[Repaint] A danish Spitfire

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
KaptajnKjuk
Airman First Class

[Repaint] A danish Spitfire

Post by KaptajnKjuk »

This is probably only interesting for the few scandinavian members of this site; anyway here goes:

My number 2 (released) repaint is of a danish spitfire. After the war in '48 and '49, when the RAF sent excess Spitfires to allied countries to help out weapons wise, Denmark received 38 of these. They were both high and low altitude Mk.IX E's and two of them were PR MK.XI's.

The Spits were nicknamed "Arrigtrolden" amongst the pilots and groundcrew - it translates to somethign along the lines of "the angry troll" or "the grumpy troll".
The Spitfires, being the first real fighter plane to serve in Denmark, had a quite rough time here. They were flown hard, fast and low, which resulted in quite frequent crashes. Actually, 8 of the 38 were damaged beyond sensible repair, 4 of the crashes being fatal.

Examples are:

- 41-408 which hit a tree during a ground attack exercise.
- 41-404 and 412 were discarded after a collision during head-on attack practice.
- One (Its registration unknown to me) collided with a tractor, during an exercise.
- 41-419 / 420 and 424 which were all discarded after bellylandings, two of them because of engine failure.

Also there are quite a few interesting stories and some of incidents that didn't go that wrong. One story tells the tale of a pilot who did a very, very low flight over the waters of Ringkøbing fiord. When he returned, the mechanic couldn't believe his eyes when he saw that the pilot had cut the outermost 20 cm of the propeller!

But as all Spitfire pilots, the danes regarded it as a wonderfull plane to fly. By the mid 50'ies, all the Spitfires were either crashed, scrapped or used as practice airframes for mechanical students.

This particular plane, 41-422 (former RAF registration RN252) has a succesfull service life, untill scrapped in September 1952. Please notice the little "Arrigtrold" on the side of the engine cowling. Because the picture I found of it is quite bad, I had to do this from scrath and much to my own design..

Download link:
http://peecee.dk/upload/view/291035
Last edited by KaptajnKjuk on 18 Feb 2011, 16:12, edited 3 times in total.

Kalle
Airman

Re: [Repaint] A danish Spitfire

Post by Kalle »

Wow! Nice storry! :D

Glad to see that it was´nt only the swedish airforce who trashed the whole spitfire fleet in the 50s! :lol:
Have´nt think about the danish ww2 history, but you guys were in the middle of the heat at that time. :idea:

Interesting storry anyway, will download when i get home an have a flight in your repaint!
The swede!

Manor
Senior Airman

Post by Manor »

Ja det er fint og se noen dansker her.
Med venlig hilsen fra den svenske troll. 8)

Please excuse my bad Danish, but it's great to hear some more Spit stories outside of
battle of britain.

And nice looking repaint! :wink:

Zorg12
Senior Airman

Post by Zorg12 »

Thanks for the paint and the background story. Arrigtrolden - Couldn't they have made up a cooler sounding name lol :D We Scandinavians weren't quite the ultimate fighter pilots back in those days eh :)

Regards

Kristian, Copenhagen.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Beautiful! 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

llama1910
Airman Basic

Post by llama1910 »

Hi,

it looks great :)

Is this repaint still available for download somewhere? The provided link does not work

Cheers
Carsten

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Welcome to the forums Carsten,

I would suggest giving the author a PM on the forums as its an older thread.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Nice repaint :!: :!:
I'll ad to the one I had done earlier: http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 98&t=46938
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Very nice
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”