Very Clever A2A!!

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Very Clever A2A!!

Post by MkIV Hvd »

I just bought the Spitfire a couple of days ago and while going through documentation I noticed that on page 35 of the Accusim Manual, the max gear and flap numbers are reversed. So, knowing how detail oriented you guys are, I assumed it was just a test typo to see if everyone's reading the manual :wink:
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Very Clever A2A!!

Post by Lewis - A2A »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

When creating the Spitfire it was a real challenge and a lesson in why creating simulations from manuals alone will rarely if ever end in a realistic simulation. The spitfire had 3 manuals, one from Supermarine, one from RR and another Ministry one from the RAF. While they covered different things there was still a lot of overlap and a a lot of contradiction between all three :shock: :shock:

When in doubt record the real things and use experts in the field for sure. :mrgreen:

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Hahaha, I fully understand...and thank you guys so much again for the work you put into taking "As real as it gets" to another level with these airplanes!

Btw, the typo made its way to the flap placard on the panel as well... :wink:

Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yeah, that's a bit embarrassing Rob. :oops: Actually, it's one of the things which we finally picked up and corrected in beta when the Spit was adapted for Prepar3D v4 (the cockpit placards in both marques were changed) but I'm afraid this fix hasn't made its way back to the FSX version. Well, not yet anyway.

Anyway, very well spotted!

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Thanks Nick, it's all good and it's not going to affect my enjoyment of this brilliant machine while waiting on the update...and no rush on that!! :D
Rob Wilkinson

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Actually it isn't that mistake making its way to the panel placard...The 160mph flap limit is safe and in fact the placard was changed by Alt 673 on 4/8/42. All later aircraft have this limit inscribed and most modern
ones use the limit too. No structural change was made to the flaps, just experience (much like the temperature limit reviews).

The Flap warning on the panel is entirely MY fault. I missed the fact that a later panel had been used to do the note!!

A2A hung me upside down out of a tree for four days when I found the error, so I consider debt paid :)

My only excuse is that early Spitfire panels are a mine field. I've just put nearly 150 hrs into research and proofing for R.A.P on the SEVEN different layouts of the Spitfire I panel over time.
Next I start the Spitfire II and then on to the Mk V !!

To summarise.. the manual figures were reversed,yes,....the placard definitely should be 140mph (notwithsatnding), yes, but.... the physical limit of the flaps IS 160mph and you won't take damage below that.
No changes to the flap physics were made.

(and just for interest's sake, below is the very early panel we've just had laser cut then R.A.P hand finished. )

<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Killratio wrote: 29 May 2019, 21:32 The Flap warning on the panel is entirely MY fault. I missed the fact that a later panel had been used to do the note!!

A2A hung me upside down out of a tree for four days when I found the error, so I consider debt paid :)
:lol: I would think that would do it!!

I feel your pain and definitely appreciate the work you've put into this airplane! Great information about the structural integrity of the flaps themselves. After reading all the documentation, it turns out I like the BBMF philosophy about flying this classic airplane and I'm flying my Mk II with their conservative numbers anyway, so whether the placard says 160 or 140, I'm using 120 and flying it with kid gloves... :wink:
Rob Wilkinson

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Cheers Ron,

In truth, the flaps should only be lowered once established on short final coming out of the curved/combined base/final, so if you are much over 120mph, you're doing it wrong anyhow! :)

I like the operation on BBMF figures, I just wish I had the self discipline to use them occasionally. Doing mostly PRU flights, I'm usually full power climb then highspeed cruise. Luckily the Merlin actually prefers to have its head for the most part.

I do use the BBMF figures for aerobatics though.

Enjoy flying her. I honestly believe that after 8 1/2 years, she still doesn't show her age!

regards

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Killratio wrote: 30 May 2019, 11:19 In truth, the flaps should only be lowered once established on short final coming out of the curved/combined base/final, so if you are much over 120mph, you're doing it wrong anyhow! :)
Perfect, that's what I felt seemed right so thanks for that confirmation!

I've only done two local trips to date and am enjoying the heck out of it! All systems go and according to Maintenance, she's in beautiful shape...now to endeavor to keep her that way.... :wink:

She's ageless, I'm sure :D

Cheers Darryl!
Rob Wilkinson

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”