Wonder what happened

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
vgbaron
Airman First Class

Wonder what happened

Post by vgbaron »

ok - there I was, cruising along in the MkII at FL24 - oxegyn mask on, oxygen valve on, gauge showing full when all of a sudden I started to pant, screen went black and down I came.

Everything points to oxygen starvation but all appeared well.

What did I miss?

Vic

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Re: Wonder what happened

Post by Tigerclaw »

I can recall a discussion about something like this. The answer given was something to do with setting a gauge to your altitude. Don't know what the gauge is called, but it's on the left left of the front panel. I'll just check the manual, sec. Oh, it's an oxygen gauge :lol: Next to the Oxygen level gauge is the altitude gauge, and a black butterfly, erm knob, switch? You're supposed to rotate that until the needle is at your altitude. Did you do that?

If you did, then I don't know. That's all I have seen in the forums so far.
Tony (That's all your getting, like it or lump it)

MSFS i7-7700 Kaby Lake CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores (Liquid cooled) Gigabyte B250M-DS3H-CF M/Board 32 Gig DDR4 Ram Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB GDDR 5 Win 10 Home Acer Predator XB271HU.

Whitehawk
Airman

Post by Whitehawk »

Did you increase the oxygen altitude setting on the left hand side of the panel?

EDIT: Tigerclaw beat me to it!
Gavin

Live to fly, fly to live.
Do or die, ACES HIGH!

vgbaron
Airman First Class

Post by vgbaron »

Dumb! Dumb! Dumb! I remember reading that too! Just flat forgot to do it.

Thanx for the heads up!

At least I'm able to cruise along at altitude w/o overheating. I won't forget this lesson.

Vic

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Been there, done that. :D
Happy Landings
- Patrick

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

OK .. I've been meaning to ask this for ... at least 2 days :lol: ... how does this dial setting actually work?

I'm *guessing* that it pre-sets the altitude at which oxygen flow starts <?> ... providing you have your mask on and the main supply on. Rather like a thermostat control on a heater? ie. Flow only occurs at or above that setting.

It'd stop/start the oxygen flow automatically as you climb/dive (maybe in combat) without you having to remember to switch it on/off. It could also be a safeguard to prevent you using precious oxygen when you're below that set altitude.
--
Image--Image

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

No, it doesn't work like that. The valve regulates the oxygen/normal air mixture for a certain altitude. As the air gets thinner the higher you fly you need to add more oxygen to prevent hypoxia and reduce it again when flying lower, because you wouldn't want too much oxygen in the airflow at lower altitudes, since that could lead to hypocapnia (too much oxygen and not enough carbon dioxide in the blood).

So, it's best to keep the regulator setting around the altitude that you are flying at. Keeping it within +/- 5000 feet of the actual altitude should be okay, though.
Happy Landings
- Patrick

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

Thanks for that, Patrick. That's the last time I try to be "clever" :lol:
--
Image--Image

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

The flow rate merely controls the rate at which oxygen is released from the cylinder. As the masks were not airtight like a modern MBU (in fact even up to 1943/44 the E type masks are a pain in the ***. The B type were simple canvas bags really.

So the reduced pressure outside means more oxygen escapes from the maks and therefore a higher flow is needed.

Later regulators had two settings..up to 25k and 25-40k. This was actually the only practical distinction needed.

Keep the indicator withing 5000-10000 of your current alt and you will be right.

regards

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”