Any possible plans for other Spitfile models such as the XVI

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Styggron
Master Sergeant

Any possible plans for other Spitfile models such as the XVI

Post by Styggron »

Just wondering if there are any possible plans for more advanced model Spitfire such as the

VIII
or the fantastic XVI
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Any possible plans for other Spitfile models such as the

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

Not at present for public release. We have MkV in semi built status but nothing set in stone for any public releases at present.

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

cbramkamp
Senior Airman

Post by cbramkamp »

A later model would be great and for sure a purchase :)

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

It's time the 'baby Spitfire' grew up. We need a Mk IX at least, but I'd settle for the Mk V. "RELEASE THE KRAKEN". :mrgreen:

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Ditto.

Seems a waste to gave something that is partly developed and not released. I'd buy a Mk V anyday, but a Griffon powered Spitfire Mk XIV (14) would be a beast.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

bladerunner900 wrote:It's time the 'baby Spitfire' grew up. We need a Mk IX at least, but I'd settle for the Mk V. "RELEASE THE KRAKEN". :mrgreen:
Agreed. :) Well, at least we know there is one on the drawing board, lets hope it will get completed and released.

Thank you Lewis.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

Bradburger
Senior Airman

Post by Bradburger »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Hello,

Not at present for public release. We have MkV in semi built status but nothing set in stone for any public releases at present.

Thanks,
Lewis
I second, third, or even fourth the release of your Spitfire V!

Would be a nice complement to your MK I & II. :)

Cheers

Paul

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Well I know at least one person is ready and willing to do further research ;)
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

I believe the MkXVI is powered by a Packard 1650?
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Thomas

I think from memory an early version was used on the Lancaster (Merlin 28) and on Canadian built Hurricanes. Some Mossies may have had it too.

But the 1650-3 was used on the Spitfire IX as the Merlin 61. Most of the 1650-3 's of course went on Mustangs.

The Spitfire XVI had the Packard built 266 which is the same engine as the Merlin 66, which (British built) was used on the Low Flying Mk VIII's.

Unfortunately, with Accusim it is not all as simple as just bolting the Mustang engine onto a Spitfire V and making it a Mk IX.
The very early Mk IX's were pretty much that and had some definite problems (control authority etc). In addition the dual radiator system would need to be modelled and all that after actually making the Mk V which is but isn't a I or II with a Merlin 45 bolted to it.

cheers

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Bradburger
Senior Airman

Post by Bradburger »

Killratio wrote:Thomas

I think from memory an early version was used on the Lancaster (Merlin 28) and on Canadian built Hurricanes. Some Mossies may have had it too.

But the 1650-3 was used on the Spitfire IX as the Merlin 61. Most of the 1650-3 's of course went on Mustangs.

The Spitfire XVI had the Packard built 266 which is the same engine as the Merlin 66, which (British built) was used on the Low Flying Mk VIII's.

Unfortunately, with Accusim it is not all as simple as just bolting the Mustang engine onto a Spitfire V and making it a Mk IX.
The very early Mk IX's were pretty much that and had some definite problems (control authority etc). In addition the dual radiator system would need to be modelled and all that after actually making the Mk V which is but isn't a I or II with a Merlin 45 bolted to it.

cheers

Darryl
My understanding was that the Packard built V-1650-3 and 7 were based on the Rolls Royce developed 60s series (two speed/two stage supercharger), i.e. the 61/63/66 which, along with the high altitude optimized Merlin 70, were all fitted to Spitfire IXs and MK.VIIIs.

The earliest MK.IXs, which included some converted MK.V airframes, were powered by the Merlin 61, and the later ones (such as Johnnie Johnson's EN398) were powered by the Merlin 63, and designated the F.IX.

Then along the way, they found that the performance and climb rate of the F.IX did not match that of the Fw 190 in the 15,000 to 20,000 ft height band, so altered the supercharger gear and the propeller reduction gear ratios, and so performance in that height band was increased, and the superior performance of the Fw 190 matched, and hence the introduction of the Merlin 66 and the LF.IX, the most numerous of the MK.IX family.

For high altitude performance, the Merlin 70 was used, and the designation HF.IX was used.

(The MKVIII also had the same engine versions and therefore, sub variants, i.e. F.VIII, LF.VIII, and HF.VIII).

I must say, I don't recall any control authority issues with the early MK.IXs, although they of course still had the early style elevator horn balance (as fitted to the MKs I, II, V, VI, & XII), but the later extended horn balance type (used to gain some extra longitudinal stability) was officially introduced as Modification 789 around October 1943 IIRC.

Cheers

Paul

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Paul,

Correct, not "control authority" but stability. The fin was enlarged after some stability problems when the more powerful engine was fitted and, as you've said, the elevator horn balance was changed. Shouldn't write from my aging memory!!

My understanding is that yes, all of the Packards were the same as their equivalent Merlin numbers. They were straight "licence" builds.

regards

Darryl

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”