Updated ground physics for P3D 4?

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Hobart Escin

Updated ground physics for P3D 4?

Post by Hobart Escin »

Hello,

I wanted to inquire if the newest version of the Accusim Spitfire for P3D v4+ has CG instability on the ground on par with the Accusim T-6 simulation; i.e., are ground loops now possible?

Thank you.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Updated ground physics for P3D 4?

Post by Paughco »

Hobart: Yes, they have "done stuff" to the ground handling of the Spit for P3D v4. They say it's based on experience and input from Boultbee Flight Academy. The airplane was pretty docile when I first got it, but now it's a bit more squirrely on the ground. Closer to the real deal. Check the Spitfire forum for more. I don't know about ground loops, because the main gear track is too narrow. More likely pranging a wing tip. Here's a good video on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a2x4qBqstM.

Seeya
ATB

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

As Paughco mentions, it isn’t so much a ground loop but rather a precarious dance on the tops of that narrow gear. You will tip a wingtip onto the ground (with sparks) before you ground loop. Quite an interesting and challenging new characteristic to master!

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I've been flying the Spitfire a lot lately. You can take off no sweat if you go extremely easy on the throttle. But then you're like those guys in "The Battle of Britain," who were trying to take off while the Germans were bombing the airfield. They were accelerating so slowly that most of 'em got hit by the bombs or ran into bomb craters. I've always thought, "C'mon guys! Hit it!" Well, if you hit too hard, too quick, you'll end up off to the side. There's a happy medium in the somewhere. I managed to get out of Catalina (KAVX) OK; kept her on the runway the whole way, and was still flying when I ran out of runway. This was my first night flight in the Spit. Wanted to fly to Half Moon Bay, but fuel started to get low, so I landed at New Coalinga (C80). That was yesterday.

This afternoon I got back in the cockpit and fired her up. Got out of there with some drama, but not too bad. Climbed to 14,500 and cruised to KHAF. Did a 300 mph upwind, then a break and ended up with a "squeaker" on Rwy 30. Here we are at KHAF, where I've spent many an hour sweeping the hangar, gassing 150s and 172s, and stripping paint off wings (see those saw horses in the back?), etc.

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”