"What if..." Polish Spitfire Mk.Ia in 1939

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
lucas
Staff Sergeant

"What if..." Polish Spitfire Mk.Ia in 1939

Post by lucas »

Hello,

This is my first attempt to create a paintscheme for this beauty. I wanted to create something a bit different, based on "what if..." speculations.
In Spring 1939 Poland received a credit from Great Britain which allowed to order some planes in the UK factories. Polish Gouvernment ordered 100 Fairey Battle bombers, 14 Hawker Hurricane fighters and was also very interested in Supermarine Spitfire. Because of the risk of war and because the RAF squadrons had the highest priority in receiving new planes, the British Gov. agreed to send one Spitifire to Poland for testing. The agreement took place in July 1939 and in August the Spit along with some Battle's were packed on the ship in Liverpool. The ship was directed to Gdynia, Poland, but soon was ordered to sail to Constancy, Romania because of the outbreak of war. Because of the rapid advance of the German troops and the Soviet attack from the East, Romania did not agree to transfer military equipment through the own country so the ship with the planes was later send to Turkey. As the Turkish Gouvernment was also interested in Spitfire, they received the one which was sent to Poland.
The Spitfire which I talk about had a factory number 281 and serial no. L1066, so this was a Mk.Ia version if I am not wrong.
While creating some paintschemes I decided to play a little bit and I want to create three variations, one of which is already done. What I want to create is:
- Spitfire Mk.Ia of 111.Eskadra Mysliwska of 1.Pulk Lotniczy (111st Fighter Squadron of 1st Air Regiment) in Warsaw, the most elite fighter unit in Poland, which flying personnell was a backbone of the RAF.303 (Polish) Squadron during the Battle of Britain. This is a totally "what if" paintscheme and probably would never ever take place, even if the Spit would be received by Poland before the war.
The plane carries Polish cammo, 111.EM markings, tactical number and serial number along with non-symmetrical wing chessboards used in the PAF.

- Spitfire Mk.Ia of the Technical Institute, Okecie Aerodrome in Warsaw. This one will have a British cammo and chessboards painted in the factory - so they are a bit bigger because they are covering the RAF roundels. All of the planes which were perfroming tests in the Technical Institute had a white-painted rudder. This could be done after receiving the Spitfire.

- Spitfire Mk.Ia of the Technical Institute, Okecie Aerodrome in Warsaw. Same as above, but in this one I want to add pieces of the "Polish khaki" paint which would cover the old markings.

Anyways, here is the first one :) The Spit. from the 111.Eskadra Mysliwska

Best regards and thank you very much for this beautiful addon as well as for the fantastic repaint kit.
Lucas

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: "What if..." Polish Spitfire Mk.Ia in 1939

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Certainly different, love the logo! Great stuff 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

lucas
Staff Sergeant

Post by lucas »

Thanks, Lewis. This logo is also present on the Spit skin from the 303. Interesting story, because it was created by an American pilot in the 1920, during the war with the Soviet Russia. There was a unit, called "Kosciuszko Squadron" where served American volunteers. This is why you can noticed Stars and Stripes along with Polish national cap. When I will finish the next paints, i will try to show them in this topic.
Lucas

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

Pretty cool.

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Would you like to make Polish inscriptions in the cockpit :wink: ?

lucas
Staff Sergeant

Post by lucas »

Hi,
Sorry, I should took a look on the A2A forums before finishing the uploading procedure :/ Sorry. I will try to create some new panel for you and send you a link via PM. Tomorrow you should get the double repaint pack: the 111.EM fictional paint + the one from the Instytut Techniczny Lotnictwa (Aviation Technical Institute) representing a paintscheme which would be more accurate for this Spitfire.

Lucas

lucas
Staff Sergeant

Post by lucas »

Hi,
just to let you know, that the repaint pack is availble to download from Avsim:
wop3_spitfire_polish_pack_39.zip

Lucas

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

These are just great, thx very much, im certain that others from PL will appreciate it too. :twisted:

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”