Spitfire cuts out after landing

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Spitfire cuts out after landing

Post by BrettT »

Hi,

I have been flying the spit Mk I for a could weeks now and really love it. One thing I have been having a minor problem with is that after landing I can only taxi a short bit before it completely cuts out and the engine stops. It is not an overheating issue as the engine is fine and I have been flying with real weather in the NW (KJAC). I am presently using the wooden fixed pitch propeller (or air screw if you prefer :D ). It happens weather I am at full rich or lean. I will give the disclaimer that I am using P3Dv3 so I don't expect any official support but if someone could point me in a direction of what I might be doing wrong I would appreciate it.

Kind Regards,

Brett

PS - What a lovely bird!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Spitfire cuts out after landing

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

are you all updated with the latest Accu-sim updater if an Accu-sim user and are you throttle all the way back? If you are you could be nicely fouling the plugs and eventually the engine will probably just quit on you.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

Thanks Lewis,

Yes I am an accusim user and all updated. I will have to look into the plugs fouling. I guess I wasn't expecting it to happen that fast.

Thanks! :D

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

That gave me troubles too at first with the Spitfire especially with the fixed pitch propeller or if one forgets to put thevariable pitch prop into high rpm on approach :roll: What fixed it for me was trying to make sure to never idle that long as Lewis said above. It helps if you make your approach a little bit shallower. This way you'll have to add some power to "drag" the Spit to the runway threshold. But don't make it to shallow! Because if you have to add to much power on final approach the engine is going to overheat. It's just to find the right balance here. You gotta love that Spitfire don't you :wink: :)

Hope this helps a bit.

Take care
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

Thanks guys!

That was the problem. I guess it took me by surprise since it happened so quickly but then I realized I was probably had less throttle than I should have on approach. I should be thankful the engine waited to cut out when I was on the ground :D I did a quick flight in and out of Lake Tahoe and was able to taxi all over after landing by keeping the RPMS up some and giving it a little "goose" every once in a while if it started to run rough.

Thanks again :D

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Great!

Have fun with the Spit
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”