Getting back

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Getting back

Post by n421nj »

As the cold weather returns I return to the spitfire. What a great little plane to fly around the skies. I don't fly it much in the warmer weather due to its ease in overheating.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Getting back

Post by Alan_A »

Strange thing is, I've never had problems with it overheating. Not sure why - maybe I just don't push the engine that hard - but I flew it around Washington DC all summer in ASN live weather and it never complained. Only time the coolant got out of hand was when I was flying after a long layoff and inadvertently left the gear down. Even then, raising the gear and backing off the throttle brought the temperatures back down.

I think I read somewhere that the overheating behavior was toned down a little in one of the updates. Or it may just be that the Spit and I have an affinity for one another.

Am now mentally preparing myself for a season of Accu-Sim cold-weather starts...
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

FlipS
Senior Airman

Post by FlipS »

The real Spitfire can be overheated quickly too.
Running the engine stationary doesn't give a problem. During taxiing the coolant temperature rises fast.
Flying doesn't cause problems with the temperature; watch the coolant temperature and pay attention to the opening of the radiator flap.
If the landing gear and the flaps are lowered too quickly, the coolant starts boiling during final or directly after touch down.
Reduce MP and adjust speed in time; lower gear and flaps only shortly before landing. Shut off the engine within five minutes after landing.

I agree with Alan_A that it is possible to fly a (virtual) Spitfire in hot weather. Enjoy flying the Spitfires!

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Keeping the power down and speeds up seems to be the key to keeping cool.
I can taxi around for quite awhile with a very low power setting and stay somewhat cool. Sitting still and the temps rise fast.
A couple of years ago, in the summer, I flew across North Africa with some ground temps hitting 105+F. No problem keeping the engine temps down with lower power settings.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Same here. I don't think the air temperature has too much of an influence on overheating the Spitfire. I've been flying it through the summer here too (one of the hottest ever recorded) and it didn't seem to be more prone to overheating than usual. Just try to stick with the recommendations like don't hang around to long on the ground or try to keep the taxi short and you're fine.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”