Cockpit shake. Am I doing something wrong?

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
deimos256
Airman

Cockpit shake. Am I doing something wrong?

Post by deimos256 »

Sadly I don't give this beauty the same amount of attention as some other aircraft so I'm not sure if the amount of shaking I get in the cockpit is normal. Once I throttle up for takeoff I get lots of shaking and fluctuating of the needles. I assume this is due to the engine running rough but even after some time when you'd expect plug fouling to clear, the needles and cockpit are still shaking, so is this just the way she is? Thanks.
Last edited by deimos256 on 25 Aug 2016, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Re: Cockpit shake. Am I doing so,etching wrong?

Post by Paul K »

I'm baffled as to what etching, which is a printmaking technique that uses chemical action to produce incised lines in a metal printing plate, has to do with the Spitfire's engine running roughly. :?

deimos256
Airman

Re: Cockpit shake. Am I doing something wrong?

Post by deimos256 »

Good catch. I'm typing on an iPad which can produce some weird typos. Basically this bird is rattling more than videos that I've watched so I'm assuming something is broken. Did I throttle up too early before everything warmed up? Did I give it throttle too quickly? Next time I load it up I need to check the hangar.

bmbrzmn101
Staff Sergeant

Post by bmbrzmn101 »

Did you ever reduce MAP(boost) and RPM to climb and cruise settings after takeoff? If you continued to run full throttle you will get a lot of shake. Bring the power and RPM's down after takeoff to the needed amount and it will go away and smooth out.

Chris
The voices in your head will quieten down when you begin listening to them!

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

The Spitfire shakes and rattles quite a lot. This has been enhanced in one of the more recent updates I believe. The videos you're watching are probably a bit older and thus the shaking is less. If the maintenance hangar isn't reporting any issues I wouldn't worry about the shaking to much.

Which Mk with which propeller are you flying btw.?
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

deimos256
Airman

Post by deimos256 »

I am in fact reducing rpm and boost to cruise settings but the thing still rattles quite a bit. What concerns me are the gauges fluctuating. The boost gauge needle fluctuates a good half psi in either direction. I've seen that the update make the bird more shaky which I do have installed. Just making sure the engine isn't about to blow.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I just took my MkII for a spin and they do rattle and shake quite a bit even under cruise power settings. I wouldn't worry to much unless other parameters show something like oil temps or pressure. And don't forget you can always ask your mechanic to check her out :wink:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”