Spitfire Mk 2 simulations

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
flash2
Senior Airman

Spitfire Mk 2 simulations

Post by flash2 »

I have recently flown in and briefly taken the controls of a Tr6 spitfire at Boultbee Aviation academy in England am interested in purchasing the A2A most advanced Spitfire simulator software.

Where can I purchase this software?
Can anyone tell me what the best software host to use with the A2A simulator and where to purchase it?
What are the computer performance specifications to adequately handle host and simulator program properties?
What are compatible display specifications?
Is a HD display desired?
Does software operate on Windows 7?
What company can I contact to get more details?
Can simulator readily integrate with joy stick and rudder controls?

Thank you
John

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Spitfire Mk 2 simulations

Post by Oracle427 »

You are already visiting the website of the software developer.

You will need to own a copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator X as the A2A Spitfire simulator is an add-on aircraft for MS FSX.

What are the computer performance specifications to adequately handle host and simulator program properties?
This is not the most simple question to answer, but generally you want the fastest machine that you are willing to spend on. A fast Intel CPU and NVidia GPU is desired.

What are compatible display specifications?
Anything that your machine can handle

Is a HD display desired?
Performance will degrade as resolution is increased. Some have reported good performance with high end machines

Does software operate on Windows 7?
Yes

What company can I contact to get more details?
Here on this website. The store is accesible at a2asimulations.com

Can simulator readily integrate with joy stick and rudder controls?
Absolutely. Custom cockpit build projects are possible with MS FSX for those inclined to take on such a project.

How was the Tr6 handling? What other aircraft have you flown? I assume you flew their Tiger Moth. I have time in a J-3, PA-18 and B75N1 and I would love to log some time in the Tr6 someday.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello John,

welcome to the forums, hope you had fun at Boultbee with the Spit, myself and Scott where there late last year visting on business.

Righty O, the Spitfire simulator runs on the Microsoft Flight Simulator X platform so before doing anything you will want to get yourself setup with that. And before that to better help you if you can let us know what your working with or if you intend to buy a new pc or what we can better advise.

I would strongly recommend getting the basics sorted before purchasing and trying to run the Spitfire, otherwise its just going to be frustration with a running before learning how to walk sort of sentiment.

So what do you have to work with, whats the beginning, is a a start from scratch buy all new and if so what budget?, is it a use some bits you already have in which case what do you already have etc?

Flight sim world is pretty big so theirs lots going on and its a total sandbox, kinda start as small as you want or as big as you want with full sim cockpits as Oracle mentions. The forums here are a good place to get a bunch of info from veteran simmers of all types from the cockpit builders all the way to to normal everyday home desktop simmer.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

flash2
Senior Airman

Post by flash2 »

In response to Lewis A2A - Re Boultbee, I failed to mention the straight cw and ccw rolls and victory roll that the pilot did for me and would have done a loop but I declined due to the previous night dinner which was not agreeing with me.

I am looking to set up a separate simulator station of moderate expense and presently more interested in cockpit visualization and operation procedure and flight simulation including takeoff and landing in a regional area such as southern England on a reasonable clear day. I am a retired electrical engineer/ electro optical systems manager and not interested in becoming a pilot at this late stage in life. I have looked at X-Plane 10 and spoken to them and know that my present hardware which is 5 years old is not sufficiently powerful for that. Thus my questions re requirements for MS FSX operating with the Spitfire A2A Mk 2 or more advanced versions. I am not as interested in the navigational aspects of the simulators at this time but accept that if part of the MS FSX package. I have looked at most if not all the Spitfire simulated videos on the internet and am satisfied with what I see assuming that the simulations will have actual simulated consequences if I initially make mistakes in settings , readings or maneuvers a s long as I am not held responsible for crashing into someone's home as Jeffrey Quill Did. I hope that this summarizes my objectives.

I have looked at the CH products flight stick Pro with 4 buttons and their pro pedal control although I would intend to use or look for a less expensive pedal unit that only slides to simulate rudder action only.

My present computer is a Dell with 8.0 GB memory , Processor is 2.7 Ghz, and Operating system is 64 bits, and it is in constant use for other stuff like this. Thus a dedicated system.

My budget is as minimal to achieve my objectives above or I would be changing stuff out at additional expense.

Thanks you,
John

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

John: A2A aircraft are where it's at! I started with the J-3, then the P-40, and recently, the Piper Comanche. Check out YouTube if you want to get an idea of how the A2A Spifire works. I just went to YouTube and did a search for "A2A Spitfire" and found a plethora of videos. Make sure you get the Accu-Sim package with the Spitfire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsgEiJoBxX0

Seeya
ATB

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Okie dokie,

Well you will be glad to hear that you can get a damn fine Goodwood from the FTX developers if you want to base your flying from there. For example;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdG1cbnDYKA[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdG1cbnDYKA

As for the computer aspect it might be best to get FSX the latest and most readily available version being the steam edition. Not sure if you are a steam user but its free to create an account download the steam client and then purchase games/sims as needed.

FSX Steam edition webpage though once you get the steam client you can search for fsx in there;
http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/

Once you get FSX up and running you will be able to think of if it runs ok for you or if you want to upgrade your PC or go for a whole new PC, bit best to cross that bridge when you come to it. again happy to help advise on this stuff too.

Controller wise, again best to start slow and build up, if your happy to use mouse and keyboard that will cover a big chunk of stuff, being able to click stuff in the cockpit. A few store links where kit can be purchased, be it sticks, throttle quads, pedals etc;
http://www.flightstore.co.uk/dvds-sims- ... trols-c800
http://rcsimulations.co.uk/

These and a couple other UK based stores are great and con be contacted via phone if wanted to help tailor your joystick needs, obviously ideally rudder pedals would also be needed.

Our A2A store is here for the Spitfire, for the most realism you will also want the Accu-sim package;
https://a2asimulations.com/store/index. ... ucts_id=41

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P-7e3RN5_Q[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P-7e3RN5_Q

And just so its not just me chiming in here, I'm going to move this post to the main pilots lounge where the wider community can see and chip in with there thoughts and advice on what sticks and scenery etc they like.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A

flash2
Senior Airman

Post by flash2 »

Thank you to all for the input which is very helpful.

Goodwood simulation is cool. I was there mid June just before they had the international race car event and saw most of the cars in their respective stalls.

I need to digest what has been sent and will be discussing hardware with my Son who is computer savvy.
Still a bit confused re Wings of power 3 which I think is the latest or most powerful simulation package except for add on packages or a bundle which saves $5. I can't say for certain what is in the bundle but assume it is the manual, engine and hanger systems and not sure where site selection is. Will try to talk to A2A. Also confusing statement under Spitfire Wings of Power 3 picture re All models include A2A specialized materials with authentic metal.
Does this imply authentic weight distribution of the plane in the simulation for flight characteristics?

I need to chill out a bit and re read and pursue some things listed like a steam engine to understand better. I am hoping to get into this at the Max simulation mode for Flying the Spitfire without the need for extensive navigational software to travel the world as I have seen on some sites.

Thanks again and keep the good stuff coming.
John

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey John,

that's a good idea, take it a step at the time, ideally getting FSX purchased and installed is the first step.

For now ignore our Spitfire simulation and just aim to get the barebones setup. Regarding your son's knowledge be careful here as Flight simming requirements as with any software will not fall under atypical PC knowledge. Any questions on what sort of system specs would make a great simming machine let us know, but heres a few tips;

-FSX is CPU dependant more than GPU
-It loves Intel CPU's i5-7 ideally
-Nvidia GPU's work best with FSX for ease of use, setup and results

Btw you are already talking to A2A right here.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant
Location: EX- Christchurch now called "Wobblyville" New Zealand

Post by Ian Warren »

Re-watching this Video, PENNY DROPPED ... people asking about the next A2A aircraft on another thread on what is or least down maybe coming down the line, the Bf-109E would make for one HELL OFF a stablemate .. not only to compare the types , the early Spitfire had its limitations but so did the Messerschmitt , that would make for one heck of a evening multiplay duel just with a couple mates! 8)

CrazyGleek
Airman First Class

Post by CrazyGleek »

My dream would be all of the warbirds with TACPACK capabilities running under P3D.

OK, I ask for a lot, but it would be great!

The Spit is a terrific simulation! My first warbird and I have been enjoying the heck out of it.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I've had the A2A Spitfire with Accusim since it was released and it is a joy to fly. You have to learn how to manage the systems correctly, otherwise you'll overheat the radiator, crack a cylinder, etc. All in all, it is one of my favorite Flight Simulator aircraft of all time, and I've had a variety of Spitfires from various developers representing the entire range of marks.

Recently I purchased IL-2 Cliffs of Dover on sale at Steam -- I mention it only for comparison -- and while the cockpit shadowing in CoD and vintage vehicles and airfields are fun to experience, the documentation is terrible and the aircraft themselves are frustratingly difficult to set up and fly. CoD is designed to be primarily an online combat sim but I can't get comfortable enough with training and familiarization flights to move to the next level and try air combat. I wholeheartedly recommend A2A and FSX Steam Edition for general aviation, and a actually few other titles first before IL2:CoD for WWII air combat, but if you're looking for an inexpensive option that includes early Bf-109s, Spitfires, Hurricanes and Tigermoths, Cliffs of Dover might be of interest to you.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

flash2
Senior Airman

Post by flash2 »

To Oracle427 and Lewis and other forum members

I have review and investigated most of your previous suggestions on building a flight simulator for the Spitfire A2A software and have selected a system which I would like to describe here for your review to determine the compatibility for the latest Spitfire software with Accu-Sim. Please consider requirements for any future developments in process or possibly planned for the Spitfire including that of chasing and firing at a Me109 if in the cards. Boultbee Flight Academy presently offers this actual flight experience with two Spitfire TR6s chasing a Me 109 without munitions of course.

The System that I envision consist of the following components.
1- Flight Helmet (optional) http://www.jonnywilliamson.com/product/ ... collection
2- Joy Stick - http://www.chproducts.com/Fighterstick-v13-p-181.html#4
3- Rudder pedals - http://www.chproducts.com/Pro-Pedals-v13-d-716.html
4- Computer -http://xforcepc.com/index.php/flight-si ... aming.html
(note Windows 10) – Is video card capacity sufficient?
5- Display - one 27” LED Backlit 1920 X 1080 Resolution
6- Software – MSFSX - Steam, Spitfire Wings of Power with Accu-Sim add on, Local flight sites, (Goodwood & vicinity & Fairfield county Ct, USA where I live)
7- Speakers - I have a set from Dell and a headset.

Additional questions:
1) What is FSX 3PD and is it a standard part of FSX?
2) Is FSX 3PD required or desired for A2A Spitfire simulations?
3) Do local flight areas or maps have to be purchased separately from FSX or Third source?
4) If I have to navigate other than visual is that part of FSX and is it extra?
5) Can the cockpit view be lower to see key instruments during flight while maintaining a good forward flight view?
6) Is there anything I am missing?

Thank you. I look forward to your comments.

John
Last edited by flash2 on 20 Feb 2016, 18:39, edited 2 times in total.

flash2
Senior Airman

Post by flash2 »

Sorry the key component didn't make it as a hyperlink

Here it is hopefully:

Computer

http://xforcepc.com/index.php/flight-si ... aming.html

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Flash2, you nshould post down in the Accu-Sim Spitfire forums where the resident Spitfire
expert , Darryl aka Killratio, is likely to see your posts.

He has a full blown Spitfire sim pit with helmet, goggles, fllight gear etc as well as the
real and manufactured hardware...gauges, etc.

He's out in western Australia so depending upon your time zone replies and interchanges
may take a while :)

Paul

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

The system looks ok for your needs so I think you have a pretty good shopping list. I would again say though, baby steps would be best. So the system the base FSX software and the stick to start with and then venture off from there.

thanks,
Lewis

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”