Service Ceiling?

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Service Ceiling?

Post by JoeS475 »

Well I just took the MkIIa up to 38,990 feet! Not level in level flight of course... sustained was about 37,400 feet. Is there any way to get higher? I'm not good manipulating the prop so I was wondering if maybe I could break 40k?

BTW I got to fly with the radiator SHUT! Never thought that would happen!

Joe
Joe

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Service Ceiling?

Post by lonewulf47 »

Why would you go higher? Remember, it's a Spitfire, not a Space Shuttle... :lol: And ... of course you will end up there with the cooler flaps closed. The engine develops only a few hundred HP and the air is around -56°C...

Oskar

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

True, of course! Its just as I test the aircraft in different conditions, I like to know what it is capable of. So I was just a little curious if it was capable of higher altitudes in a more experienced pilot's hands, or if I pretty much maxed it out!

Either way this bird is top notch! The sounds and feeling on an approach are the best I've experienced! And I never thought a touch and go could be as thrilling as it is in a MkIa with a fixed pitch prop and lots of trees... Amazing!

Joe
Joe

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

The technical definition of Service Ceiling is the density altitude at which the aircraft can no longer climb more than 100fpm.

Absolute Ceiling is that at which it can no longer maintain level flight.

For the Spitfire Mk I and II service ceiling is around where you have found. It will vary with each INDIVIDUAL aircraft AND with their condition in Accu-sim. Simply brilliant!!

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

Thanks Darryl! I forgot to differentiate, but did mean absolute ceiling! Its been a while since I flew RW (C172), I'm apparently getting rusty!

BTW I LOVE the fact that each flight is different! Blue smoke briefly on takeoff one flight, a strange clunking sound while cruising on another, having to prime fuel insanely with the starter on to get the engine to fire up on another: A2A has made it so that flight sim never gets old or boring!

Joe
Joe

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

No worries Joe,

When you DO get bored, try an early morning startup in the Mk I at about -15C.....

Just make sure to bring a cut lunch and a good book... :)

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”