Spitfire sounds

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Busterbvi
Airman

Spitfire sounds

Post by Busterbvi »

Greetings. I have the Spitfire installed but not Acusim. Can anyone confirm if there is any improvement in external view engine sounds (spot, tower, flyby) when Acusim is installed ?
HTPC. HX750 PSU. Asus Z87 Pro. i7 4770k. 8GB DDR3 RAM @ 1866mhz. 120 GB SSD (Boot) 1TB SSD (Storage) GTX 980ti SC. Win 7 / 64 bit. Yamaha RX-V 673
AVR. BenQ W1070 PJ. 120" Screen. Energy 7.1 Surround. Serving wench & Lap dancing facilities.

Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Spitfire sounds

Post by Norforce »

Just get the Acusim :-)
Ron
B-17 AIRFRAME 710 HRS PLUS AND CLIMBING
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

Busterbvi
Airman

Post by Busterbvi »

Not really the answer I was looking for !
HTPC. HX750 PSU. Asus Z87 Pro. i7 4770k. 8GB DDR3 RAM @ 1866mhz. 120 GB SSD (Boot) 1TB SSD (Storage) GTX 980ti SC. Win 7 / 64 bit. Yamaha RX-V 673
AVR. BenQ W1070 PJ. 120" Screen. Energy 7.1 Surround. Serving wench & Lap dancing facilities.

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

I believe the outside sounds are the same.
They are pretty good.
Need to play with the boost and rpm settings to make them a little more interesting.
Try a lower boost and higher rpm on a fly by.

Busterbvi
Airman

Post by Busterbvi »

Ok thanks Robert. Quite apart from the real pleasure of flying the A2A Spit, I like to re create the airshow experience doing aerobatics over the field in tower view. Unfortunately the FSX sound system butchers sounds in some views which is a real shame. In tower view, try flying it straight towards your monitor at full power and you will see what I mean, it sounds terrible ! I go to Duxford flying legends every year and I wish I could re create that beautiful experience in FSX.

A2A have done a great job on the sounds, if you go through the sound folder and play the WAV files, they are spot on. Unfortunately in the sim, some of the sounds are ruined in some views. I am sure we would all agree that the real life sound of a RR Merlin in a display routine is just pure music to the ears !

I have every FSX compatible Spitfire in my hangar and its the same for all of them, actually, most FSX aircraft, especially tower view.

It would be the answer to my flight sim prayers if a good sound engineer with a studio and a passion for Merlin sounds came up with a utility to solve this problem.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Well all our sounds are dynamic created through he Accu-sim sound engine so playing the WAV sound files doesn't actually tell you that much ;)

The sounds we concentrate on are mostly the internal so it's what the pilot hears. The external tower view is all over the place and not something I'd recommend using for anyone interested in sound.

Thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Yes, I have noticed that the individual wav sounds, each sound different than when flying the aircraft in the tower view. Seen this back in FS9 also with many aircraft.
Roger on the Merlin sounds. After hearing a great many P51's taking off and flying at Oshkosh for half of the week, it is a very distinctive sound and loud.

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

Try an airshow with the A2A P-51- with high MP and RPMs you will get the signature Mustang "whistle" as she flies by... just perfect!

Joe
Joe

Busterbvi
Airman

Post by Busterbvi »

Thanks for the replies and your input Lewis, I note your comments. I feel A2A have come up short with the Spit and focused too much on the pilot experience rather than creating a "complete" Spitfire experience in the air and from the ground which is a real shame. I am sure all the interior cockpit sounds are very realistic and the the pilot experience is quite beautifully done but I wish all that same wonderful attention to detail could have been applied to creating accurate exterior sounds in any chosen view, especially tower view so the airshow experience can be re created with the enjoyment of the glorious Merlin sounds in a display routine. Something that us Spitfire enthusiasts cherish and hold dear to our hearts. The sheer pleasure of watching this iconic aircraft in the air is half visual and half sound and it makes the hairs on the neck stand up ! The V12 Merlin is the most glorious sound known to man. Its the sound of victory !

I would therefore like to invite the Devs to consider re visiting the Spitfire sound pack and re work the tower, spot and flyby sound aspect of it. I understand that there are limitations in FSX and perhaps that is where the problem is ? I don't know, what I do know is that a more authentic sound pack upgrade would be most welcome to finally add a last tweak and a bit of polish to complete this beautiful piece of work.

I am sure someone will post here and say that the A2A Spitfire was designed by pilots for pilots and that's great, I have no problem with that but whats wrong with wanting to enjoy it as a spectator also ?

I offer you the Duxford Merlin Symphony Orchestra, turn up your speakers at the end ..... enjoy!

http://youtu.be/Y5rGyP6SSYM

PS. There are a couple of Gryphons amongst this lot.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Please remember you are flying a flight simulator and not a spectator simulator. I think your expectations don't match the program you are using and it's perhaps a bit much to suggest we came up short. It's like saying notepad Came up short by not allowing drawing?

Also of note is that by default the external sound engine esp for tower view isn't the best and all you would end up with if we did what you ask is a canned sound which would be the same every single time no matter the distance or angle which is far from realistic.

If you want the Airshow sounds then as you note, YouTube is your friend. A flight simulator and in this case realistic flight simulation is just that, flight simulation.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

I have seen some videos of simmers adding real world sounds to their aircraft. Of course this is only in the video, not in actual flying of the aircraft.

Busterbvi
Airman

Post by Busterbvi »

Noted Lewis but if I choose cockpit view or tower view I am still controlling the aircraft, therefore I am simulating flight .... in a PC flight simulator !

Personally I don't care much for the FSX sound cone thing, I think it was a gimmick thrown in by Microsoft in a failed attempt to make it more realistic, it works half assed ! But I do keep in mind that FSX was an unfinished product and never will be, not by Microsoft anyway. So I guess it is what it is and we put up with it until something better comes along.

However, I do believe that where there is a will there is a way, I also believe that A2A are the most talented developers out there and the depth of experience is quite unique. If you can model boiling engines and collapsing undercarriage, is it really so difficult to get the sounds right ?

Yes of course there's YouTube but flying a nice display routine yourself is visually very satisfying, in any view. Just a shame it sounds terrible to watch !

Lets go down to the MS offices with a big stick !

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”