Fuel Guage

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Fuel Guage

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Conext, all about keeping things in context :)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

stiz
BDG

Post by stiz »

another thing about lack of flap indicator .. its hardly needed in a spit, flaps are either fully up or fully down! and any fighter pilot worthy of the name should be able to realize the difference between the 2 states :)

FlipS
Senior Airman

Post by FlipS »

I would suggest to read 'R.J. Mitchell. Schooldays to Spitfire', written bij his son Gordon, and Alex Henshaw 'Sigh for a Merlin'. You won't find an answer to your questions, but you will pick up some of the circumstances of the time. And you will enjoy your A2A Spitfires even more! :wink:

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

The answer is quite simple and is in two parts...

1. The fuel gauge is electric and therefore a "consumer". The Early Spitfires had a "live" system..the Accumulator (battery) was hard wired to the system without a master switch and so any active consumer ...fuel gauge... would drain the accumulator if left "on" all the time. Every single consumer has a switch of its own. Which leads to the second part...why not an on off toggle?

2. Necessity....you don't need it as any more than a guide Many WW1 Scouts had no fuel gauge.. this era of aircraft were designed by pilots/designers familiar with that generation of aircraft. .the pilot knew what time he took off and how long he could fly for. The big spinning thing at the front and the "Absence of Sound Indicator" tend to give ample notice that you have run out of fuel. IMHO no sane pilot trusts a fuel gauge as any more than as a guide in any case. Cessna specifically acknowledge this by making their fuel gauges accurate to within +/- 500 Gallons on their light aircraft.. :) ;) (can I say that???)

regards

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Paughco wrote:The seat heater in my Spitfire is not working. How do I fix that? :lol:

Seat heating in the Mk II is turned on by inserting a Coffman starter Cartridge into the top fuel tank and firing it.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Killratio wrote:
Paughco wrote:The seat heater in my Spitfire is not working. How do I fix that? :lol:

Seat heating in the Mk II is turned on by inserting a Coffman starter Cartridge into the top fuel tank and firing it.
Welcome back Darryl! I hope you are well. Nice reply BTW :)

Paul

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Killratio wrote: Seat heating in the Mk II is turned on by inserting a Coffman starter Cartridge into the top fuel tank and firing it.
You might want to mention the side effects :lol: :mrgreen:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Thanks Paul, I'm taking it one breath at a time ;) !

Piper_EEWL , yes, sorry, it DOES increase fuel consumption....

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”