Radiator settings?

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Itkovian
Staff Sergeant

Radiator settings?

Post by Itkovian »

Salutations.

I was wondering if there are general guidelines to the radiator settings one might use in flight.

I understand fully open is needed for takeoff/landing, but what about the rest? At what point should we set it to normal? When is it good to open/close it a bit?

Thank you.

Itkovian

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Radiator settings?

Post by Ian P »

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 77&t=23834

about ten posts below this one at time of writing? :mrgreen:

Ian P.

Itkovian
Staff Sergeant

Post by Itkovian »

I had read that already in the original post, and though it does answer some questions there are sitll some left.

For example, under what circumstances is it good to close the radiator below normal? Is it mostly for when you're altitude and having a really good cooling situation, and so can afford to decrease radiator drag (and let the glycol heat up a bit)?

I understand that in general, setting it to normal is good and flying at 200, then maybe one notch open if it is overheating. Also it is best to climb to 12000" or higher to get best cooling performance, using one notch forward when climbing.

Anyway, thank you, it does help having a reminder. :)

Itkovian

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Itkovian wrote:For example, under what circumstances is it good to close the radiator below normal?
According to the manual that setting was used to redirect hot air in order to to heat up the guns. Aerodynamically the Normal setting is actually the best one. Closing the radiator completely increases drag again.
Happy Landings
- Patrick

Itkovian
Staff Sergeant

Post by Itkovian »

Ah, excellent then, good to know.

Itkovian

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Hi guys.

The only time you would close it fully is at very high altitudes and very cold temperatures. The engine may want to warm up a bit to combat carby icing etc. As NORMAL is minimum drag, yes, there is a drag penalty to pay in closing fully,

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”