Good grief, she's pretty...

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Good grief, she's pretty...

Post by DHenriques_ »

speedy70 wrote:A beautiful aircraft that saved this nation from tyranny and was described by the young pilots that flew her as they "felt part of her"

You cannot speak more highly of her and her ignored hero the hurricane.

Well I will stop waxing sentimental but both aircraft were saviours of this country when all the others had been conquered.

Cheers Chris
Love the Spit but lest we never forget that it was actually the far less beautiful Hurricane that bore the brunt of the Battle of Britain.
The poor old Hurri always seems to play second fiddle to it's more handsome younger sibling :-))
Dudley Henriques

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Dudley,

I think the lack of recognition for the Hurricane is largely due to it being old tech, at its heart.
A Hawker Fury with the top wing removed and a large donk added on the front. The Fury is an attractive fighter, sleek like a shark and businesslike.

The Hurri is not unattractive but it IS workmanlike. The less attractive friend that you have to get through to get to the pretty one ;)

The Hurricane shot down twice as many aircraft, there were twice as many of them (roughly, on both counts) and roundly deserves credit.

But as has been pointed out, Britain could have won the Battle with all Spitfires, it could very likely not have won with all Hurricanes.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Moggster
Senior Airman

Post by Moggster »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
speedy70 wrote:A beautiful aircraft that saved this nation from tyranny and was described by the young pilots that flew her as they "felt part of her"

You cannot speak more highly of her and her ignored hero the hurricane.

Well I will stop waxing sentimental but both aircraft were saviours of this country when all the others had been conquered.

Cheers Chris
Love the Spit but lest we never forget that it was actually the far less beautiful Hurricane that bore the brunt of the Battle of Britain.
The poor old Hurri always seems to play second fiddle to it's more handsome younger sibling :-))
Dudley Henriques
Thank you Dudley! Here's a couple of quotes about the Hurri you might enjoy.

'The Spitfire was a beautiful aircraft, no doubt about it. But it was a Rolls-Royce. The Hurricane was a tank. Which would you rather go to war in? The gun platform was much better on the Hurricane because the guns on the Spitfire used to wobble about and scatter the bullets.'
Roger Wilkinson 3 squadron.

'we were at one with ourselves and our machines. It was the Hurricane, really, which gave us our immense confidence, with its mighty engine, its powerful battery of eight guns and its feel of swift, robust strength and the ability to outdo our enemies. Months would go by before the real test of combat but we believed in the Hurricane. Performance figures - those of the Me 109 and the Spitfire were in many respects superior - did not in the least dismay us. The Hurricane was our faithful charger and we felt supremely sure of it and ourselves.'
Pete Townsend 43 squadron.

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”