Learning As I Go

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Learning As I Go

Post by n421nj »

Awesome
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Wow. That's really cool. I like it that you keep track of oil and fuel consumption in regard to the power setting. Very nice. I did more display flying in the awesome Duxford freeware scenery. Have not taken her on a real cruise yet.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

r601020
Senior Airman

Post by r601020 »

Piper_EEWL wrote:Wow. That's really cool. I like it that you keep track of oil and fuel consumption in regard to the power setting. Very nice. I did more display flying in the awesome Duxford freeware scenery. Have not taken her on a real cruise yet.
Could be wrong, but I think only governments and the wealthy could actually afford the maintenance on the Spitfire as opposed to a hobbyist aircraft, but in sim? Why not? Not to mention, this plane is not designed to work at an airport, as I'm guessing it would blow up by the time the tower had you taxi and hold position for takeoff. As an airfield plane, where it's airborne or shut-off within minutes, different story.

Logging the ascent, cruise, decent, and then consumed, etc., for performance tweaks along the way, has indirectly, made me fly the Spitfire more economically, and I'd like to think, a little better piloting.

One problem still outstanding is understanding navigation, that after setting the compass, all good, then flying by gyro, I seem to have to fly +10 degrees from the compass and gyro setting to fly at a true course. For example, say the compass is set at 150 degrees, then I fly by gyro at 150 degrees, I'll be a constant wandering further to the left of where I need to be (true course). I compensate by flying at 160 degrees (gyro), that keeps me headed towards the true course. If I adjust my gyro, to compensate for that drift? it will give me the error message it's not set correctly, so . . I just fly at the +10.

I hope that makes sense.

Have altered course, heading away from the coast in Peru (too much knocking around from coastal winds, or offshore winds, or both), into Bolivia, and will land tomorrow on the other side of the mountains in Argentina.

UFO: Experimental, you have wandered into an inter-dimensional vortex. In other words, you're lost.
Me: UFO, rgr. Last civilization encountered was in Lima, had a coffee, and got an oil change. After that?
UFO: Experimental, follow us to Argentina, will assist with exit of vortex.
Me: UFO, rgr.

Richard

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”