Low altitude flying and tooling around

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Low altitude flying and tooling around

Post by shortspecialbus »

Hi,

Based on how much trouble everyone seems to have with the radiator and boiling over, I wonder if I'm doing something weird or if something is up with my sim. With reasonable temperatures, I'm able to take off and tool around all day between 5,000 and ground level (real world weather near EGKA (whatever the temps have been for the last few weeks,) for example, which is basically 0 AGL, especially when I dive bomb the pier :D ) with minimal engine management. I generally fly the 1a, set the radiator to normal (maybe 1 more open from time to time if I've been overdoing it a bit), and prop to around 2400 with the 2 pitch (requiring a bit of management to keep it near there.) Boost is usually between 0 and +2 depending.

From what other people are saying, and what our experts seem to imply, I should probably be having issues with this. However, unless I dawdle like crazy on my takeoff (I don't) I maybe hit just over 100 with the coolant for a moment, and then after farting around for a bit it usually drops to 90-95 with very basic engine management. I'm then able to stay flying around like that, occasionally dive bombing random houses or having pretend dogfights with low scud, etc, with temps never going over 100 and oil temperature in the 80-90 range.

Do I just have a very lucky spitfire? Am I secretly destroying my engine? I'm at about 15 hours on it, with probably 7-10 of doing low level whatever, and there's been absolutely no problems whatsoever that I'm aware of, condition is beautiful, etc. I know the spitfire isn't designed for this sort of thing really, but it's *my* fake spitfire so I'll do whatever I want with it! ;) At the same time, I'd rather not abuse the poor thing. She seems happy enough so far.

Thanks,

-stefan

edit: speed -> pitch on the prop, typo :(
edit2: altitude/weather clarification

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Low altitude flying and tooling around

Post by JoeS475 »

No, your Spitfire behaves exactly as mine currently does. The real issue was with the initial release of the Spitfire, before any updates.... If you were to re-install it from scratch, and fly it without updating it, you'd find it a huge challenge to get airborne and climb to a certain altitude at a certain rate. It was so sensitive that even on a nice, short approach to land, dropping my flaps and gear as late as I was comfortable doing, that by the time I'd exited the runway and taxied to a parking spot it was boiling over, or about to.

To be fair, to a degree I preferred this behavior as it was a real challenge to fly without messing up the engine. Now you can hop in and go, and as long as you keep the boost at a reasonable level you can fly all day long with no consequence.

Based on the fact I don't see the Battle of Britain as being winnable with the engine as it was on initial release, I have to guess the update is more authentic, even if it is easier!

Joe
Joe

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Ok, that's good to know. Honestly the only time I've ever boiled the radiator was when P3D 2.1 wasn't working correctly and the radiator shutters weren't opening properly and so there was nothing to be done about it and it'd boil over basically right away. I haven't really had any trouble at all with temps unless I go deliberately out of my way, which led me to believe that either 1.) something changed or 2.) I'm the only one who read the manual and didn't try blasting around with the throttle at full and hitting the ABCO for takeoff. Then again, I don't really stay at full throttle in the Cessna or the Cub either, unless the occasion calls for it, like takeoff. I'll carry on as is and continue to keep an eye on temps and pressures.

Thanks,

-stefan

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Never underestimate number 2 shortspecialbus :mrgreen:

Its a highly tuned piece of equipment that even during the height of the Battle of Britain pilots had a lot of hours and even more ground school before they where let anywhere near an advanced trainer, let alone a Spitfire or Hurricane :wink:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Lewis - A2A wrote:Never underestimate number 2 shortspecialbus :mrgreen:

Its a highly tuned piece of equipment that even during the height of the Battle of Britain pilots had a lot of hours and even more ground school before they where let anywhere near an advanced trainer, let alone a Spitfire or Hurricane :wink:
Oh believe me, I never underestimate the power of number 2. If only there was a boost cutout for that after my wife's delicious enchiladas. Oh wait, are we talking about airplanes?

-stefan

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

hahahahaha :mrgreen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmJKY59NX8o[/youtube]
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

The secret is in power settings. Keep the boost low, and the temps will be fine. I flew across northern Africa last summer, in some places the temps getting up to 107F. The Spitfire did surprisingly well.

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”