Spitfire Mk 2 simulations

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Spitfire Mk 2 simulations

Post by Oracle427 »

As has been noted by Lewis, it may be very frustrating to commit so much so quickly with a very steep learning curve. The FSX/P3D/Steam engines take some getting used to along with all their quirks so that you can configure them to your liking.

Crawl before walking before running. You're going into a sprint without a warmup!
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

flash2
Senior Airman

Post by flash2 »

Does the Spitfire Wings of Power 3 with the accu-sim add on work with windows 10?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

yes works great as what you should really be asking is if FSX works on win10 and yes again FSX Steam edition works great with win10.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

flash2
Senior Airman

Post by flash2 »

Thanks guys,

I'm good to go! I am sure I will be talking again when I get to use the simulator. Xforce is doing the build and software integration an test for me.

John

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Be prepared for some frustration and a learning curve and treat it like real flight training, at the beginning it might be best to stay away from the spitfire and get the basics of flight sorted in a trainer like a 172.

We are here to answer and help as we can, look forward to hearing you have your kit come together for your project.

thanks,
Lewis

T6flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by T6flyer »

Frustration indeed.....We had a Spitfire (dare I say it someone else's!) on our Museum simulator down at Newquay and when people wanted a change from classic jets, we let them try and fly the Spitfire. Time and time again, they just opened up the throttle and ended up off the side of the runway upside down. Some visitors tried 5 times at least and then complained that it was not realistic!

A good friend of mine was killed in a two seat Spitfire in 2001 where the pupil misjudged his approach on a circuit and opened up to full power, where the Spitfire torque rolled into the ground.

flash2
Senior Airman

Post by flash2 »

Somewhere on the forum I saw a Spitfire start/fly/land written procedure that looked rather official.

Was it for the Spitfire simulation, actual plane, or both?

How can I find it again so I can review and learn and use?

I tried the search unsuccessfully.

John

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

From memory..both the BBMF procedures and the WW2 docs are in the A2A Documents section on your C: drive after installation.

They are both only slightly modified from various copies of the original documents.

The BBMF checklists are much more conservative and represent how the Spit is flown today.

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

flash2
Senior Airman

Post by flash2 »

Thank you

I found what I was looking for:

Flying the Spitfire: Flying a circuit - Author Mitchell A2A- posted March13,2011

flash2
Senior Airman

Post by flash2 »

My simulator is set up and I have yet to take my first flight as I am reading over the manual and procedures for better understanding.

I am starting out with the MK1 - fixed prop

I have a few questions before proceeding:

Climb rate- pg 61 states 185mph optimum speed but does not indicate rate to track on meter
What are units on rate of climb meter?
Statement - clear nose - What mean?

Boost - Discussed many times and Boost cutout indicated but no mention of controlling boost.
- If boost in not at correct indication at specified rmp what is to be done?

Braking - When I click on brake lever it goes from full on to full off. How to use when landing
( Click momentarily?)
I do have the CH Rudder pedals which apply brakes when depressed
Haven't tried it yet - any comments?

Thanks
John

Trolly - When using does any other cockpit switch applies. I see a contact switch in the IFF area of the cockpit
know about the starter etc.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Climb Rate. The scale is in Thousands of feet per Minute.

To climb, set climbing boost that you want and adjust nose angle to get 185mph ASI. Let ALL the rest take care of itself.

Clear the nose....lower nose occasionally to make sure nothing is coming at you whilst you climb. No good setting up the perfect climb and then having an airliner fly into you that you didn't see!

Boost is controlled with the throttle. set the boost you want, wait for speed to adjust, reset boost you want..as it will wander with changes in performance on a fixed pitch airscrew.

Aim for ONE figure and let the rest take care of itself. So plan to cruise at 220mph and use BOOST that gives you that. Do NOT try, for example, to get Boost of 4, speed of 220mph and rpm of 2000 because unless THAT is the combination that gives that performance at least one and usually two of those figures will be different. That is fixed pitched flying...pic ONE figure and make everything else give you that. USUALLY that figure will be Boost in the Spitfire but keep in mind that SPEED gives you the cooling.

Best NOT to use brakes on landing. If you do, tap only...ie momentarily. Remember that RUDDER PEDALS share brakes between sides. There is no "left/right" brake switch.

No "ground power" switch for the trolley on the Spitfire I.

Just connect the Trolley and turn on Starting Magneto. Turn off SM and disconnect trolley when engine is running snoothly.

Hope that helps John.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

flash2
Senior Airman

Post by flash2 »

More questions: - I am flying the MKI Spitfire with fixed prop

I assume that the prop pitch control is non functional here or do I put it in the coarse position?

My oil pressure only reads 34 and says to report to mechanic- How is that done?

Instructions say to set elevator trim to - 1 division. I don't see divisions on knob. Is that 1% or 10% trim

Stick and rudder positioned at Neutral- plane flies nose up and to port pretty consistently.
- Do I reset rudder , elevator and aileron trim for level flight

Plane porpoises during flight - Shall I increase sensitivities in control section?

I have flown twice and crashed due to loosing sight of airport in Goodwood. I tried using the map with some difficulty while flying.
- Does plane show up on Map?
- How to change map scale in flight?
- Any suggestions re alternate views other than cockpit and looking out of window for airport

Where do I find Goodwood temperature to prime correctly at start?

Shall I and can I reduce mixture control half way to weaker in circuit mode (not climbing)?
( I will increase to rich again before landing)
- How to set mixture to intermediate position?

Is there a summary listing of all key board positions and functions for the Spitfire ?
- Where is that found?

I am having fun but yes a bit frustrating especially getting lost! I am a sailor and expert at navigation on the water where things are happening a lot slower. Maybe I should have picked an airport close to home that I know which would not be on grass and a lot more discernible.

Thanks,
John
John

Moggster
Senior Airman

Post by Moggster »

I'll try to answer some of your questions flash.

More questions: - I am flying the MKI Spitfire with fixed prop

I assume that the prop pitch control is non functional here or do I put it in the coarse position?

If your have a 2 bladed prop then it's fixed pitch so the only control you have is the throttle to govern the RPM. If you have a 3 bladed prop, then your prop pitch control is the black plunger looking control behind the throttle, pushed in is coarse pitch and pulled out is fine pitch.

My oil pressure only reads 34 and says to report to mechanic- How is that done?

Press shift+7 to go into the hangar and you may see a part listed in a red text click on it to replace it. If you don't see any red parts, click on engine and repeat.

Instructions say to set elevator trim to - 1 division. I don't see divisions on knob. Is that 1% or 10% trim

I usually set mine to -0.5° nose down for take off.

Stick and rudder positioned at Neutral- plane flies nose up and to port pretty consistently.
- Do I reset rudder , elevator and aileron trim for level flight

Yes, adjust your rudder and elevator trim for level flight. The Spitfire does not have aileron trim.

Plane porpoises during flight - Shall I increase sensitivities in control section?

If anything I would decrease the sensitivity (but make sure it's your controls that are causing the porpoising). The Spitfire is a very sensitive aircraft in all 3 axis, small corrections are the key!

I have flown twice and crashed due to loosing sight of airport in Goodwood. I tried using the map with some difficulty while flying.
- Does plane show up on Map?
- How to change map scale in flight?
- Any suggestions re alternate views other than cockpit and looking out of window for airport

I don't use the map as I prefer a GPS system so I'll try to answer as best as possible. The aircraft does not show up on the (shift+5?) map but is dead centre on it between the 2 heading lines. As to views, I would practice focusing your sight on a fixed object whilst maneuvering the aircraft in the cockpit view. If you're in controlled airspace (I know Goodwood is not controlled) and you lose track of the airport you can always ask the ATC for the airport direction.

Where do I find Goodwood temperature to prime correctly at start?

There's a few ways of finding the temperature for the airport you're at. Firstly you can press shift+z and this will display the temperature (as well as other info) at the top of your screen in red text. Secondly, press shift+2 and that will display the OAT at the top of the display window.

Shall I and can I reduce mixture control half way to weaker in circuit mode (not climbing)?
( I will increase to rich again before landing)
- How to set mixture to intermediate position?

You cannot adjust the mixture half way in a Spitfire, it's either rich or lean. I keep it in the rich setting (white lever backwards) in all stages of flight and ground ops apart from the cruise.

Is there a summary listing of all key board positions and functions for the Spitfire ?
- Where is that found?

In the WoP_Spitfire_Manual.pdf located in the FSX\A2A\Spitfire folder.

flash2
Senior Airman

Post by flash2 »

I am actually flying the MkIa and find the aircraft running and all switches on when I turn on the simulator. Is there a way to change this so the aircraft is parked and off upon program turn on.

When flying at dusk the instruments are difficult to read and I have yet to find the instrument lighting switch. Is there one or is it the side lights that illuminate the entire front of the cockpit. I haven't learned how to turn those on either.

When flying at different speeds I find myself continually adjusting trim to keep the plane level with the stick and rudder controls at neutral. Mostly Elevator and Aileron trim.

When switching views of the plane one view is of clear sky above without any engine sound. Is that suppose to be the view of my parachute when I bailout? Hah!

Any recommendations are appreciated.

I am progressing as I'm starting to have fun!

John

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello John,

under your shift + 3 menu you have option to click cold start for the aircraft to go cold and dark + also the auto C&D. Auto C&D when on will mean each time you load the spitfire it'll load in cold and dark. Remember the cold part as it will be cold, not warmed up at all. So if loading into a cold climate take this into account when starting etc.

thanks,
Lewis

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”