First flight was interesting...

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Aceman
Airman First Class

First flight was interesting...

Post by Aceman »

Took up the Spit this morning. Using the older style prop. Had to really watch my water/oil temp. Keep the throttle cracked at 1/3 or so. What a beautiful flyer. Even the FPS was just great! I did however started to run a little hot coming in. The engine started to steam.. lol If am now finding that coming in with no flap (or delay the flap) and increase my angle of decent and shutting down the engine really is hairy. What a brilliant piece of craftsmanship!

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: First flight was interesting...

Post by Killratio »

Cooling IS a problem on landing if you are hot to start with. The Watts (Weybridge) airscrew is hard to handle, as you have found.

try to have radiator at or below 95C before starting circuit.

At start of downwind open canopy. Leave radiator shutter at NORMAL.

Keep a tight (runway off left wingtip) pattern at 800 AGL. Get to 160mph by just over half downwind. Lower landing gear at last third of Downwind.

Commence at 120mph to turn in a wide arc from downwind to short final (when level with end of runway)and drop flaps LATE, only when established on short final. Cross fence at 85mph, flatten and ease stick all the way back at a rate which puts you in three point attitude. HOLD. She should sink nicely onto the ground.

As soon as positive directional control is established on landing, pull the flaps up and get the radiator shutter full open. Then, or as you leave the runway, shut off both fuel cocks. You will then have the engine begin to run rough after 90 seconds/2 minutes, pull Sow Running Cut-out. Taxi with as little power as possible but rpm above level where she runs rough.

You are home and unboiled.

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

I did a landing with that procedure today and it worked like a charm. When I reached the parking spot I still had a good 20° to spare and it stayed at ~100° until I could cut the engine. Awesome aircraft and thank for the information.
Happy Landings
- Patrick

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Jigsaw wrote:I did a landing with that procedure today and it worked like a charm. When I reached the parking spot I still had a good 20° to spare and it stayed at ~100° until I could cut the engine. Awesome aircraft and thank for the information.

Well done Sir!!

D
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”