My first A2A Spit film

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

My first A2A Spit film

Post by Adam_NZ »

This was initially in the Tech Support forum, but I thought I'd share it here ... comments welcome!

Air display routine (HD).

To a certain extent, it tries to mimic a static "spectator view" (by using the tower view) - rather than fancy zooms/pans etc. that you wouldn't get with the naked eye. It's all in "one take" ... no edits.

The landing got cut short as the bloomin' phone went just after touchdown ... grrrr ... and I couldn't be bothered to re-fly.
--
Image--Image

JamesChams
Airman First Class

Re: My first A2A Spit film

Post by JamesChams »

Thats pretty good! :D Makes one feel like their watching an Airshow *pracitse session.*

Looking forward to your next ones... :wink:
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,

from,
James F. Chams

wallydog
Senior Airman

Post by wallydog »

Nice vid...what program are you using to records? FRAPS?

killerwatt
BDG

Post by killerwatt »

Really nice vid. I enjoyed watching that.
"He's talking about our mess bills - Sqn Ldr Brian Lane 19(F)Sqn RAF (Having heard Churchill's 'Never in the field' speech)"

Radeon HD 4870 Vapor-X 2GB, Asus P6T, Intel Core i7-920, 3GB DDR3 Memory 1600MHz Windows XP Home Edition.

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

wallydog wrote:Nice vid...what program are you using to records? FRAPS?
No ... I gave up with FRAPS .. even though I wanted to stay loyal to it, after all these years ... because it uses a dumb AVI codec that cr*ps out at 4GB. My PC isn't powerful enough for fancy video editing, so I tend to try doing it all in one take ... and a 5min file can be 12Gb in size (gasp!).

I found "Playclaw" by accident - as I Googled around in FRAPS frustration - and have found it pretty good. Not only does it save at any length (I haven't found a recording that hasn't worked yet, anyway) ... but it saves as it goes, so you don't the that huge write at the end. I think it does micro-pause a bit when it writes, but I've often put that down to texture loading (as I get it even without recording).

The new FSRecorder (beta) does really high quality rendering now, but no sound. I suppose I could always replay the FSR file and just record the sound, then dub ... but it seems like a lot of effort!

Thanks for the encouragement, folks!

BTW .. if you dig around my YouTube gallery, you should find one for Wanaka - recorded in the RealAir Spit (now left languishing in the hangar!). Same deal - fixed viewpoint ... but nicer scenery!!!

Killer ... I crack up every time I read your signature :lol:
--
Image--Image

wallydog
Senior Airman

Post by wallydog »

I decided to try my hand a making a video and surprised at all the cool stuff you can do with the current software. I used CamStudio(Freeware) for the captures and put together this vid with Microsoft Movie Maker...quite a nice piece of software.

Check out my vid below...still got lots to learns...like how to record in game sound and improve the smoothness but I think it's ok for a first attempt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQynZdxTP-0

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

wallydog wrote:Check out my vid below...still got lots to learns...like how to record in game sound and improve the smoothness but I think it's ok for a first attempt.
I bet that was fun!! Great to see video with music .. shame about the Merlin [lack of!!]. I found a snippet that may help you out. I tried it on my CamStudio (which kept giving me an error each time I tried to select a recording device) and it worked!!:

=== SNIP ===
Here is the answer to this question for Windows...

1) Go to your Control Panel and click Sound
2) Click on Recording... If you don't see "Stereo Mix" in the options shown, Right Click where it says "Headset Mic" or "Internal Mic" and choose Show Disabled Devices. You should see Stereo Mix.
3) Right Click Stereo Mix, and choose Set As Default Device
4) Go back to Camstudio... now under options you can choose either Record From Speakers or Record From Microphone and they will both work!
=== SNIP ===
--
Image--Image

wallydog
Senior Airman

Post by wallydog »

Thanks Adam...Unfortunately it seems stereo mix is not available with my motherboard audio and my stereo out uses HDMIwhich further complicates matters I think.. no biggie but I will be missing the beautiful sounds of that merlin.

On a brighter note. I just discovered the video recording feature of the alpha build of FSRecorder and it's such as vast improvement from the CamStudio software I used to record. No more massive .AVI files that need to be spliced...just a nice clean .WMV file and silky smooth frames. Check it out if you haven't already...wish I knew about this latest feature before I made my video..would have save me tons of time and HD space.

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

wallydog wrote: On a brighter note. I just discovered the video recording feature of the alpha build of FSRecorder and it's such as vast improvement from the CamStudio software I used to record. No more massive .AVI files that need to be spliced...just a nice clean .WMV file and silky smooth frames. Check it out if you haven't already...wish I knew about this latest feature before I made my video..would have save me tons of time and HD space.
Yes - I've tried it - it *awesome*, isn't it? The quality of the render is superb - and, as you say, silky smooth.

I wish it could do sound as well, but I suspect you can't do *both* well - unless you have an incredibly powerful system.

Seeing as my videos so far have been uncut, unedited "takes" I'm wondering whether I can render the video in FSRecorder, then replay the recording a second time, using some other app to just record the sound output. I could then mix the two. The only problem would be making sure my manually placed events (canopy/flaps etc.) occur at the same time in the two recordings.

Hmmm ... another thing to try!!
--
Image--Image

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”