Flying in circles

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
AshtonPete
Airman First Class

Flying in circles

Post by AshtonPete »

After a few weeks getting used to the Spitfire, there is one of a couple of loose ends I need to tie up. For now I have just the one to report.
Once I take off and in flight all trimmed up, temp fine etc, all is good. I will then point her forward and leave go of the joystick expecting her to fly in the direction I point it to. But! once I leave go the plane starts to veer oh so slowly until it could literaly start to circle. It just won't stay straight.
Is this normal? And is it also normal in real life, (I'm sure there are a pilots on here).
I know its not my joystick, its a brand new Saitek X52, just cost me 139 quid. Any advice appreciated... Ta very much :) Pete

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Re: Flying in circles

Post by EnDSchultz »

This is perfectly normal. No airplane, no matter how well trimmed or how stable, will stay pointed in the same direction without frequent corrections or autopilot. Changing atmospheric forces (winds, turbulence etc) aside, various effects from the spinning propeller and engine mean that the airplane will always have a tendency to veer to the left. Futhermore, each individual airplane may have its own little quirks that make it handle slightly differently even from other aircraft of the same model. Generally speaking, airplanes are built stably enough that a single engine prop will tend to settle into a perpetual but gentle turn to the left. I don't own the Spitfire myself so I can't comment on the particulars of its handling, however.

A2A have done a great job in modeling the physics of flight, above and beyond what FSX by itself is capable of. You can't walk away from the sim and expect the plane to stay on rails right where you left it. You need to FLY them.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Pete - perfectly normal! :wink: Even if you fly the Spitfire in absolutely still air, various aerodynamic forces caused by the torque of the engine and the spinning propeller will tend to cause the aircraft's heading to change over time. If you're feeling studious, you could have a little look at this article for more information: http://members.localnet.com/~docsteve/a ... factor.htm

In the Spit, this means that you're going to have to constantly manipulate the controls to maintain straight-and-level flight. The real Spitfire wasn't fitted with an autopilot; however, you can cheat a bit in the simulator in this respect... If you need to wander off and make a brew, chase off canvassing politicians or do something else more important than simming, pressing "z" will engage the default FSX autopilot and maintain your current altitude and heading. Pressing "z" again will restore manual control. Remember - you didn't hear it from me though! :mrgreen:

Glad you're getting to grips with the A2A Spitfire...

Cheers,
Nick

...Dammit! - EnDSchultz beat me to it! :lol: I really must learn to type more quickly. I hear that some people use more than just two fingers?
A2A Simulations Inc.

AshtonPete
Airman First Class

Post by AshtonPete »

Cheers guys, much appreciated. :))

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

The one downside to the warbirds is they are hands on from take off till touchdown. No setting trim then running to get a beer
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”