Spitfire or B17

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
dcall
Airman Basic

Spitfire or B17

Post by dcall »

Hi i'm relatively new to fsx but love the look of these accu-sim aircraft as the only payware aircraft i have- Epic Victory- still feels a pretty lifeless.

I know they are both very different kind of aircraft but i've got my eye either the newly release Spitfire or the slightly older B17. I'd like to use for touring over FTX Austrailia and PNW but not sure which one i'd get more enjoymnt out of. The B17 seems to have the perk of having crew to assist with what i imagine is more complex engine management and by the look of it a greater number of controls to master. I see it also has music on the radio from time to time to add atmosphere.
The Spit on the other hand is clearly a different experience being solo but i'd be interested to know how complex the controls are compared to the B17 and also interested to know if music is still included in the unlikely event i tire of the highly rated engine sound ..and of course there no crew to interact with.

Which do people prefer and why? They both look like different and really great addons but for the moment unfortunately i have to prioritise on getting one of them.
Any thoughts or comparisons much appreciated!
Cheers
Dcall

Bramage
Airman First Class

Re: Spitfire or B17

Post by Bramage »

this is a hard topic my friend. these two planes are in my top 3 all time favorite fighters but i got to say i like the spitfire alot more than the b-17 just because it is a free moving fighter that can do barrel rolls and loops thats me cuz im more of a fighter guy but the b17 is just a pure work of art. the fact that i can fly and interact with the crew and listen to music just makes the flying experience more fun for me and my buddy. so its really depends on what kind of guy/gal you are.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Intel Pentium Dual-Core CPU [email protected], NVidia GeForce 9800 GT, Corsair DDR2 8GB of Ram

Bleddyn
Senior Airman

Post by Bleddyn »

Tricky to answer. The Spitfire sounds more suited to what you want, but it has a steeper learning curve IMO. I would say the roles for each in the FSX environment would be, Spitfire = sightseeing, and B-17 = long distance cruising.

I am sure others will be along to disagree. No matter which you choose I am sure you will love it!
ImageImage

AndyE1976
Airman

Post by AndyE1976 »

You'll be able to get the Spit in and out of smaller airfields than the B17, but it won't have the range and is unlikely to be overjoyed with the heat in Australia (although people on here have done flights down there, so it's not impossible).

They are very different experiences and you've summed up the differences pretty well. There is more button pushing in the B17, but I think the engine management (and therefore satisfaction on getting it right) is greater with the Spit.

I would recommend the Spit personally mainly due to the short field performance and maneouvrability.
ImageImage

sl007
Airman

Post by sl007 »

Hi there!

Let me make a different suggestion.
Go for the Piper Cub/w Accusim first, because it is easier on the learning curve.(and still a blast to handle, took me awhile to do the water brake-thing with the tundras :wink: )

Either way you can´t really go wrong with A2A/w Accusim products.

Regards,
SL007
ImageImage
ImageImage

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

sl007 wrote:took me awhile to do the water brake-thing with the tundras :wink: )
Hehe, yeah. The sudden increase of friction when making landfall is a bitch and can cost a prop quickly.
Happy Landings
- Patrick

bliksimpie
Staff Sergeant

Post by bliksimpie »

Jigsaw wrote:
sl007 wrote:took me awhile to do the water brake-thing with the tundras :wink: )
Hehe, yeah. The sudden increase of friction when making landfall is a bitch and can cost a prop quickly.
Had the freight of my life when I first landed with the tundra cub on a tar runway..
Regards
JB

bes1971
Airman

Post by bes1971 »

If you are new to FSX & I read into that , also new to Flt Sim then it is certainly good advice to go for the A2A Cub initially. Your question is a bit like asking whether you should go for a sports car or the school bus, chalk & cheese.
The A2A Cub is great little a/c, one that you will come back to time & time again even after you have progressed to the B17 types.
My suggestion would be to go for the A2A Cub (you will not regret it) & then A2A Spitfire.
Enjoy! :D

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”