Navigation with the spitfire question

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Styggron
Master Sergeant

Navigation with the spitfire question

Post by Styggron »

Hello everyone,

The Spitfire is highly likely to be my next A2A purchase as it is my favourite plane of all time.
Just wondering how people have experienced doing long flights and navigation with this plane.

How do you all align, get the right height etc ? I understand it would be done like it was really done in 1940 so this is what I am asking I guess :)

There is really only the heading indicator so no VOR / ADF or anything like that.
Of course the PILOT MAP is in there

I am worried I will have an extremely difficult time flying this so am considering maybe getting it without accu-sim.

Thoughts on navigation ?
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Navigation with the spitfire question

Post by Jacques »

Navigation is done with the P8 compass (assisted, as you said, by the Pilot Map- shift 5). This is a true VFR aircraft so you need to fly by visual cues. Also, as you mentioned, there are no navigational aids such as ADF or VOR, just your eyes, a compass and a clock. It is also essential to read the manual, otherwise you will not have a good understanding of the aircraft and all that need be done for a successful flight. I don't say this to scare you off, but rather to emphasize that merely hopping in and then later wishing that it performed like a stock FSX aircraft will ultimately end in your disappointment! This aircraft is a study aircraft. Study the manual, immerse yourself in the procedures, make mistakes, study the manual some more...and then, when everything comes together, you are able to realize what an absolutely beautiful aircraft A2A has re-created! It isn't really as hard as all this sounds, so don't be put off by the "study" part. She flies wonderfully!
By all means, check out the amazing sceneries created by Ian P for period correct airfields:

http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Styggron,

Have you seen the responses in this thread: Where is my GPS!? how do I navigate? I linked a couple of videos which may be helpful.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Navigating is simply dead reckoning with the Spitfire. Using a map, clock, a little math. Knowing the area that you are flying over helps a lot.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Nick M wrote:Styggron,

Have you seen the responses in this thread: Where is my GPS!? how do I navigate? I linked a couple of videos which may be helpful.

Cheers,
Nick
Hello Nick,
No I didn't but I have now. :) What an amazing thread and those lovely UK vintage training videos. THAT is the kind of stuff I want to see. Perfect for my immersion. Thank you. Also thank you for putting up with my endless newbie questions you're awesome ! :)
robert41 wrote:Navigating is simply dead reckoning with the Spitfire. Using a map, clock, a little math. Knowing the area that you are flying over helps a lot.
Thank you Robert. Yep thought as much. No problem. Sounds like fun to me.
Jacques wrote:Navigation is done with the P8 compass (assisted, as you said, by the Pilot Map- shift 5). This is a true VFR aircraft so you need to fly by visual cues. Also, as you mentioned, there are no navigational aids such as ADF or VOR, just your eyes, a compass and a clock. It is also essential to read the manual, otherwise you will not have a good understanding of the aircraft and all that need be done for a successful flight. I don't say this to scare you off, but rather to emphasize that merely hopping in and then later wishing that it performed like a stock FSX aircraft will ultimately end in your disappointment! This aircraft is a study aircraft. Study the manual, immerse yourself in the procedures, make mistakes, study the manual some more...and then, when everything comes together, you are able to realize what an absolutely beautiful aircraft A2A has re-created! It isn't really as hard as all this sounds, so don't be put off by the "study" part. She flies wonderfully!
By all means, check out the amazing sceneries created by Ian P for period correct airfields:

http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/
Thank you Jacques. A fantastic site. I need to work out how to install those things.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

r601020
Senior Airman

Post by r601020 »

gyro drift
Richard

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”