[Repaint] Mk.IIa P7856 "VZ-E" 412 Squadron RCAF

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
RCAF_Gunner
Airman First Class

[Repaint] Mk.IIa P7856 "VZ-E" 412 Squadron RCAF

Post by RCAF_Gunner »

On June 30, 1941, 412 "Falcon" Squadron was the RCAF's seventh fighter squadron formed overseas. They were part of the Canadian Digby Wing in 12 Group. Their first operational sortie was on August 31, 1941 when two planes were scrambled. The squadron was equipped with Spitfire Mk. IIa aircraft, at the time, freshly painted in the new Dark Green / Ocean Grey / Medium Sea Grey camouflage scheme with the yellow identification strip along the front edge of the wing which was introduced in mid August. In October the squadron began converting to the Spitfire Mk. Vb.

While flying P7856 "VZ-E" on October 13, 1941, Sergeant Edward Noel Macdonell from Vancouver, British Columbia, was credited with the squadron's first victory after destroying a Bf.109 ten miles off Boulogne during a patrol. Sergeant Macdonell was promoted to the rank of Pilot Officer (J15053) the following week. After his service with 412 Squadron, he went to 124 (Baroda) Squadron, RAF. 20 year old P/O Macdonell was flying a Spitfire Vb (W3436) when he failed to return from a patrol on April 24, 1942. He has no known grave and his name is inscribed on the Runnymede War Memorial, in Surrey, England.

P7856 "VZ-E" was also flown by J5823 Pilot Officer (P) John Gillespie Magee, Jr., who was an American citizen born in Shanghai, China. He listed his residence as Washington, D.C., when he enlisted in the RCAF in October 1940. While training on Spitfires at 53 OTU he wrote "High Flight" for which he is best remembered. After completing his training at 53 OTU, he was assigned to the newly formed 412 "Falcon" Squadron, RCAF, at Digby. At age 19, P/O Magee was killed after his Spitfire Vb (AD291) collided with an Airspeed Oxford in clouds at low altitude on December 11, 1941. He is buried in the Scopwick Church Burial Ground, Lincolnshire, England.

Perhaps the best known poem in aviation circles, today "High Flight" serves as the official poem of the Canadian Forces Air Command and the Royal Air Force. Also, the poem is required to be recited from memory by fourth class cadets (Freshmen) at the United States Air Force Academy:
"High Flight"

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air....

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew —
And, while with silent lifting mind I’ve trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
- Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr.
My rendition of "VZ-E" is published in honour of the memory of these two brave men.

This should be uploaded to the Sim-Outhouse later today.

Cheers,
Rick

Bleddyn
Senior Airman

Re: [Repaint] Mk.IIa P7856 "VZ-E" 412 Squadron RCAF

Post by Bleddyn »

RCAF paints always appreciated.

Looks great, thanks!
ImageImage

Toonsis
Technical Sergeant

Re: [Repaint] Mk.IIa P7856 "VZ-E" 412 Squadron RCAF