Spitfire Mk2B overheat

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
AshtonPete
Airman First Class

Spitfire Mk2B overheat

Post by AshtonPete »

What am I doing wrong? Anybody care to comment?

I am still in early days learning in the Spitfire, I don't have a clue how I even got off the ground, there's so much to learn!

Overheating and crashing over Southport.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Spitfire Mk2B overheat

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Pete,

A couple of suggestions to start you off...

Firstly check the shift+4 'payload and fuel manager' to make sure you've actually got engine oil and coolant in the aircraft (it won't work at all well without them! :wink: )

Then after your, er, forced landing (we won't call it a crash) you'll want to click on 'complete overhaul' in the shift+7 'maintenance hangar'.

Also check that your FSX realism settings are as per the A2A manual.

Once you've checked that, there are few techniques with respect to managing the radiator temperature, but best to sort the basics first...

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Spend as little time on the ground between start-up and take-off or you will be
inviting an engine overheat. Don't lolly-gag while taxiing! Keep the air moving
over the aircraft! Radiator flap full open, flaps UP as they disturb the airflow.

In the air, gear up ASAP and flaps as well if used during take-off.

Get your IAS above 180 MPH ASAP to increase the airflow to cool the engine oil, etc.
( I think that is the correct speed but am away from my sim computer to verify)

When I fly my IIb, I get the oil temp and coolant temp gauge needles
"pointing at one another"...whatever temps those are :)

Paul

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Read the manual.It really is essential reading.
See the videos and more info here
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 77&t=27214

Cheers Chris

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

The realism settings are very important. I've turned a few Accusim planes into brilliant meteors after forgetting to turn off the default Auto Mixture Enabled setting.

As already mentioned, the Spitfire overheats quickly on the ground. You only have a few minutes to warm up, do mag checks, taxi and take off. Actual pilots turned their aircraft into the wind for as much as possible during the ground operations. Keep the radiator wide open until you are in the air. Pitch and throttle settings are important, and really they are the key to maximizing the life of your engine. I blew several cylinder heads before I learned that.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

A low power (0 to+4) and high air speed (200IAS +) will keep temps happy in warmer weather. With radiator door open 1/3 to 2/3.
Once oil temps reach 20 to 40 deg. take off. Make sure coolant temps are below 100 deg.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

You could also start on the active runway and eliminate the taxi phase all together until you are comfortable enough with basic operations. Remember outside air temp will also contribute to engine overheat so you could also set weather to winter time . Practice practice practice. Eventually you will get the hang of it. It's not hard just different.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

r601020
Senior Airman

Post by r601020 »

From a fellow Neophyte:
I'll add my opinion, this was designed to be an airfield, not an airport plane. I use smaller airports, and talk to the tower before turning the plane on. Have read, the start-up check should be 60 seconds (a good pilot 30 seconds) before takeoff.

Don't know your circumstances, but have read elsewhere, and per your settings (pic posted), you have made a classic error in the shutting the throttle off instead of speeding up. It's a counter-intuitive move to cool the engine. But you're going to run hot anyway at the altitude you've posted, and at that speed?

FLYING THE SPITFIRE: Flying a Circuit (Landing pattern)
"The Spitfire will overheat if flown at low true airspeeds (less than 160 m.p.h.) for any significant length of time, depending upon the outside air temperature, the condition of the engine, oil, radiator fluid, etc."

As mentioned, turning into the wind was a good suggestion.

As an aside, I'm presently getting my best results at 20,000ft, in fuel economy and temperature performance, where radiator flap is set to normal flight, and fuel mixture to weak. +5 elevator trim will get you there at half-throttle (2000 rpm).

As mentioned, pre-flight payload check might've solved the problem too. At present, I burn 3% oil per 500 nautical mile trip.

Richard

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”