RAF Middle Wallop

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

RAF Middle Wallop

Post by Ian P »

Apologies to those not interested in this, but Lewis told me to post when I'd uploaded it, so here it is.

RAF Middle Wallop (it's between Over Wallop and Nether Wallop, in case you were wondering...) was an inter-war expansion airfield originally intended as a bomber field, but becoming a fighter station for the entirety of World War Two.

Both 234 and 609 Squadrons operated Spitfire Mk.Ia fighters from Middle Wallop during the Battle of Britain, so I felt it was an appropriate one to do. It also gets rid of the "somewhat basic" default FSX rendition and makes it a lot more accurate to what was there then and, indeed, what the Army Air Corps use now.

For more information and to download, click here: http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/node/81

Ian P.
(Who is now off to find a painkiller, as fast as he can limp.)

q3ark
Senior Airman

Re: RAF Middle Wallop

Post by q3ark »

That looks realy good, thanks for posting. I'll download it right away :D
ImageImage

lawdawg
Senior Airman

Post by lawdawg »

Thank you Ian.
I appreciate your work and effort.
Have some of your scenery and enjoy it. :D
Chad (PAEN)

ICDP
BDG & A2A

Post by ICDP »

Great work Ian, I have a new place to visit on my WWII Aerodrome tour :D

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

Thanks guys.

At some point, I'll go back to trying to turn this...

...into something vaguely resembling RAF Hornchurch.

Anyone know anything about "Hangars: Civilian x2" that might help me? ;)

Ian P.

Bleddyn
Senior Airman

Post by Bleddyn »

Nice new addition Ian. Your sceneries have been the biggest part in my project to create a 1940's Britain in my FSX. Thank you for creating, and sharing them.
ImageImage

killerwatt
BDG

Post by killerwatt »

A 1940's Britain in FSX is something I would pay for!
"He's talking about our mess bills - Sqn Ldr Brian Lane 19(F)Sqn RAF (Having heard Churchill's 'Never in the field' speech)"

Radeon HD 4870 Vapor-X 2GB, Asus P6T, Intel Core i7-920, 3GB DDR3 Memory 1600MHz Windows XP Home Edition.

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

The big problem is the landclass, roads and railways.

Getting rid of the modern buildings isn't that hard. The autogen file can be modified by hand to remove them (a pain, but perfectly possible) or the autogen annotator tool could be used to achieve the same end result. The "landmark" objects can be carefully excluded.

The problem is Dr. Beeching's report, the motorway and A road construction programme, all the bypasses, industrial estates, Telford, Redditch... The UK landscape has changed massively since the start of the 1960s, let alone World War 2.

Even if it were possible to cheaply obtain digital landclass and vector data for the WW2 era, someone would need to convert it into a format that FSX could read and do the conversion. You'd also need to change every landclass texture tile used in the UK in all seasons to look like the period. There's a knock-on effect from that which would affect other countries as well. When I've used the replacement textures to "green-up" the UK in winter, I've seen green appear in Africa and North America, not just the UK, so you'd have 1940s villages appearing in Angola or somewhere... ;)

Ian P.

Boon1986
Staff Sergeant

Post by Boon1986 »

i think have a problem with landclass, The middle(center of the field) is lower as the roads stands and buildings around of the field.
anything can help me???
PIC of:
GA: C172-/C182-/P28-180-/P250-/ -Accu-Sim
P250- / -Accu-Sim-2.0
WOS: B377-L049-COTS-/PJ3-/ -AccuSim
WOP: P40-/Spitfire-/B17-/P51-/ -AccuSim

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

Sounds like the flatten isn't flattening for some reason. That's usually caused by an altitude problem with the overwritten default airfield.

Fortunately there's a quick fix for that... Try grabbing the following file and putting it into (FSX)\scenery\world\scenery - restart the sim (or reload the scenery library) and see if this fixes it.

http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/histor ... JP_ALT.BGL

Let me know how you get on, please?

Cheers,

Ian P.

Boon1986
Staff Sergeant

Post by Boon1986 »

Works Perfect BIG THANNNK YOUUUUU!!!!!!
PIC of:
P250- / -Accu-Sim-2.0

Boon1986
Staff Sergeant

Post by Boon1986 »

Wee need a paint from the 609 Squadron :oops: for use with this great scenery.
PIC of:
P250- / -Accu-Sim-2.0

killerwatt
BDG

Post by killerwatt »

Looking forward to your Hornchurch when you get round to it Ian. You wouldn,t consider doing Westhampnett and Tangemere too, would you?
"He's talking about our mess bills - Sqn Ldr Brian Lane 19(F)Sqn RAF (Having heard Churchill's 'Never in the field' speech)"

Radeon HD 4870 Vapor-X 2GB, Asus P6T, Intel Core i7-920, 3GB DDR3 Memory 1600MHz Windows XP Home Edition.

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

I thought Tangmere had been done? I've never looked into Westhampnett, but I'll take a look and see what's involved at some point if I get chance. The list, right now, is very long unfortunately and I know I'll never get chance to do them all.

Anyway. Following a flurry of information from some very helpful chaps over at SOH, this is what RAF Hornchurch looks like this evening. There are a couple of things left to do (concrete pads under the B-Type fighter pens and parking spots, mainly) but I'll get to those as soon as my back allows me to.

At the moment I've included the parking in the extension at the North end of runway No.1 (02/20) as can be seen bottom left in the pic above, but haven't included the extensions on runways No.2 or No.3, to the south of the technical and admin area (above the right-hand A-Type hangar in the shot above - they'd be off the right hand side of the pic). I don't believe they were there during the Battle of Britain, which is sort of when I'm aiming the layout at, but am open to comments and criticisms about that. I don't think they'd be that hard to include if anyone insists.

I've also downloaded the paintkit, but my painting sucks, so if anyone is feeling generous, I found the following info from one book or three:

RAF Middle Wallop
234Sqn Spitfire Ia AH-Z//N3277
609Sqn Spitfire Ia PR-U//R6915

RAF Digby
611Sqn Spitfire Ia GZ-N//L1036, Ia FY-P//L1038

:)

Right. I need to get to bed.

Toodle pip chaps, what!?

Ian P.

Boon1986
Staff Sergeant