Spitfire fuel consumption

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
AshtonPete
Airman First Class

Spitfire fuel consumption

Post by AshtonPete »

Correct me if I am wrong, but tonight I started off from Liverpool airport and nonchalantly laid back watching telly, havin me tea and whatnot and wanted to see how far I'd get on one tank of fuel... The top tank reads 48 imp gallons and bottom 37, it says that the fuel total is 168 galls... erm doesn't 48 and 37 equate to 85 or was I taught wrong at school, so how can it be a max of 168 in payload and fuel manager. Anyroad I flew from Liverpool over to Ireland, went North of Ireland then across to Scotland and down south and South of the Isle of man. My top tank run out in the middle of the Irish sea.
So I then worked out what mileage I did on the top tank...was 360 miles according to the real Google earth. So lets be adventurous.

360 divided by 48 is 7.5 miles per gallon.

Would anyone say this is true of a Spitfire revving at 2000?

The Cromwell tank engine I restored was a 27 litre Meteor engine and took at least 2 gallons just to get the temperature up before she even moved.
Ok I know its a tank and we only ever got about 1 mile to the gallon if you were lucky to get top gear. I suppose I am saying that a Merlin would be hard pushed to get the virtual fuel consumption in the Sim...

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Spitfire fuel consumption

Post by robert41 »

Yes, 168 is not right. Mine shows 85 total in shift 4 panel.
Did you run the updater?
Better to express fuel usage in GPH.
My fast/hard cruise uses 70 to 80 US GPH. My slow/easy cruise uses 40 to 60 US GPH.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

If you want to stretch the range in the Mk II, try Medtner's settings for economy cruise - 1800 rpm at boost -4.5, for under 30 GPH with mixture leaned. Not fast (about 180 mph) but definitely longer-legged.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

it would also depend on the weather and altutude.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

This is just a guess, but are you trying to use the built-in FSX Fuel and Payload screen? You need to be using the shift-4 payload screen when using A2A aircraft because they have custom coding for fuel, load and balance.

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”