Paint Request Spitfire EP122

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Paint Request Spitfire EP122

Post by bladerunner900 »

Thanks for your kind words everyone. :)

It always strikes me, how grown up and mannerly this forum is, even when opinions differ. In total contrast to some of the sites I visit.

Cheers guys and, keep up the constructive criticism.
Steve

Eagle Spirit
Airman

Post by Eagle Spirit »

My apologies, but where is the download link? :oops: I have Winzip7, so good to go :D .

Thanks, Eagle
i7-4770K Quad-core 3.5-3.9GHz TB, HD Graphics 4600, Corsair Vengeance Military Green Case. Corsair 860W. Dynatron Cooling. GForce GTX780Ti. SuperClocked Samsung SSDx2/120 & 540. Western Dig 1TB VelociRaptor Sata 6GB. Hard Drive. Warthog Hotas.

Eagle Spirit
Airman

Post by Eagle Spirit »

My apologies, but where can I find the download link? Beautiful job!

Eagle
i7-4770K Quad-core 3.5-3.9GHz TB, HD Graphics 4600, Corsair Vengeance Military Green Case. Corsair 860W. Dynatron Cooling. GForce GTX780Ti. SuperClocked Samsung SSDx2/120 & 540. Western Dig 1TB VelociRaptor Sata 6GB. Hard Drive. Warthog Hotas.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Eagle Spirit wrote:My apologies, but where can I find the download link? Beautiful job!

Eagle
It's in the second post, my first one, underneath the two pictures.

Eagle Spirit
Airman

Post by Eagle Spirit »

:D TYVM "Bud",

I saw it after my post :oops: . What a beautiful paint! :D Your kindness in providing us with your paint is greatly appreciated.

Eagle

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

For EP122, the paint scheme follows the guidelines for the "Temperate Sea Scheme", comprising of Dark Slate Grey (greenish color) and Extra Dark Sea Grey (dark bluish-grey color) for the upper surfaces, over standard Sky for the lower surfaces. The spinner is painted Extra Dark Sea Grey, matching the rest of the upper surface camo. This particular Spitfire originally served in Malta, with its original markings reproduced, hence the distinct paint scheme. It's an early Mk.V, restored in exacting detail to the early Mk.V configuration/hardware (if I accurately recall hearing or reading at some point, there were something like over 700 design changes from the earliest Mk.I through Mk.V).

Some photos during its restoration (as seen on the right of these older, first couple shots, the Mk.V EE602 was already completed/flown as of last May, and the Mk.V EP122 has been the latest completed/flying - the next to be completed will very likely be the North African desert-marked Mk.IX LZ842, followed by the Mk.IX BR601 as seen in the fourth image (which, although under restoration in the UK, I believe is destined for the Collings Foundation in the US, once completed/flying - under rebuild to original full/true early Mk.IX configuration)):

John Terrell

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Hi John. I re-coloured EP122 using the colour swatches you mentioned in your post. I placed her in roughly the same area and tried to get similar lighting conditions. This is the result. She looks a lot lighter now. What do you think?

Pending reactions to this I'll update the download later. It's 03:10 here and I got to get some sleep. :wink:

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I have to say that I like the original version with the darker colors better even if it's further from the real aircraft. The Spit looks nice with those more intense colors.

Just my two cents
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

I admit, I also prefer the darker one.... but it takes all kinds :)

One small point, the spinner now looks green to me? I think it should be grey?

But beautiful work nonetheless!

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Killratio wrote:I admit, I also prefer the darker one.... but it takes all kinds :)

One small point, the spinner now looks green to me? I think it should be grey?

But beautiful work nonetheless!

Darryl
What I'll do I think, is to include both versions. I must admit to liking the darker one myself. As to the spinner, I will fix that later today. I was tired last night (early morning) and must have swapped the colours.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Here's what I got now.

This one is using swatches for Dark Slate Grey, Extra Dark Sea Grey with a normal Sky underside.

This one is the first attempt and has a normal Blue Gray swatch, with a modified Dark Green (it looked brown in Sim) and a modified Sky underside.

It's always difficult judging colours from photographs. You never know how much processing they have had done to them before publishing, I've done it myself.
Anyway, I can easily include both and would welcome any comments.

Edit: Download in my first post updated with both versions.
Last edited by bladerunner900 on 26 May 2016, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Awesome if you include both version because then everyone can chose. I'll go for the darker one as stated above. I like the colored spinner.

Thanks for sharing
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Well I will also fly the darker but I think the lighter looks nicer. On balance, from photos, I think the dark is more correct. Given the amount of time operating over water at Malta...it also seems more logical.

But an exceptional repaint all around. Magic stuff!!

I'd really love to see one with the light grey and the dark green..not accurate but I think it would look great...but I'm just being greedy :) :) :)
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Coincidentally, I recently re-coloured my City of Winnipeg skin light grey and dark green. Okay, it looks green-brown but it's supposed to be green.

Dropbox Download

By the way, does anyone know how to use spoiler tags on this site. It would be much more appropriate to put that picture in them.

Cheers
Steve.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Definite thumbs up!!

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”