P8 Compass

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Calvert
Airman Basic

P8 Compass

Post by Calvert »

Hi,

Does anyone know how I can get a better view of the P8? I use Track IR 5 but still have great difficulty in reading the compass. Is there a snap view or something like that? Does anyone else have trouble reading it?

Thanks.

p.s. I posted another thread but couldn't loads photo's.... doers anyone know how?

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: P8 Compass

Post by Killratio »

Calvert wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know how I can get a better view of the P8? I use Track IR 5 but still have great difficulty in reading the compass. Is there a snap view or something like that? Does anyone else have trouble reading it?

Thanks.

p.s. I posted another thread but couldn't loads photo's.... doers anyone know how?

Photos...use photobucket.com..free sign up.

P8..truly abysmal bit of kit..I assure you that the A2A one is easier to use than the real thing!! The view doesn't get any better than you can get with TiR 5 and at least with that you don't have to bump your head on the cockpit coaming, canopy, gunsight, windscreen armour etc to get an overhead view. Bottom line is that you are seeing just some of the difficulty that realSpitfire pilot's deal with in navigating.

regards

Darryl :wink:
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

mkjordan
Senior Airman

Post by mkjordan »

I use EZdok, with EZCA you can put the camera where you want save it on a switch or key and change camera positions as you want, you can programme them with effects too.
on the minus side it's not cheap though.

M. Jordan.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

mkjordan wrote:you can put the camera where you want save it on a switch or key

Cheat!! :P :lol: 8)
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

mkjordan
Senior Airman

Post by mkjordan »

Hi Darryl
If you want to take on a Messerschmitt you have to cheat a little :lol: :twisted:

M. Jordan.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

I'll buy that! :D

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Just for interest, here is bit of info I wrote out a while back for someone.:

"I have finally converted my physical cockpit compass from a Whiskey setup to a full replica of the P8 (that took some doing, I can assure you!!). I did have just a whiskey compass sitting down in a P8 body...but it still had the moving heading strip....THAT was hard enough to see and keep aligned....

What I have found now with the P8 is that unless the heading desired is North or South it is a nightmare finding a course, (and I have an eight point "spider" in the replica). The replica is the same size, position and function as the real compass, one of which I have. I have also used one in the Tigermoth, wherein it is positioned much more conveniently and sensibly. The replica does not, however, have the spider dipping and bobbing up and down (the spider was designed to allow for 16 degrees of tilt to allow for the variance in magnetic field and for some shock absorbsion but which ALSO creates a much more complex parallax problem!) I did however "lean" my spider a fixed 10 or so degrees (down right) to create some extra "fun".

The really striking thing is that I now know WHY Taylor said he could only fly within 5 degrees with the damned thing (and even THAT sort of accuracy must have taken a reall skill, believe me).

The answer is parallax error. Whilst setting the desired course is easy with the lubber line, lining the north pointer up with "North" is nigh on impossible on some headings, with parallax error of anything up to 8-10 degrees and no reliable way to allow for it, as it changes wildly depending on heading. Nor can you easily move your head to come over the compass and line up..the gunsight, your straps and the canopy all conspire against you on this point. Sometimes you need to lean way over to the right, sometimes left, soemtimes over the top. All are equally impractical. Sometimes you need to try to line up one of the alternate "arms" (legs??) of the spider on a straight line through 180 degrees AND guess which "pair" of degrees is the right one to make the North needle center on the north scale line, as the parallax error can make it look like, say, 198/18, 200/20, 202/22 or 204/24 ALL make the two arms line up perfectly!!

It is easy to see why the early "two guideline" unit was replaced with the "T-bar" guidelines and which must make things a little easier but not a lot, I'd venture to suggest".

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”