Understanding the 100* heat issue

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

Understanding the 100* heat issue

Post by Kilstorm »

OK I get not to take off if the engine is 100* or hotter but heres a few questions.

1) what happens if you do? Wheres the wear or whats expected to be damaged? What signs should I be looking for?

2) While it says never to take off if the temp is above 100* that doesnt mean we cant taxi out or in above that temp or does it? Just not to take off with the engine running that hot. I mean once in flight its ok to run the engine at 110* right?

Thanks for any help
i9-13900K O/C | ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | 32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY | RTX 4090 24GB | 2x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 990 PRO) 1x SSD (4TB Samsung 870 EVO) | Windows 11 Home | H20: HydroLux PRO:HardLine Tubing| 1000w PSU

Bleddyn
Senior Airman

Re: Understanding the 100* heat issue

Post by Bleddyn »

Well just keep in mind that water boils at exactly 100°C so if you are running at 110°C you are trying to cool your engine with boiling water.
ImageImage

MTFDarkEagle
Technical Sergeant

Post by MTFDarkEagle »

Wasn't the cooling system filled with glycol?
Lukas
ImageImage

killerwatt
BDG

Post by killerwatt »

Bleddyn wrote:Well just keep in mind that water boils at exactly 100°C so if you are running at 110°C you are trying to cool your engine with boiling water.
Cup of tea, anyone? :P
"He's talking about our mess bills - Sqn Ldr Brian Lane 19(F)Sqn RAF (Having heard Churchill's 'Never in the field' speech)"

Radeon HD 4870 Vapor-X 2GB, Asus P6T, Intel Core i7-920, 3GB DDR3 Memory 1600MHz Windows XP Home Edition.

torejohs
Airman First Class

Post by torejohs »

Glycol boils at 200C, doesn't it?

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

MTFDarkEagle wrote:Wasn't the cooling system filled with glycol?
Actually a Glycol-Water Mixture to increase the boiling point. Nevertheless the system works with overpressure so the boiling point even of that mixure is increased. Once it starts to reach the overpressure limit a valve opens and relieves the steam. It is adviseable at this point to definitely reduce power, open the radiator fully and look for a decent landing site.....

Oskar

torejohs
Airman First Class

Post by torejohs »

That valve's on the right hand side, right? I've seen that steam a lot just as I shut down. Never taken damage from it yet, since it usually happens right before I shut down.

MTFDarkEagle
Technical Sergeant

Post by MTFDarkEagle »

Negative, the window-deice valve, and the master oxygen valve are on the right :)

The valve oskar is talking about, is a pressure relief valve, which is internal.
Lukas
ImageImage

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Well, you are both right. The pressure relief valve when sitting inside the cockpit is located on the right side of the cockpit... but is not something that can be ACCESSED from the cockpit. It is one of the little holes on the fuselage behind the spinner. You will easily know when the pressure is being released, as a ton of white smoke will be coming from that side of the aircraft with a very nice hissing noise. This is being released to prevent high pressure damage which is caused by the high temperatures. If this is not corrected quickly, damage or increased wear WILL result.
ImageImage
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”