Have 'clear spark plugs' as a manual task in main. hangar?

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Zorg12
Senior Airman

Have 'clear spark plugs' as a manual task in main. hangar?

Post by Zorg12 »

Just a small idea here for the coming patch. The first thing I noticed on my first flight with the Spit was the spark plugs were cleared automatically in the maintenance hangar every time I open the menu. However I would like to click 'clear the spark plugs' myself instead of it happening automatically. If you could have a small button you could click and get some audio feedback. (I like clicking things that make a sound in the menus :lol: )

Like I said a very small detail, but I thought about it on my first flight.
Last edited by Zorg12 on 11 Feb 2011, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Have 'clear spark plugs' as a manual task in main. hanga

Post by JoeS475 »

Unless it was SOP to clean them after every flight, I would absolutely agree to make this a user controlled function! I'd forget all the time making my flights even more hair raising than they already are!

Considering in the BoB they flew multiple times per day, I doubt they got cleaned all the time...

Joe
Joe

Bleddyn
Senior Airman

Post by Bleddyn »

They are only cleaned if you foul them, usually on landing and not after every flight. Once you get used to not doing it you will rarely see that message. However, I do think it is the only "repair" that is done automatically and changing it to manual would be fine by me.
ImageImage

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Original procedure was to check plug high tension leads and terminal each daily inspection. After 20 hours the plugs were to be checked for correct gap and thoroughly cleaned (disassembled, polish electrodes etc).

I would imagine that in practice plugs were cleaned of oil whenever rough running was evident.

Normal daily inspection did not involve a great deal of "pulling apart", it was mostly inspect, grease, test.

This feature has been under discussion for a while.

regards

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

It was done this way for technical reasons as well. We are trying to keep our interface to FSX as lean as possible. An analogy would be, to reduce the weight of a race car requires discipline with small reductions in many places, rather than a lot in one place. If you start making exceptions all over the place, before you know it, you have a fat car.

The way your mechanics work is, when you pull the aircraft into the hangar, if some plugs are very fouled, they clean them. The plugs are never 100%, but if they are in fairly clean shape, they won't bother.

So if you see this message, this means you fouled up your plugs to the point where your mechanics had to clean them. So make sure you burn off that stuff before shutting down, and give your mechanics a break!

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Scott - A2A wrote:So make sure you burn off that stuff before shutting down, and give your mechanics a break!
Now I know why my guys look so tired when they're holding down my tail!
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

:lol: :lol:

Actually, during the BoB it was not unusual for the Acks to work anything up to 48 hours straight.
I wonder how many guys died through silly mistakes made (by the mechanics or themselves) brought on by exhaustion.....many, I would think.

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”