Killed her again

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
q3ark
Senior Airman

Killed her again

Post by q3ark »

I decided to push my luck and go for a flight with a really badly worn engine, most of the cylinders where in the red on the compression test, oil and coolant leaks and a cracked head from overheating. My mechanic thought she needed to be rebuilt but I knew better :D

Look at all that blue smoke from the starboard exhaust. Just like my old car, oil's getting where it shouldn't and is being burned, bet it stinks :D
By q3ark at 2011-01-29

By q3ark at 2011-01-29
ImageImage

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Killed her again

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

Should listen to your mechanic, that's why you pay him the big bucks. :lol:

q3ark
Senior Airman

Post by q3ark »

Bruce Hamilton wrote:Should listen to your mechanic, that's why you pay him the big bucks. :lol:
Yeh but the best thing about advice is you can ignore it :D

Got her landed safely, though the engine was totaly dead when i got stopped.
ImageImage

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

I've done that a few times.

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

Be careful dropping the flaps if you blow a cylinder bank like that, though - I did an inverse nosedive into the grass at Middle Wallop last night, because I tried to drop the flaps on short final after blowing the right hand cylinder bank, exactly as you have in your pics. Only the left flaps came down and I was on my back in the ground before I knew it, let alone could do anything about it.

Whoops. :oops:

Ian P.

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

Being flipped right over like that probably made for a fun ride. :)

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

So the pnuematics are actually run off of the individual cylinder banks? Kind of like breaking a flap on the P-47.. Is ashame when you are on final like that you don't have time whilst on your death plunge to raise the flap and recover. Half the fun is not listening to the mechanic. Is why the pilot has the college education. As we say in military maintenance takes a high school education to fix it, and a Bachelor's Degree to break it. :lol:
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Guys,

The pneumatics are refilled from a single, engine driven, pump. So it makes no difference to the flaps which side you blow per se...of course if major shrapnel starts flying around in the place where the pump is...but then you would have more problems than flaps.

Ian's flap failure will have been induced by other causes, most likely lowering or having them down at too high an airspeed. The flaps are held open by pneumatic pressure against springs and raised when a bleed valve on each opens. The oriface and seal on each side and the springs may be different tolerances, ages, manufacture etc etc....that is why on the ground the flaps will raise at a different rate (as there are two independant flaps systems at work). In the air, the high air pressure will take them up at pretty much the same rate as any difference in the strength of the springs etc is proportionally much less.

Damage can occur to one or both at a different rate...so if there is ANY chance of flap damage try them at altitude first and if ANY Roll is induced raise them immediately and land without them.
Do NOT try to correct for a slight roll with aileron as at any time that flap may fail. Just DON'T use them if there is a doubt.

I was always taught NEVER to lower flaps while turning base as the turn can lead to asymetric flap deployment.

Asymetric flap is bad and it was only the other day I was reading an accident report about exactly that.

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”