Questions about Carb icing

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Erlk0enig
A2A Mechanic

Questions about Carb icing

Post by Erlk0enig »

Hi everyone,

at first, I want to send a big THANK YOU at everyone at A2a and the beta team, for such a wonderful aircraft. You really keep surprising again and again with each new release, how much better you managed to go with your aircraft.

OK, here are my questions:
To which degree is carb icing an issue with the MKkI/II? Ich do not see any countermeasures in this aircraft. The carb lies before the supercharger, so no warmed charging air would help. Is it perhaps impossible that carb icing occurs from a constructional point of view, because the intake air gets warmed automatically (by the heating fluid e.g.), before it enters the carburettor? But, if carb icing is an issue, what are the countermeasures?

I hope, I have not overlooked something in the manual... :oops:

Best regards from Germany,
E.
Best Regards,
Ralf

R9 7900 X, 64 GB DDR5, RTX4090, HP Reverb G2

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: Questions about Carb icing

Post by Killratio »

You haven't missed anything mate,

The Carb icing defence is not selectable, it is actually a fixed set of channels which are cast into the carby body of the Merlin engine. These channels are part of the circulation system for the coolant and the oil. So a constant flow of hot glycol or glycol water mix (depending on the Mk) and oil flows through the carby body keeping it warm and fighting ice.

This does not meant that the aircraft is immune from carby ice but it is pretty effective.

As always, the FIRST defence against ice is AVOID conditions which encourage it.

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Erlk0enig
A2A Mechanic

Post by Erlk0enig »

Thanks, Darryl, for your quick and detailed reply. A good solution indeed to prevent carb icing, and I have faith that A2A have modelled it correctly :D
Best Regards,
Ralf

R9 7900 X, 64 GB DDR5, RTX4090, HP Reverb G2

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Erlk0enig wrote: and I have faith that A2A have modelled it correctly

They have indeed!!!

D
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”