Looking for Nath's N3701 repaint

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Looking for Nath's N3701 repaint

Post by Alan_A »

Was wondering if anyone has a live link to Nath's repaint of PR Spitfire N3701 (screenshots in this post). Nath's site is gone, of course, but I know that links to his B-17s turn up from time to time, so I thought I'd ask after this one. Am trying to line up some paints for early-model PR Spits, since the photo recon profile fits FSX/P3D so well. Have already found my way to the two G repaints posted elsewhere on this forum. I also tried Garry J Smith's version of N3701, but for some reason I'm not able to get rid of jaggies on the wing roundels, not sure why but I thought I'd try Nath's as an alternative. Thanks in advance for any possible assistance with navigation!
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Looking for Nath's N3701 repaint

Post by Ron Attwood »

There's a very similar one (R7143) by Jan Kees on AVSIM.

http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=156545
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Ah, good one - thanks for that!

Apparently available on Aussiex as well.

And of course, Tom Weiss has a couple (including two versions of USAAF 944) on his site. But a number of those were later types IRL and if possible I like to stick closer to the early-war variants since that's what A2A has given us.

Which brings up a question - for those of you flying the early-war PR Spits, which model do you typically use - Mk I or Mk II? In some ways I'd think that a Mk II would be closest to anything based on or converted to a Mk V - but maybe that's not true in terms of operations. Am relatively new to the variety of early-war Spitfires and am still feeling my way.

Of course, an A2A Mk V would be nice, he said, hinting broadly and joining the mob... 8)

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

At the moment I'm on the Mk1 because I like faffing with the undercarriage! :D

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

As a rule I prefer not to faff - I'm all about ease of use, and the P-40 makes me feel like a crazed wannabe octopus - but there's something about the Mk I undercarriage-faffing that just seems right. Not sure why, just part of the package, I guess. But to my surprise, I find I agree.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Someone else agreed with me once...They got fired! :D

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Ah! My personal history suddenly makes sense! 8)

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I have been a fan of Nath's paints for a while. Unfortunately my interest came a bit late, so I was only able to acquire three of his Spitfire paints before they disappeared off the web. It was in fact what spurred me to make my own paints. To replace those paints that I could no longer get.

With this in mind, may I draw your attention to my humble rendition of Spitfire N3071 which I have just recently completed. I believe it was the inspiration for Nath's fictional N3701 as they are very similar.

If you find yourself intrigued, you can get it with this link. https://www.dropbox.com/s/fcd52t9gkindp ... 71.7z?dl=1

Thanks for your consideration.
Steve

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Oh, that's fantastic! Thanks so much for that. I could kick myself - I went to your site the other day to look at your Spitfire repaints and completely missed the page number tabs at the top of the page. So I never got to page 2 and never found your version - or any of the others that are camped out there. Heading that way now to add to my collection.

Your story about Nath makes me think - again - that I should really try painting. I've thought about it but I've had a hard time finding my way in... and I'm also worried about the time it'll take from the 15 minutes a day I have to fly at the moment. But one of these days....

Thanks again!

LATER: Just back from her maiden (with me) flight, a couple of passes over KDCA at 5,000. VERY nice experience - thanks! one more time...

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Glad you like the paint job.

15 minutes a day :shock:. I can spend 5 - 6 hours, sometimes more per day on a paint, if I really lose myself in it. Not so much these days though, as I'm having trouble finding good quality examples of the correct decals or nose art. Perhaps I'm getting to fussy. :lol:

All the best.
Steve
Last edited by bladerunner900 on 23 Jul 2015, 05:02, edited 1 time in total.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Beautiful work Steve 8) The PR spits always look grand!

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Thanks Lewis. It was a simple paint really, once I decided on a suitable colour and how much dirt to apply. :wink:

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

bladerunner900 wrote: 15 minutes a day :shock:.
It's not by design - just where I've landed at the moment. Am having a severe months-long run of client obligations, which is nice for income, so I'm not complaining, but it's hard on everything else. Added to which, my Burmese cat recently decided that my flightsim chair is the perfect place to sleep late in the evening, which is my only available simming time. So I'm working around obstacles. With luck I'll be back to 1-2 hour flights soon. In the meantime, N3701 will be keeping a close eye on Washington, DC and the Maryland suburbs...

Hey, it beats not flying at all!

EDIT: was rereading your post above and realized I'd never picked up on Nath's fictional number (N3701) vs. the real one (N3071). I wonder if he fictionalized or if he just transposed two digits - which sounds like something I'd do. I write for a living, and am also the world's worst proofreader. Go figure...

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I have a Tortoiseshell that does exactly the same. She's not very happy when I move her.

After re-reading Nath's posts in this thread, I think he just transposed the numbers. However. He does mention a fictional PL965. Fictional only, because I believe the original was a Mk XI. I've done the same sort of mistake but fortunately, I spotted it before uploading. Of course, I've done others. Some were my own fault, but allot of them were because of wrong or updated information. Incidentally. The PL965R which I did was based on this Mk IX.

Cheers.
Steve

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

My Burmese would never put up with being moved - hates to be out of control. And since she's both hyperintelligent (tool-using) and runs the place, I usually concede the chair and go find other things to do.

Her brother, the Bombay, is mellower... but has an uncanny sense for when I'm on a particularly tough final approach and knows that that's when he's supposed to demand attention...

I think you're right about PL965 being the fictional one. I used to use another version of it on my RealAir Mk. IX. Yours is great, but although I'm usually not strict about these things, in this case I'm trying to keep to authentic (or nearly so) Mk. I and Mk. II paints as much as possible - I think because the later marks are so different that it's a little hard for me to suspend disbelief when flying an early model in a late-model paint. And the early marks are such an interesting experience to begin with that I'm enjoying the Mk. I/II paints as a way of getting deeper into the aircraft. I'll probably relax my discipline after awhile and branch out at some point.

Though an A2A Mk. V would be nice, he said, yet again... 8)

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”