuckling at me yelling at the screen "it's behind you, it's behind you." :)

Have a look here for what happens when even an unidentified high Spitfire time (sim wise) pilot forgets to follow the process properly.
https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 77&t=25806

Great stuff mate, keep it up!

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Jacques wrote:Spitfire was...mmm...I want to say the second to last I purchased. Following the 377 COTS, B-17 and Cessna 172. P-51 was last, but has more hours than the Spitfire, which I'm trying to rectify. I don't fault you for being cautious because I was, as well. Can't imagine flying something that isn't full on (or nearly so) Accu-Sim! So, I guess that makes me a bit spoiled. Give a shout next time you stream!
Hello Jacques, stream times are on the twitch page. I posted the latest ones a few minutes ago. At present I try to do 2 streams a week. It depends on your time zone as to whether it is on the same day or the next.

I don't think I'll be flying the Spitfire next stream though. Was thinking of flying the A2A Piper Cub as I love Sea Planes. This is the reason I got it. Whilst I would also probably be happy with it being base model only there are 2 things I wanted to experience.

1. How a Sea Plane on Acc-sim behaves vs a Sea Plane on Accu-feel
2. Heidi as a passenger

I'm still rather skeptical on Heidi because I've watched several youtube videos that had Heidi and on one all she says is "plane 9 o'clock" so......ummmm.....yes anyway, she has different settings so we will check them in depth eventually..........moving on........

a) I'll test without accu-sim and use only accu-feel (I know how sea planes are like without accu-feel :shock: )
b) I'll test with accu-sim and see. This accu-sim pack though is cheaper though at $19.99 if purchased afterwards. Still almost the cost of the base plane which is the main drawback in my view. I suspect that base plane with accu-feel will be more than enough, it really depends on how good Heidi is and also how much "better" it behaves with accu-sim and if that "better" is worth the price in my view and my view alone.

Hence it is likely I shall be on the non accu-sim Piper Cub as a Sea Plane on next stream. :)
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Killratio wrote:Ok,

i have been Twitching for the last couple of hours. Not sure whether it is because I found the right page or because I haven't had a drink since 0200 :) :)

Nice work. Your landing technique is interesting. It certainly avoids running into those nasty "slow speed/add too much power" problems. I must confess, as Crew Chief, I had chewed most of the way through my cheek by about the third one I watched! ;) But at least you are providing plenty of career oportunities for groung crew :) :) :)

(Note, there is absolutely no way I am going to try some landings like that, just for fun, no chance. Almost no chance at all, definitely only thinking about trying it, not decided yet, by hades they ARE fun aren't they??)

Alright, serious advice now. As I am sure Dudley has stressed and will stress to anyone, over and over again, the single most important thing in flying a high performance aircraft and particularly complex fighters, is "flow". You need to follow a flow of processes. Each time you enter a different phase of flight...engine start, warm up, takeoff, climb, cruise, descent, landing or whatever, there is a checklist of tasks that must be followed. You can vary the Official order where it doesn't really matter BUT you have to know where that is AND develop a flow that YOU can follow. Best, initially, to follow the checklists in the manual..either Wartime ( probably for you) or Battle of Britain Memorial Flight checklists (if flying as a modern restoration).

That will eliminate a lot of the "now, what have I forgotten this time" moments (and thank you again for giving me the chance to relive my childhood... It was like being at a Panto... "Now where IS that canopy latch to close??" And my wife chuckling at me yelling at the screen "it's behind you, it's behind you." :)

Have a look here for what happens when even an unidentified high Spitfire time (sim wise) pilot forgets to follow the process properly.
https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 77&t=25806

Great stuff mate, keep it up!

Darryl
Thank you Killratio.
Glad you enjoyed it. Yes my whole life is like panto with constant "oh dear, did I just leave the canopy open?" moments. :o I really need to do the checklists but it might lessen my incompetence and hence against the channel's ethos :shock: Actually, even with checklists I fear I am still likely to be incompetent. :D If you want to see more incompetence have a look at I think episode 2 I think it might be or maybe 3 where I didn't realise the engine had stopped on the deHavilland Sea Plane and I can't figure out why raising the throttle is not moving me. I had the sound down so engine sounds were not apparent. I only realised when I saw the propellar was not moving ! :shock: I wrote it in the video description so which ever ep has it will be described. Older episodes are archived in the "highlights" section.

Back to the Spitfire. Yes I am bound to get a rollicking (series of strongly worded adjectives) after one of my landings from the Crew Chief. :D One thing I am KEEN to know is will the spit feel differently flying WITH cockpit open vs Cockpit closed ?. Without accu-sim I could not tell the difference. Please excuse the inconvenience but may I ask if you could please check that for me ? I suspect it would be different but you never know. It might not be modelled I don't know.

Both episode 6 landings are highlighted so they can be watched "on their own" per se, hence audience can rate my incompetence. Both of those landings really needed a fly around and do the approach again. I guess I could say "I was simulating emergency conditions". Although, if I am the pilot in command, it is always an emergency condition.

Those landings are great fun indeed. I don't know why. For some reason I would not fathom trying such a landing on the C172 or other plane.

Thank for you that thread, interesting read. Lots of pics missing though :( Would be great if that thread could keep going again.
Do you know where I can get some more Skins for the Spitfire ? The links here don't show any pictures so I have no idea what the skins look like. I fly the IIb a lot but don't like the Pluto pic on there. I guess I could copy the skin and remove Pluto. Never tried changing these things before. I'd just like to be able to chose different British war time skins so when we load up FSX the Spitfires have lots of different skins. That would be nice.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

G'day again Mate,

Yes, with Accusim the cockpit open causes more air resistence and slows your speed per unit of power.

I think it's about 5 - 10 mph IAS depending on speed, altitude etc. Even having the VENT open affects speed! As doe radiator shutter setting, gear position and, naturally, flaps, which on the Spitfire are actually more akin to airbrake than flap.

I'll install the base model on my test system and do a few tests. It is almost 6 years since development and some of the finer, less obvious details are a bit grey!

Yep, I had a big problem with my photobucket account and a lot of my pics went west. I am slowly putting them back on most fora but it is a massive job. There are over 900 posts on the WW2Aircraft forum thread alone. Unfortunately the tag that photobucket gives a picture is different each upload, so it is not a simple case of reloading the photos, I then have to change EACH photo tag in EVERY post.

The missing photos here just show the gear slightly down and my view of the wheels up landing...very similar externals to Ron's.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Killratio wrote:G'day again Mate,

Yes, with Accusim the cockpit open causes more air resistence and slows your speed per unit of power.

I think it's about 5 - 10 mph IAS depending on speed, altitude etc. Even having the VENT open affects speed! As doe radiator shutter setting, gear position and, naturally, flaps, which on the Spitfire are actually more akin to airbrake than flap.

I'll install the base model on my test system and do a few tests. It is almost 6 years since development and some of the finer, less obvious details are a bit grey!

Yep, I had a big problem with my photobucket account and a lot of my pics went west. I am slowly putting them back on most fora but it is a massive job. There are over 900 posts on the WW2Aircraft forum thread alone. Unfortunately the tag that photobucket gives a picture is different each upload, so it is not a simple case of reloading the photos, I then have to change EACH photo tag in EVERY post.

The missing photos here just show the gear slightly down and my view of the wheels up landing...very similar externals to Ron's.
Hello again Killratio,
Yes I thought Accu-sim would have something to say about me having my cockpit open and that whilst on the base model / accu-feel I hadis open no idea, I'm sure I could tell with Accu-sim, will it also be different in sound because the cockpit is open ?

Yes those things you wrote above scare me, I'm getting used to a non genuine behaving Spitfire LOL. It will be a tough call really. As least I can remove it if I don't like Accu-sim Spitfire. From what you said on the thread I should be able to just ininstall accu-sim for the Spitfire. I hope it will not affect my other planes. If that fails, I'll remove the Spit and just reinstall without Accu-sim. It will depend on how much I see and feel "extra".

My flying is just so poor isn't it ? I am glad it gave you a laugh though. It is all about the fun. I must say though, I really look forward to jumping into the Spitfire. I can go without flying the B377 for 1-2 weeks and the C172 for months, but for some reason the Spitfire, I have to load it every few days else I get withdrawals. It is my iconic aircraft I guess. When I first installed it I just sat in the cockpit and looked at everything for ages. :)

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

G'day again,

The sound of the cockpit being open is vastly different, yes. And for one who has flown in an "open cockpit" for real, it is very convincing.

No, Accusim on the Spitfire is FOR the Spitfire only and whether it is installed or uninstalled will not affect any other Accusim aircraft.

I have all of the A2A and AF aircraft, along with several other complex aircraft from other manufacturers BUT I only ever seem to fly the Spitfire or Beta Test these days.
I kid myself it is because the Mixture/Throttle physical linkage from half throttle down makes it hard to fly anything that starts in ICO. But in fact, I just only want to fly the Spitfire.

It goes as slow as I like, as fast as I like, as low or high as I like. It carries EXACTLY the number of passengers I wish to deal with these days AND I can't remember the last time I had
a flight where I didn't have to concentrate on something to be "solved". I fly a lot in PNG and the Spitfire goes fast enough to let you get yourself into trouble in that rapidly changing mountain weather. (Another story if you feel inclined : https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 23&t=53124 demonstrating the wider field of things that can occur with Accusim.. and a third which would be exactly the same Accussim or with only Accufeel : https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 77&t=54027 . )

The mechanical side adds a new dimension above sounds and sights and is he main reason * I * prefer Accusim to Accufeel for the aircraft that have it. Your results may vary, customers should assess their own needs blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... :) :) ;)

regards

Darryl

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Thank you for those I LOVED reading them. The only bad part was when I got to the end of the post and I wanted to read more. It's like getting into a fantastic novel.

Fantastic !!!! How often do you fly the Spitfire in a week ?
Also you mentioned you have all A2A aircraft and you even have all AF ones.... how does the Heinkel He fly ? I've been looking at that for a while. Also there is a AF Mustang but a different model to the other ones they have that are accu-sim compatible

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

I've never flown the Uhu or the P51H but everyone loves the Uhu that I have talked to. I SHOULD fly some of these others but don't, as I've said, the Spit is my first love.

The Spitfire I would fly for about 1-2 hours in a bad week and 10 in a good one. At the moment the re-re-re-conversion of Moody Blue to PR IA or PR IB standard is taking all my time away from the office. The Hand U/C pump alone has chewed up just over 120hrs of machine, tool and painting time. As a wise friend of mine has said (he sports a full sized, full function B737 cockpit) The hobby with sims is building ...the flying is just a bonus!!

More hours, more money and less wife...that's what I need... (er, that should read less LIFE, not wife..THAT would be insensitive)

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Killratio wrote:I've never flown the Uhu or the P51H but everyone loves the Uhu that I have talked to. I SHOULD fly some of these others but don't, as I've said, the Spit is my first love.

The Spitfire I would fly for about 1-2 hours in a bad week and 10 in a good one. At the moment the re-re-re-conversion of Moody Blue to PR IA or PR IB standard is taking all my time away from the office. The Hand U/C pump alone has chewed up just over 120hrs of machine, tool and painting time. As a wise friend of mine has said (he sports a full sized, full function B737 cockpit) The hobby with sims is building ...the flying is just a bonus!!

More hours, more money and less wife...that's what I need... (er, that should read less LIFE, not wife..THAT would be insensitive)
So you have A2A and AF planes you have never flown ?
So the spitfire 1-2 hours a week on a bad week and 10 in a good one. Excellent.

Love the "wife" line. Less "life" doesn't make sense....... ;)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Worth remembering KillRatio has a spitfire cockpit at his house which explains the Spitfire mostly for the flying 8) :mrgreen:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Worth remembering KillRatio has a spitfire cockpit at his house which explains the Spitfire mostly for the flying 8) :mrgreen:
I do indeed, it is absolutely amazing. :)

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Hi Killratio,

I'm going to attempt another Scramble challenge. I have not practiced, I'll be streaming it live. Last time I tried this was recorded on my live stream. See how I go.

Perhaps we might need a new thread for that perhaps ?

My previous record of 12 minutes 32 seconds. (As per my vid) is invalid as I was already at the runway and engine was running.

As you said, the timer should start when you turn the engine on. Ooops. I always started the timer when the engine was on and I was on the active runway so bye bye all previous times.

What I will do I will position the Spitfire close to the runway ready for a short taxi and save that position so when I do a Spitfire Challenge, it will always be consistent.

Ok so now I have my first time. This includes starting the engine and taxiing up.
15m 37s

I saved the starting position so I will be able to start at that exact location each time to do the times. :) This flight and the disasterous landing (although I did not crash) is up on episode 8 on my stream on twitch.

Oh one more thing, as you know I have not installed accu-sim for the Spitfire yet. I have a quick question. Does changing to a 3 blade prop make much of a difference with the Spitfire ?

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Styggron wrote:Hi Killratio,

Oh one more thing, as you know I have not installed accu-sim for the Spitfire yet. I have a quick question. Does changing to a 3 blade prop make much of a difference with the Spitfire ?
On the Spitfire I, the DH PCP airscrew will shorten your takeoff distance but INCREASE the time to height. This is due to the greater weight and being used in the tests as a variable..ie fine for takeoff, coarse once in the air. . You can improve the times by turning yourself into the constant speed govenor but it IS a skill.

The Two pitch gave a higher top speed and better consistency of speed and acceleration at different heights, hence the drop of in climb was worth it.

On the Spitfire II the 3 blade is a Rotol CS unit and will give all around better performance than the two blade, with better climb, speed, temperature management and acceleration.

D

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”